Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

newbie various issues I need help with...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 08, 2012
hi. my main is a lvl 22 balance wizard, and I am terrible at pvp. I am 0 for 12 in ranked matches, though I did win a practice match once. I apologize for any resemblance to wall-o'-text.

I have mostly been doing 1v1 because anything else appears to take literally forever to get a match. This needs to get fixed. In fact why does 1v1 take a long time, should there be a closest pair algorithm and done?

my questions:

1. where do I get a minion. I had a quest that I thought would give me one, but they won't let me on the boat in krok, to go to sphinx. and I'm out of krok quest that don't require a group.

1.5 everyone I fight seems to have cyclops minion, can I get one?

2. I just have the usual spells, and well I start fine usually I get killed by a big hit from someone who has stored up a bunch of pips or a huge card I have never seen before ( there was a dragon in a doghouse that had a 500/turn fire elf like effect!) (what was that!??)

3. is there a purge spell so I can get rid of my opponents boosts? how does one deal with the turtlers?

4. is balance just bad at this level because my last two spells are aoe and +pip when I have nothing to spend them on? what am I supposed to do to win? where do I get a card that is damage per pip so I can counter?

5. are the big cards people are using TC's or can you permaobtain them?

6. my best combat pet is my blue cyclops with ice proof. is there a better pet that can be obtained at this level outside the crownshop?

thanks for all replies.

Explorer
Dec 24, 2008
All you need to do is level up. To get a good pvp match, just look for a group that has only one spot left.while you wait, you can look for another match that you might want to join if the other one is taking to long. You get a minion from the quests they give you.try to get some friends to help you.(if you don't have that many friends that will help you,try making friends with the people in krokosphinx. about the cyclops minion,you can get it as a treasure card or you might be able to learn it from somewhere. You said you get that you keep getting killed by big spells. All you have to do is level up to get stronger.(the spell you seem to be describing a fire spell called the heckhound.) there are spells that destroy boosts and shields, you can get them as treasure cards and necklaces/amulets spells. those "big cards" people are using come as treasure cards and at a certain level you can learn them. Pets: yes you can get better ones if you level up your pet to adult and then hatch it,bosses drop pets some times, and in the spiral along with wizard city, you can buy some pets. Hope my reply helps.

Erica ShadowRunner lvl 75 Balance~ over and out

Survivor
Oct 24, 2010
i say may cast sprite pet and mid summer's cowl (960 crowns), jacket of withstanding (1200 crowns), and boot of the elements (1200 crowns) should be good with heartsteel athame (750 crowns and total of 4110 crowns)? and minion you can buy them at bazaar and some triton tc (storm spells)

Survivor
Nov 08, 2012
Thanks for all replies. I havent wandered back to pvp *yet*, but I just hit 26, so I have spectral blast and am raring to go.

For some reason I thought I got a dam per pip spell called judgment, but maybe that is further down the line?

I have 8 training points and am trying to decide what to do with them. Is it worth it to get infection from the nightside tree or some of the minion spells from the guy on the secret shop roof? for pvp I mean.

I got the mander minion finally though he seems very fragile for pvp.

with regard to training points should I go life for satyr? or death for feint?

or one of the elemental schools to synergize with elemental blade? I am so confused. I could use the +death/life/myth blade spell of course, but I dont really have room for it in my chivalry deck.

I dont really have crowns to waste on experimenting, so all advice appreciated.

my gear atm is all +pip +health and +balancedamage, I assume the +bal doesn't apply to spectral blast, even though it is a balance school?

I did get 5000 crowns as a holiday present which I thought I might spend on a yuletide spirit, which is why I am leaning life. but if something else is better let me know. thanks again to all. sorry for length.

Explorer
Dec 24, 2008
The spectral blast is a balance spell, so when you have +balance damage, that includes all the balance spells that you cast

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Rabelais on Dec 5, 2012 wrote:
hi. my main is a lvl 22 balance wizard, and I am terrible at pvp. I am 0 for 12 in ranked matches, though I did win a practice match once. I apologize for any resemblance to wall-o'-text.

I have mostly been doing 1v1 because anything else appears to take literally forever to get a match. This needs to get fixed. In fact why does 1v1 take a long time, should there be a closest pair algorithm and done?

my questions:

1. where do I get a minion. I had a quest that I thought would give me one, but they won't let me on the boat in krok, to go to sphinx. and I'm out of krok quest that don't require a group.

1.5 everyone I fight seems to have cyclops minion, can I get one?

2. I just have the usual spells, and well I start fine usually I get killed by a big hit from someone who has stored up a bunch of pips or a huge card I have never seen before ( there was a dragon in a doghouse that had a 500/turn fire elf like effect!) (what was that!??)

3. is there a purge spell so I can get rid of my opponents boosts? how does one deal with the turtlers?

4. is balance just bad at this level because my last two spells are aoe and +pip when I have nothing to spend them on? what am I supposed to do to win? where do I get a card that is damage per pip so I can counter?

5. are the big cards people are using TC's or can you permaobtain them?

6. my best combat pet is my blue cyclops with ice proof. is there a better pet that can be obtained at this level outside the crownshop?

thanks for all replies.
http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Main_Page
1. Check wiki
2. That was heckhound, the level 18 fire spell.
3. Check wiki
4. At level 28 you get judgement, 100 dmg per pip.
5. Probably TCs from the Bazaar
6. Yes, the starfish from Celestia for 10000 gold usually isnt too bad.