Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Armor Piercing

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 31, 2008
Greetings once again, students. I hope my previous explanation concerning damage modifiers was helpful. I’m going to speak today about Armor Piercing. You may notice at times that your shields are not preventing as much damage as they normally do. This is because your opponent has an Armor Piercing bonus.

Armor Piercing is a useful mechanic to understand when engaged in combat with nefarious creatures throughout the Spiral. This grants your attacks the ability to punch some percentage of damage through any shields they may have erected.

You can see your armor piercing bonus on the Advanced Character Statistics tab of your character sheet. This is the total percentage of damage that will bypass any shields an opponent has in place. If you mouse over the Armor Piercing box on this page, you will see the breakdown of how that number is achieved.

Here is an example of how it works: your opponent casts a Tower Shield. This will block 50% of the next incoming damage spell. However, you have boots with +2% Armor Piercing and a wand with +1% Armor Piercing. This gives you a total of 3% Armor Piercing. This means that on the next damage spell you cast, your opponent’s Tower Shield will only block 47% of the incoming damage instead of 50%. Let’s see how this works with a spell that would normally inflict 300 points of damage.

300 – (300 / (50% – 3%)) = 300 / (47%) = 300 – (300 x 0.47) = 300 – 141 = 159 points of damage is taken from your opponent.

Be diligent in your studies and be safe in your travels in the worlds of the Spiral.

“To control the Future, one must look to the Past.”
Survivor
Aug 16, 2012
Professor Drake on Feb 22, 2013 wrote:
Greetings once again, students. I hope my previous explanation concerning damage modifiers was helpful. I’m going to speak today about Armor Piercing. You may notice at times that your shields are not preventing as much damage as they normally do. This is because your opponent has an Armor Piercing bonus.

Armor Piercing is a useful mechanic to understand when engaged in combat with nefarious creatures throughout the Spiral. This grants your attacks the ability to punch some percentage of damage through any shields they may have erected.

You can see your armor piercing bonus on the Advanced Character Statistics tab of your character sheet. This is the total percentage of damage that will bypass any shields an opponent has in place. If you mouse over the Armor Piercing box on this page, you will see the breakdown of how that number is achieved.

Here is an example of how it works: your opponent casts a Tower Shield. This will block 50% of the next incoming damage spell. However, you have boots with +2% Armor Piercing and a wand with +1% Armor Piercing. This gives you a total of 3% Armor Piercing. This means that on the next damage spell you cast, your opponent’s Tower Shield will only block 47% of the incoming damage instead of 50%. Let’s see how this works with a spell that would normally inflict 300 points of damage.

300 – (300 / (50% – 3%)) = 300 / (47%) = 300 – (300 x 0.47) = 300 – 141 = 159 points of damage is taken from your opponent.

Be diligent in your studies and be safe in your travels in the worlds of the Spiral.
Thank you very much for your time and explanation of Armor Piercing, Professor Drake. I was always wondering what that was! Anyways, I am looking forward to working with you on my Novice Conjurer. See ya in the spiral!

"If you can go all the way, why can't I?"
Sean EarthSong, Lvl 32 Pyromancer A+ Student
Justin GreenCoin, Lvl 9 Therugist Apprentice Therugist
Brian Griffin, Lvl 3 Conjurer Novice Conjurer