Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Unique Items

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 06, 2011
Hello, wizards!

The other day while playing, a great idea struck me – unique item drops. This principle would allow special versions of certain items to drop from certain bosses.

Let's take the famous ring dropped by Malistaire – Malistaire Drake's Ruby Signet – for example. When battling Malistaire, if this ring drops, there would be a small percentage chance (let's sat 5%) of the ring becoming special. If this special ring drops, it would take on a new name; the name would depend on which version of the ring was dropped. One version may be the Vigilant Malistaire Drake's Ruby Signet, a version which increases the outgoing health stat. Another may be the Damaging Malistaire Drake's Ruby Signet, adding 5% universal damage to the ring's existing stats.

I also see this principle having massive potential when it comes to jewels. A jewel might have a chance of dropping from a specific boss. We'll use Malistaire as an example again for the sake of continuity. Let's say Malistaire drops a Blemished Damage Onyx (+11). If Malistaire drops this jewel, there could be a 5%-10% chance of the jewel being a "special jewel". If this special jewel drops, it would be called Malistaire's Damage Onyx, and the damage stat would increase to something like +25, or maybe even change to a percentage, such as +3%.

Those of you who have played the Fallout series may recognize the idea. In any case, let me know what you guys think of this idea!

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
KingCobra022 on Apr 1, 2016 wrote:
Hello, wizards!

The other day while playing, a great idea struck me – unique item drops. This principle would allow special versions of certain items to drop from certain bosses.

Let's take the famous ring dropped by Malistaire – Malistaire Drake's Ruby Signet – for example. When battling Malistaire, if this ring drops, there would be a small percentage chance (let's sat 5%) of the ring becoming special. If this special ring drops, it would take on a new name; the name would depend on which version of the ring was dropped. One version may be the Vigilant Malistaire Drake's Ruby Signet, a version which increases the outgoing health stat. Another may be the Damaging Malistaire Drake's Ruby Signet, adding 5% universal damage to the ring's existing stats.

I also see this principle having massive potential when it comes to jewels. A jewel might have a chance of dropping from a specific boss. We'll use Malistaire as an example again for the sake of continuity. Let's say Malistaire drops a Blemished Damage Onyx (+11). If Malistaire drops this jewel, there could be a 5%-10% chance of the jewel being a "special jewel". If this special jewel drops, it would be called Malistaire's Damage Onyx, and the damage stat would increase to something like +25, or maybe even change to a percentage, such as +3%.

Those of you who have played the Fallout series may recognize the idea. In any case, let me know what you guys think of this idea!
Sounds like deck farming and jewel farming where you go for 1 certain type of socket/jewel and you spend hours on end trying to get it. I think this idea is honestly too grindy because there would be a variety of items and only 1 or 2 of them would be useful. Like in your example, you mention additional outgoing or additional damage. As a fire, additional damage is more useful than additional outgoing since the only healing spell we have is power link. You can see this with decks and jewels also, 10% accuracy of pip chance is more useful on a deck than 105 health is. 6% pierce is more useful than 1% critical.

Lvl 110
Lvl 78
Lvl 25

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Adam Wintersinger on Apr 6, 2016 wrote:
Sounds like deck farming and jewel farming where you go for 1 certain type of socket/jewel and you spend hours on end trying to get it. I think this idea is honestly too grindy because there would be a variety of items and only 1 or 2 of them would be useful. Like in your example, you mention additional outgoing or additional damage. As a fire, additional damage is more useful than additional outgoing since the only healing spell we have is power link. You can see this with decks and jewels also, 10% accuracy of pip chance is more useful on a deck than 105 health is. 6% pierce is more useful than 1% critical.

Lvl 110
Lvl 78
Lvl 25
Link and power link may be the only FIRE school heals, but that doesnt mean you cant learn others. We get a life heal as a quest reward, and can train 2 other life school heals. Other schools have "in house" healing, but any can learn sprite, satyr, and sanctuary by expending training points. My fire was the healer in a Helephant Tower run and he did just fine healing everybody. Also, with treasure cards, your healing options are expanded a lot, even just in the life school. Granted, many heals dont make sense without a mastery amulet, so there is that to take into account, but the original idea was more of a global view than school specific

Defender
Aug 06, 2011
Adam Wintersinger on Apr 6, 2016 wrote:

Lvl 110
Lvl 78
Lvl 25
I totally get where you're coming from. I personally hate grinding for gear. However, I think some players find joy in maxing their gear out to the very best possible.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
dayerider on Apr 6, 2016 wrote:
Link and power link may be the only FIRE school heals, but that doesnt mean you cant learn others. We get a life heal as a quest reward, and can train 2 other life school heals. Other schools have "in house" healing, but any can learn sprite, satyr, and sanctuary by expending training points. My fire was the healer in a Helephant Tower run and he did just fine healing everybody. Also, with treasure cards, your healing options are expanded a lot, even just in the life school. Granted, many heals dont make sense without a mastery amulet, so there is that to take into account, but the original idea was more of a global view than school specific
I'm looking into this thread in the pvp side of things. It's true that you can learn spells from other schools and use masteries but masteries aren't common in max lvl pvp, they are in lower lvl pvp but assuming the OP mentioned a Malistaire item, I'm gonna stick to max lvl. Power link is a nice spell to have as a fire but damage is way more beneficial since power link takes a lot of valuable pips for a semi decent heal. As well, other schools could possibly benefit more from damage as well, even schools like life and balance depending on how high the damage is and critical doesn't play as major of a role it does now than it used to before the crit and block system change.

Lvl 110
Lvl 79
Lvl 25