Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical should be removed from PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 05, 2011
Hi, I am an active PvPer, and I would love to give my opinions on why PvP is dying, and the player population is dying. Back in the old days, it was much more simple. The game was played slowly, and there were actual strategies to do damage. Currently, this game has changed a lot, and these changes are not really changes the community wants. You know how lots of people dislike critical and call it "broken"? Well, that's because critical really is broken, and is landed so much. You see, no one is in favor of this critical rng gameplay, and the best solution and easiest is to just abolish it from PvP. This new critical system really messed up lower level PvP. For example, a level 60 can have 40% critical, which does occur a lot, and the opponent has only 30% block. It's not really fair because 40% critical is a common occurrence and makes the game a luck game. In my opinion, the old critical system was a lot more fair, but that's not the point. The point is that critical is something that doesn't attract players. Critical is causing more and more people to flee the game because of how unfair it is. Any critical can ruin a match at any given moment. Critical does not enhance PvP gameplay, and doesn't make us enjoy the game, at all. A new critical block system just isn't going to help. What is going to make thousands upon thousands to return to the game is having critical removed from PvP. I interact with players, and we the players know what we want to be changed and added to the game. Critical is not needed in the game, and just makes it less enjoyable in PvP. In PvE, it's whatever. My point here is that we, the players are demanding that critical just simply be removed from PvP. It's very upsetting when I spend my time and day writing a email to Kingsisle about suggestions and all I get back is some robot saying that they don't accept player ideas???? This is pretty concerning to me, if that's true. Reply and get this to be a hot topic if you think that critical should be removed from PvP.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
I would be just fine if Critical is removed from the Arena.

I find a bigger problem - the shadow pip spells. My pvp char is level 60 and constantly faces level 110 that spam the shadow spells. It's no Strat, One Hit Kill with zero way to counter (I am not whining - there is rarely a way to win in that situation, it's like facing a Machine gun with a Slingshot).
Shadow spells need to go or be limited to a certain Level Cap in match ups.
Shrike and such, not such a problem since there is the backlash factor and it is possible to mantle/fizz them throughout the transformation.

PVP is the only reason I have kept my subs going; but I find I am not playing as much since the updates - It's not fun most of the time due to the lack of Strategic Game Play (I don't care about Rank badges).
I don't even bother with my max level chars anymore; and now it's broken at lower levels as well. *sigh*

Defender
Nov 08, 2009
AngelBlade69 on May 2, 2016 wrote:
Hi, I am an active PvPer, and I would love to give my opinions on why PvP is dying, and the player population is dying. Back in the old days, it was much more simple. The game was played slowly, and there were actual strategies to do damage. Currently, this game has changed a lot, and these changes are not really changes the community wants. You know how lots of people dislike critical and call it "broken"? Well, that's because critical really is broken, and is landed so much. You see, no one is in favor of this critical rng gameplay, and the best solution and easiest is to just abolish it from PvP. This new critical system really messed up lower level PvP. For example, a level 60 can have 40% critical, which does occur a lot, and the opponent has only 30% block. It's not really fair because 40% critical is a common occurrence and makes the game a luck game. In my opinion, the old critical system was a lot more fair, but that's not the point. The point is that critical is something that doesn't attract players. Critical is causing more and more people to flee the game because of how unfair it is. Any critical can ruin a match at any given moment. Critical does not enhance PvP gameplay, and doesn't make us enjoy the game, at all. A new critical block system just isn't going to help. What is going to make thousands upon thousands to return to the game is having critical removed from PvP. I interact with players, and we the players know what we want to be changed and added to the game. Critical is not needed in the game, and just makes it less enjoyable in PvP. In PvE, it's whatever. My point here is that we, the players are demanding that critical just simply be removed from PvP. It's very upsetting when I spend my time and day writing a email to Kingsisle about suggestions and all I get back is some robot saying that they don't accept player ideas???? This is pretty concerning to me, if that's true. Reply and get this to be a hot topic if you think that critical should be removed from PvP.
Yes, I agree Critical should be removed. But the one thing that is discouraging me from PVP are the juju/jade players and the life/jade that heal over and over and never hit, these type of players are looking for the opponent to flee. If you try to beat them it can take hours, like 2 to 4 hrs. To me this is no fun. I think they need to do away with juju tc cards and not allow juju cards to be cloaked or reused if reshuffled. Need to get rid of the heal tc cards and not allow heal cards to be reshuffled. Same way they did with reshuffle. This would force these players to use hit cards to win the game.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2011
Cat Wildbreeze on May 5, 2016 wrote:
Yes, I agree Critical should be removed. But the one thing that is discouraging me from PVP are the juju/jade players and the life/jade that heal over and over and never hit, these type of players are looking for the opponent to flee. If you try to beat them it can take hours, like 2 to 4 hrs. To me this is no fun. I think they need to do away with juju tc cards and not allow juju cards to be cloaked or reused if reshuffled. Need to get rid of the heal tc cards and not allow heal cards to be reshuffled. Same way they did with reshuffle. This would force these players to use hit cards to win the game.
Yes, I agree myself that jujus need to be nerfed. I respect your opinion and idea. Personally, I love fighting jujus because on my legend Balance, I carry 18 shuffles and know to cloak infects and Life dispels.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
Cat Wildbreeze on May 5, 2016 wrote:
Agreed, Indeed.
If a match takes hours while you can eat a Pizza, and Dessert, while waiting for them to run out of cards, what kind of match is that? LOL
Let's get back to Strat Play.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
I stopped doing PvP when it got boring beating every opponent; no matter how many ways I changed up my deck and gear to give them a chance.

If only it were possible to allow players or tournaments to be set up with limitations.

Until that happens; I only wish the following message and disclaimer hung on a sign above every Arena Entrance:

"All Ye Who Enter Shall Put On Their Big Wizard Pants, and be prepared to do anything and everything to win; because this is what your opponent who wins does!"

***Disclaimer***
For everyone who left their big wizard pants at home, please follow this arrow here...
...so you can play Candy Land or Chutes and Ladders on the ground level with seat belts, helmets, and harness restraints for your protection!

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
SilverbackMonkey on May 6, 2016 wrote:
Agreed, Indeed.
If a match takes hours while you can eat a Pizza, and Dessert, while waiting for them to run out of cards, what kind of match is that? LOL
Let's get back to Strat Play.
i agree and disagree (match won't last forever) reshuffle was chance (didn't chance reshuffle) balance would have "max" reshuffle but i am glad they put +1 on them :) so, can't spam reshuffle (reason why spam reshuffle) bad draw in there deck, don't get spell that you wanted take forever search for them when the spell wanted to forever to search seriously as be all away in the back?

Survivor
Oct 28, 2011
I agree with your idea. Critical broke strategy making. People nowadays equip huge critical gear and spam spells. Thats it Game over.

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
AngelBlade69 on May 2, 2016 wrote:
wouldn't matter but don't think going chance it beside still same as it was but little lower beside I don't think new critical or new critical block system doesn't effect lower level anyways because i have high critical on mine ice nothing chance about mine critical hasn't never been chance because never see it been chance and took photo off critical stat (see does chance) so, got nothing didn't see nothing chance!

beside not everything have be for pvp nobody ever play pvp nobody care about pvp because won't win pvp rather way going first or second!

happy immunity exist in pvp!

people always rude to ice (ice so, hard to kill) everybody block ice but people hate storm more then ice because storm more op then ice and ice was storm wizard and I would spam insane bolt then growbug!

Survivor
Jun 05, 2011
JustinFrostHunter on May 10, 2016 wrote:
wouldn't matter but don't think going chance it beside still same as it was but little lower beside I don't think new critical or new critical block system doesn't effect lower level anyways because i have high critical on mine ice nothing chance about mine critical hasn't never been chance because never see it been chance and took photo off critical stat (see does chance) so, got nothing didn't see nothing chance!

beside not everything have be for pvp nobody ever play pvp nobody care about pvp because won't win pvp rather way going first or second!

happy immunity exist in pvp!

people always rude to ice (ice so, hard to kill) everybody block ice but people hate storm more then ice because storm more op then ice and ice was storm wizard and I would spam insane bolt then growbug!
I don't get what you're talking about man, this new critical system DESTROYS skill in legendary PvP. In a legend vs legend match, the game is so easily decided on who criticals. For example, a Death will brainlessly critical a bone dragon, and since there is such a low chance to block at the lower levels, they will always critical. The old critical block system was soooo much better, but what would be better and drive lots of players back in is removing critical from PvP.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
AngelBlade69 on May 10, 2016 wrote:
I don't get what you're talking about man, this new critical system DESTROYS skill in legendary PvP. In a legend vs legend match, the game is so easily decided on who criticals. For example, a Death will brainlessly critical a bone dragon, and since there is such a low chance to block at the lower levels, they will always critical. The old critical block system was soooo much better, but what would be better and drive lots of players back in is removing critical from PvP.
Right???

Sorry Mister WildPants if pvp 'bores you' from winning too much, LOL.

We are just asking for more strategic game play. Yes the option is available to do Old School in Tourneys, but not in regular PVP.
That would be a good option to add maybe?

Survivor
Jun 05, 2011
SilverbackMonkey on May 10, 2016 wrote:
Right???

Sorry Mister WildPants if pvp 'bores you' from winning too much, LOL.

We are just asking for more strategic game play. Yes the option is available to do Old School in Tourneys, but not in regular PVP.
That would be a good option to add maybe?
Here is the problem, I don't want to pay crowns for an experience that should be available in Ranked PvP.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
AngelBlade69 on May 11, 2016 wrote:
Here is the problem, I don't want to pay crowns for an experience that should be available in Ranked PvP.
Right, I agree. That is why I said it should be considered an Add in regular PVP, not just Tourneys.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2011
SilverbackMonkey on May 11, 2016 wrote:
Right, I agree. That is why I said it should be considered an Add in regular PVP, not just Tourneys.
It would be cool if they had a dedicated server to the 60 cap era, for the huge majority of wiz players that want those times back.

Survivor
Jan 05, 2013
I agree 100% about removing critical from PvP. PvP is a game of strategy. We who play it spend lots of time and resources sharpening our skills and beefing up our gear. So when we finally sit down for a match, we take it pretty seriously.

In that context, we have an element of chance called critical in the game. I am not a fan of chance in strategy games. I like chess and cannot imagine that sometimes when I make a chess move it fizzles or sometimes when my opponent takes a piece of mine, 4 other pieces get wiped off the board. But I understand that chance is sometimes part of strategy games -- not my cup of tea, but I accept it.

But the problem with critical as an element of chance in PvP is that it is overblown to the point of hilarity. Elements of chance in strategy games RARELY prove decisive, and are almost always merely obstacles to overcome. In Risk, for example, bad dice in a battle could result in losing a battle wherein you had more armies than your opponent. Tough luck, but not decisive usually except in rare circumstances.

But the problem with critical, as an element of chance in PvP, is that it is OFTEN if not ALMOST ALWAYS decisive in matches. That is not good. PvP is not bingo, it is a game of strategy.

Worse is that not much can be done to prevent critical. A decent gear setup which focuses on both power and resist, will leave a block critical about 20% of the time (1 in 5), on average.

A fair part of the games I play are lost to Storm school players who did nothing but play offensive spells (no defense) waiting to critical. No amount of my shielding helped in these cases, short of dispels, bad juju, etc., which cannot be realistically used to prevent such play because you can't keep up pip-wise. When the storm player criticalled a couple of times (and most critical 80% of the time), I died, and that was that.

Talk about an element of chance completely ruling a strategy game. My opinion: remove critical altogether or give conviction to everyone.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2011
alkjajsj on May 21, 2016 wrote:
I agree 100% about removing critical from PvP. PvP is a game of strategy. We who play it spend lots of time and resources sharpening our skills and beefing up our gear. So when we finally sit down for a match, we take it pretty seriously.

In that context, we have an element of chance called critical in the game. I am not a fan of chance in strategy games. I like chess and cannot imagine that sometimes when I make a chess move it fizzles or sometimes when my opponent takes a piece of mine, 4 other pieces get wiped off the board. But I understand that chance is sometimes part of strategy games -- not my cup of tea, but I accept it.

But the problem with critical as an element of chance in PvP is that it is overblown to the point of hilarity. Elements of chance in strategy games RARELY prove decisive, and are almost always merely obstacles to overcome. In Risk, for example, bad dice in a battle could result in losing a battle wherein you had more armies than your opponent. Tough luck, but not decisive usually except in rare circumstances.

But the problem with critical, as an element of chance in PvP, is that it is OFTEN if not ALMOST ALWAYS decisive in matches. That is not good. PvP is not bingo, it is a game of strategy.

Worse is that not much can be done to prevent critical. A decent gear setup which focuses on both power and resist, will leave a block critical about 20% of the time (1 in 5), on average.

A fair part of the games I play are lost to Storm school players who did nothing but play offensive spells (no defense) waiting to critical. No amount of my shielding helped in these cases, short of dispels, bad juju, etc., which cannot be realistically used to prevent such play because you can't keep up pip-wise. When the storm player criticalled a couple of times (and most critical 80% of the time), I died, and that was that.

Talk about an element of chance completely ruling a strategy game. My opinion: remove critical altogether or give conviction to everyone.
I totally agree man, and with this new, and poor critical system, it is almost impossible to block anything at level 60. I don't know what Kingsisle is doing, and why they felt the need to add overpowered shadow enhanced spells, overpowered pierce jewel, and critical being so commonly occurred, and so out of hand. It just makes sense for the majority that wants critical taken out of PvP, but yet, they still keep it in. I am concerned about this game, and the way things are going. This game is just not what it used to be, and with all the players leaving, it's concerned. I hope things do change around the spiral and the arena.