Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Trait Inheritence

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 19, 2012
Alright. I'm trying to get a decent pet out of the few "ok" pets I have. I am really trying to get a pet with a may cast fairy trait, which I should have in my pool due to a hatch with a friend. I have hatched once with that friend for the fairy trait which I'm unsure the pet hatched inherited.

The initial hatch was a polar fox that is not first generation (which was a hatch with a first generation polar fox with a first generation starfish and gained ice talents up to ancient) with a fire beetle that was not first generation either. The pet hatched was a polar fox and not the fire beetle. It was trained to adult and did not gain the fairy ability. I then hatched again with one of my rather decent fire pets for a slight chance of getting some combat-useful talents.
I have hatched three times so far with the pet that has the fairy trait (I think because there is one uncommon trait)
Out of three hatches the two were polar foxes and the third was the sea dragon I hatched for combat talents.
The first fox gained a may cast hex and ice damage, the second may cast hex and an unstoppable card and so far the sea dragon has the "piercemonger" trait that gives the wizard a piece spell card.

I don't know if what I'm doing will actually work. This has all led to my question. If a pet has a talent but has not gained it yet, will the offspring be able to gain the trait?

Thank you for your responses.
~Heather Ice

Survivor
May 20, 2016
This guide should help a lot with your journey to getting that dream pet.

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?359111-A-Beginners-Guide-to-developing-your-own-pet-talents

Other than that, it seems you have to keep trying your luck at hatching with the pet that has the fairy trait and training the offspring up to Adult. If they haven't been able to acquire it at that point there's no use in leveling them any further unless they still have some great talents.

I'm not a 100% sure but the offspring will most likely gain a combination of the talents from the pools of its parents, even if the parents themselves hadn't learned it. They also have a chance to acquire a talent from their grandparents.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
If a pet has the possibility of a talent in his pool but never learns that talent, it most definitely CAN pass the talent on in hatches. To give an example, my 1st gen Betta Fish from the Atlantean bundle never learned Energizing Battery (may cast Healing Current). 5 hatches later with my Sea Dragon the talent finally surfaced and continued into my hatching pool. Don't give up. Pay attention to the talent slots. You can tell what they are by where they appear if you know the slots of the parents.

Defender
Mar 28, 2011
Actually you can only get a grandparent talent if it is in the pool of one of the parents.

You can get any mix of talents from the pools of both parents. Talents that are unlocked, or would become unlocked of the parent was trained all the way, are more likely to come up again, but it's not a sure thing. Hidden talents can manifest at any level.

Your best bet is to hatch a pet you think has Fairy with a pet that has it expressed, then train that baby. Repeat as needed.

Good luck!