Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Tournament Scoring/Matchmaking Troubles

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 26, 2010
Hi there,

A friend and I recently participated in a 2v2 tournament and found a couple of things throughout the tournament that made the gameplay experience less enjoyable.

Firstly, the tournament was overpopulated. As far as I'm concerned, these tourneys are supposed to have 16 teams, however ours had 21. This left 5 teams without names, making the rankings a bit complicated and I'm sure a minor annoyance for those 5 teams who were excluded from the naming system. If something like this is going to be allowed to happen, there should have been an extra 5-10 team names created by Kingsisle in case of this.

Also, neither of us were sure about this but we thought there was a way of preventing the same two teams from playing each other twice in one tournament. In the fourth and final round of the tournament we were pitted up against the team we played in the first round. In this match, the game was simply a battle of remembering the others' strategy and using our knowledge about them against them. In the first round we took a solid loss, no harm there, however in the final round against the same team we used our knowledge to hammer them strategically with attacks and such to keep them consistently on the defensive the whole game.

This leads me to our most troubling problem: the outcome of that final match.

Throughout the entire match, my partner and I kept our opponents pretty much from attacking at all. There was only one round of damage dealt by them to us, and it was only of mediocre damage. Meanwhile, we laid down at least three rounds of crippling attacks that caused them to shield, heal, and summon for the entire second half while we stayed steadily on the offensive, winning the match. Or so we thought.

The status bar showed in the middle the entire time. Understandably teams still get credit for healing and shielding, but we clearly dominated the game.

Time ran out, and Diego declared the other team the winner of the match, sending my partner and I to a 16th place finish, and them to 7th.

What I'd like to know is if anybody knows why a team that simply "heal-spammed" to keep themselves alive, by using about 3-4 fairies each, collectively about 3 unicorns, multiple dispels, and two minions could defeat in this final round my team who dealt a great deal more damage than they did healing.

Is there a need for a balancing in the scoring of these tournaments, or did we just get unlucky?

Survivor
Dec 20, 2010
They were using I think its called the "Angel strategy" where they spam heals and defense the entire time, I don't think there is a trouble because in the info it says that any amount of teams are aloud to join, though only using "16" as an example. I do think that the team did nothing wrong because they just used a strategy to their will. This can be frustrating to loose a match but in reality, people will do anything to stay in the competition. I was in 2nd place in a 1v1 tournament for the free event and my opponent had spammed wild bolt on my until I finally died, These strategies are pure genius and you could probably use them as well. I recommend next time to study their strategy and perhaps have at least one spirit school in your time because of the utilities that could give you a higher advantage in a match.

Best Wishes!

Dylan LegendSmith, Prodigious Necromancer

Defender
Nov 08, 2009
One thing that really bugs me in the tournaments is that the first and second place wizards on the leaderboard go first 99% of the time. They do tournaments all the time and have other players that join them. I thought everyone was suppose to be treated equal! I have done tournaments since January on three different wizards and this is the same case every time, in 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 or 4v4 don't matter what tournament it is. Several other players have also told me this. So, it is not just me, seeing this. Why do they get to go first almost every tournament? How is it determined who goes first? By how many times you do tournaments?