Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Best Wizard for a Beginner

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 25, 2010
Hello everyone! In September, my brother is going to make a Wizard101 account and we are going to quest together until we get to max level. I have been playing this game for 6 years and I am a very experienced player. I would like my brother to have an easy school to work with. He has barely ever played Wizard101 and knows little about the importance of blades, traps, and hits. He is 11 years old and I want him to have a good time. I need to know a good beginner school for him. I told him about a few of the schools and he seems to be stuck on Storm. Is this a good school for a beginner? I have a Prodigious Storm (Level 110) but I did a storm when I knew Wizard101 well. His birthstone is an Amethyst (Storm) so I am pretty sure he wants to do a storm. I told him how lots of people will depend on him at a higher level and in hard dungeons (Darkmoor, Tartarus, etc.), but he seems to not care.

I plan on doing a Fire Wizard with him. Is there a good school that goes with Fire? I think he will either go with Storm, Fire, or Death. I'm going to talk him out of Fire though. I will be here to help him completely and teach him about the game. We will do everything, including side quests areas (Colossus Blvd., Wintertusk), extra dungeons (Barkingham Palace, Aquila), and all that other stuff.

Another question I have is will Fire and Storm work well together? Two hit schools probably don't do fantastic together, but we can make it work.

These are schools I wouldn't mind him doing for the first time:
These are schools I don't want him doing for the first time: - I am doing Fire so I don't want him to do it too.
Not sure about:

I know that I should know, but I wanted others' opinions. Thank you everyone!

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
First of all, it's awesome that your brother is going to join the spiral!

As for what schools might be good for a beginner, all of them have their pros and cons. Storm is a very flashy school, so I could see him having a lot of fun with it. However, storm is also a very fragile school. With the lowest health and accuracy, questing in the early parts of the game may be a little difficult. It's pretty much fizzle-mania. If he's a very patient person and wouldn't mind that, I'd say go for it.

I believe in adaptability, so I think any school could potentially be a good fire questing partner. When questing it matters more how you play the game vs. what school you're playing. Any school can buff and any school can hit. In fact, even though balance and life aren't known for being "hitting schools," they are schools that I've seen some massive damage being dealt on. It's all how you play.

Whatever school your brother chooses to play, I say go with it. You want him to have fun, and I think leaving that decision up to him is the best way to get there. Plus, you'll be with him every step of the way to help him out.

~Vanessa Mythdust

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Vanessa Mythdust on Jun 29, 2016 wrote:
First of all, it's awesome that your brother is going to join the spiral!

As for what schools might be good for a beginner, all of them have their pros and cons. Storm is a very flashy school, so I could see him having a lot of fun with it. However, storm is also a very fragile school. With the lowest health and accuracy, questing in the early parts of the game may be a little difficult. It's pretty much fizzle-mania. If he's a very patient person and wouldn't mind that, I'd say go for it.

I believe in adaptability, so I think any school could potentially be a good fire questing partner. When questing it matters more how you play the game vs. what school you're playing. Any school can buff and any school can hit. In fact, even though balance and life aren't known for being "hitting schools," they are schools that I've seen some massive damage being dealt on. It's all how you play.

Whatever school your brother chooses to play, I say go with it. You want him to have fun, and I think leaving that decision up to him is the best way to get there. Plus, you'll be with him every step of the way to help him out.

~Vanessa Mythdust
I agree with this. But if I were to recommend a good beginning school, I'd say Ice or Life. They are easier to survive on. Storm's low health has always been a problem for me.

But like Vanessa said, you'll have more fun if he chooses his own school.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Storm is actually a decent beginner school because it's pretty straight forward. You need to hit hard and fast to survive. Death is a great choice because the drain attacks keep the player well healed. Let him try them out, he's got slots for 6 wizards. Fire and storm can make a great pair. The can easily blade each other and both have ability to hit hard. Having two hitters makes it fun for both players because it doesn't turn one player into always supporting the other. If you can alternate supporting one another, it makes for a good pair.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Death tends to be easy, but it's a long wait to get Scarecrow unless you buy the TC version. The thing with death is, never use an attack that doesnt heal you (level 5 and up). You're wasting pips if you dont use life sap only spells in my opinion (and everybody has their own)

Survivor
Jul 29, 2012
My brother and I have just recently started questing together also! He is a fire wizard, while I chose the school of death. After a week, we are both grandmasters. I have found the combination to work well! As mentioned earlier, my brother is the heavy hitter of the two, but he would not be able to hit as hard if it weren't for my feints and curses and such. I also often find myself being able to do upwards of 5000 damage, so i'm no weakling compared to him! I think for combo wise, this is a smart decision.

Besides the combination pros, i'd like to say that death has probably been the second most fun wizard to train, my first being storm. Death is easy to use and learn about, and I find it very enjoyable, but there's just something about being able to do massive damage that appeals to me more! Honestly, don't let his favorite season determine what school he chooses. Ask him about what his best strategy would be for playing, and then help him come to a final decision! I hope this helped, and I wish you and your brother the best of luck when playing!

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
Speaking as someone who started with Storm, trust me, it's not a hard beginning school at all. You learn fairly quickly to hit or die.

If you're worried about teaming with Storm and Fire, don't worry. (Wording what is it?) I have a load of Fire questing partners and honestly Fire/Storm is one of my favorite combos. Death/Storm is also good too. It just depends on how you play the game. Partners must be able to adapt to each other to optimize their time.

As for what class he should choose, I say let him decide. My sibling was around 7 when they picked a Fire wizard to start with and they did fine. Yours will too.

Explorer
Apr 25, 2010
Thank you everyone for the advice. Instead of starting in September, we actually started July 1st. As of today, July 4th, we are level 20 in Krokotopia. We are about to finish the fire part in the world. Our goal is to get as high as possible. We are working great together but all the fizzles are making us angry. We plan on doing all the side quests in the first arc. I have never done side quests in the second arc though. Should we do second arc side quests too?

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Timothy Lifesinger on Jul 4, 2016 wrote:
Thank you everyone for the advice. Instead of starting in September, we actually started July 1st. As of today, July 4th, we are level 20 in Krokotopia. We are about to finish the fire part in the world. Our goal is to get as high as possible. We are working great together but all the fizzles are making us angry. We plan on doing all the side quests in the first arc. I have never done side quests in the second arc though. Should we do second arc side quests too?
Yes. Second arc side quests are especially important, if you want to learn more Astral Magic then what Celestia offers.

Survivor
Jan 19, 2014
I want to say welcome to your brother. He should pick balance because it is the most hardest school to study.
If he learn how to play balance you don't need to worry about storm death or even life.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
welcome to the spiral, timothy's brother :)

as someone who started with balance, my only piece of advice is do not.

if you want to start with something easy, go with ice or life (both can stay alive with minimal effort, thanks to big health/resist and tons of healing, respectively). sure, life has to wait until level 58 for their first attack-all spell... but, from experience, it's worth it.

(ice has pretty low base damage, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with gear as he levels up).

possible combos:

you + him

+
+
+
+

if you're feeling particularly adventurous...

+ (storm removes blades, myth removes shields... also accuracy debuff + stun)
+ (massive damage, easy buffs via feint/curse/dark pact, good for quick fights)
+ (see above; also massive weakness spam via efreet, virulent plague, and bad juju)

hope that helps~

-von

Defender
Aug 30, 2014
My first wizard was a storm and there were times I struggled with the low health. My brother had an ice and once we started questing together (Celestia), we perfectly complemented each other. I think storm and ice is an ideal combination but fire and storm would also work. I like to have one hitter and one support for double questing but other people's playing styles are different. Good luck!

Moira Stormheart

Defender
Feb 08, 2009
I would definitely recommend a more defensive school like ice life or even death.You have a bigger health pool making it easier to survive. I am currently leveling a storm and its been sort of a challenge (Tempest has made it a lot easier though). If your brother does chose storm I would recommend leveling to around 10 then taking him to winter-tusk to farm for gold. (Then buy monstrous and accuracy buff tcs). Monstrous + temp is really op (Helped me solo MB)