Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Henchmen or No

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 30, 2011
I may be the only person that does this. Or I may not. So I am going to ask. Since everyone has started playing Wizards. Has anyone ever used a henchmen to aid them in battle? Cause normally when people have crowns they either buy outfits/pets/wands and staffs/mounts and other items. They never waste them on henchmen. That is why I wanted to know if I was the only to use their crowns on henchmen or there are others like me out there.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
PixiePrincess26 on May 23, 2016 wrote:
I may be the only person that does this. Or I may not. So I am going to ask. Since everyone has started playing Wizards. Has anyone ever used a henchmen to aid them in battle? Cause normally when people have crowns they either buy outfits/pets/wands and staffs/mounts and other items. They never waste them on henchmen. That is why I wanted to know if I was the only to use their crowns on henchmen or there are others like me out there.
I did once but I never did it after that and I regret buying that henchman.

Lvl 110
Lvl 104
Lvl 27

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
No, I use them too, typically in dungeons. I don't use them for regular mobs. A lot of the time I'll hire Life henchmen to heal me, though even after the AI adjustment a while back they still seem to be pretty dumb about healing at times. It is better than it used to be though.

Other times I'll use them to draw enemy fire while I build up for a big attack.

However some of the cheating bosses have cheats that make the randomness of henchmen a liability rather than an asset.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
I use them all the time for solo school quest battles. Those are hard, on purpose, and I don't care to fight with the game. So I buy henchmen on the first round. But I don't just buy the most expensive. Usually I buy the 5o crown healing draconian and maybe one other. If the battle is too tough, I'll buy 2 draconian healers. Except for my life. Since I firmly believe that life should have quests that focus on their healing not their attacking, and since there aren't any, with him I just buy a couple of level 50 or 60 hitters, and do nothing but heal them and my character.

I don't buy the higher level hitters because they spend most of their time just boosting and never hitting, or the lower levels, because what they have for attacks are pretty weak.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I've used some, but only when I'm really stuck! (That's what they are there for in my opinion).

exp613

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I've used Henchmen a few times - but for healing only. There are times when you go into a dungeon, or fight a particularly hard boss & minions that keep critical-hitting you, so you don't have a chance to heal. If I'm in a fight solo (and only when I'm desperate), I will hire a L50 Life Henchman. He will mostly heal and not hit very often. By the time he gets my health back up, I'm ready to hit and game over for the boss.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I've used henchmen on occasion. Mid level life to help solo certain boss fights. Personally I think they are less of a waste than buying crown items. Most crown gear isn't even close to as good as crafted and dropped gear. Using henchmen to keep you healed so you can get past an important battle is worth a few crowns.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
I have used them for tough Boss fights if going Solo and love them (I wouldn't use on a cheating boss; they trigger cheats).

I've tried a lot of them for fun and have good results with the level 70 ones.
They can be a great time saver. I'm a Fan.

Seethe42 is right - best gear in game is crafted or dropped. Crown gear, not so much.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
seethe42 on May 23, 2016 wrote:
I've used henchmen on occasion. Mid level life to help solo certain boss fights. Personally I think they are less of a waste than buying crown items. Most crown gear isn't even close to as good as crafted and dropped gear. Using henchmen to keep you healed so you can get past an important battle is worth a few crowns.
Agreed and you could buy a good crown shop wand like the fortune teller's gaze

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
I've personally never used a henchmen, but I know many that do. There's certainly nothing wrong with it. :) Especially if not many friends are online for a tough dungeon, henchmen are great in a pinch.

~Vanessa Mythdust

Survivor
Feb 19, 2011
Survivor
Aug 21, 2015
I use henchman when I have a difficult battle that's going to excuse the expression " suck the life out of you" lol .My favorite is Lucius Level 60 he's the best and my Favorite. He's 75 crowns and it's worth it. He not only gives life to you but does battle as well, and also will give life to other wizards and to other henchman in the game. I found out I really don't use the other as much don't get me wrong they have help me out a lot of times. The lower level Henchman in my opinion are better for me I'm a Level 74 but use 60 Life,60 Myth(he's little but he comes out fighting) 60 Storm he's good as well. the bosses know them but I protect them as they protect me. Thanks Wizard 101 for henchman. So Yes to your question

Defender
Jun 15, 2013
I buy henchmen for the bosses. I find that getting the henchmen that cost 100 crowns is enough. I've rarely had to buy any that cost more. The Life henchmen is useful so I won't have to put healing card in my deck. They take up space that can be used for other cards. They're also good to have around when your friends aren't online.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
I've used them on occasion.

For the most part, the game is written so that we can accomplish it just using the tools we're given and our brains. That doesn't mean I'm always successful. I don't buy Crowns Henchman unless I've solved the puzzle or figured out my mistake just a little too late to correct it.

I play this game because I find solving the puzzles (that's all the battles are, figuring out how to prevent the PC Character from defeating you before you defeat it) to be fun. So, in those quests where I'm completely wrong, I let them defeat me. I try again. And again. And again.

It's not the winning that's fun, it's the solving the puzzle. But, if I have a reasonable deck setup, a good strategy but look like I might be defeated before I get to hit, I'll buy a Level 50 Life Henchman. I figured out the puzzle, I may have even executed it perfectly (probably not, more likely well but not perfectly) but the bit of chance built into the game might be the reason my health is lower than it should be. There's no reason to do it again, so heal me please, Henchman friend. :)

I've bought others in Test (and rarely in Live) but ultimately, if I didn't want to solve the puzzle, I'd log off for the day or for good. I wouldn't continue to play if the process were no longer fun.

Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
I love my henchmen buddys and use them all the time!!....like one of the other posts mentioned, a Life henchmen can really help you, and allow you to place more damage cards in your deck....I'm level 81 balance and have done solo on many big bosses with a Life henchmen, and if its a really big boss I might add another henchmen that the big boss is weak to....!

Survivor
Aug 21, 2015
Hi . I am level 74 and I used a Life Henchman he is Awesome. He not only heals me and himself but other players in the game as well and he also has battle spells He is a level 60. And yes it comes in handy if your friends cannot aide you. I also shield him because the bosses will know when he's there and go after him. I've tried higher henchman, but they weren't as good to me I. had a death one he keep killing himself lol to save me which was noble,but no it didn't work out well.. So I use Life he's the best. I also lol let him know. and the people at KingsIsle who thought of this Thanks a million. Use them and don't feel guilty. Their there to aide us

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
I like to solo... some fights you just can't do it buy yourself even if you have the best gear/deck set up. So I do use henchmen. Most of the time I just get the level 70 life (it seems to heal the best), but if I am feeling lazy I will get a whole set of level 70s, even though I am max.. Just to make the battle go faster..

Delver
Aug 05, 2013
The only reasonable times to use a henchman

For the quest No pain no agravaine espically if ur storm wiz
Fighting the crow that gives the avalon spells that she stole from fionna
End world bosses if you have a small special team :)

noob: obviously use them against rattlebones hardest boss i ever fought
me: NO!
noob: waterworks?
me: just team up :/
noob: Malistaires dungeon?
me: JUST TEAM UP :/
noob: the death school dunge-
me: NO
noob: erumrme, kraken boss?
me: what realm are you? the most unpopular one?
noob: i used more than 200000 worth of crowns on loremaster #iceschoolerdoinghisbest #tryingtogetbrimstonerevenant

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
I actually have purchased henchmen from the crown shop before, many times in fact, but regretted buying them over and over again.

Delver
May 12, 2012
Hi,

I am not a person who wants to spend bunches of crowns, so I don't buy henchmen often. I don't stick to one type either. It depends when scenario I'm in (usually it's healing, but sometimes I need them for other reasons). I use them just about every time I do Waterworks, which is not often However the choice is up to you, just make sure to use your crowns wisely.

~ Allison Dragongem Level 90