Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Does the time of the battle affect the drop rate?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 06, 2010
So i was farming tartarus with these three other people who were odviously really good friends with each other. After the hades battle, one of the guys got no drops and said, "Aw, the battle took too long so i didn't get anything."
I said that's not correct, drops are random and nothing you do will affect your chances of receiving a specific drop. The guy who said the battle took too long said, "Listen kid, I have two other max wizards so i know what i'm doing. You are more likely to get a drop if the battle goes by faster." After this one of his other friends started mocking me saying things like, "Lol, kids just need to learn the game before playing them." or "How long have you been playing this game, kid?" So I now turn to the forums for an answer. Does doing a battle really fast increase the chances of getting a good piece of loot to drop?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
dragonhelper2000 on Mar 3, 2016 wrote:
So i was farming tartarus with these three other people who were odviously really good friends with each other. After the hades battle, one of the guys got no drops and said, "Aw, the battle took too long so i didn't get anything."
I said that's not correct, drops are random and nothing you do will affect your chances of receiving a specific drop. The guy who said the battle took too long said, "Listen kid, I have two other max wizards so i know what i'm doing. You are more likely to get a drop if the battle goes by faster." After this one of his other friends started mocking me saying things like, "Lol, kids just need to learn the game before playing them." or "How long have you been playing this game, kid?" So I now turn to the forums for an answer. Does doing a battle really fast increase the chances of getting a good piece of loot to drop?
nope; all drops are random. your odds of getting the good stuff are about the same as getting struck by lightning.

as long as you are alive and in the battle when the last enemy is killed, you have a small chance of getting something good.

people have been spreading misinformation ever since the lottery system was first introduced. none of it has ever been proven, so please don't believe or spread the untruths that you hear, no matter the source (until ki specifically confirms or denies this, take it with a grain of salt).

-von

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
You might also hear people say:
"You get a better drop if you make the kill shot"
"You get a better drop if you one-hit the boss"
"If you didn't do any damage you won't get a good drop"

All of these claims are Bartleby's Sidecar. Like Doc Von said, don't believe any of it. It doesn't matter how many times another player has made the run or what level they are or if they have five other max wizards... false info is still false info. KI won't release info on the drop percentages, nor should they. It's all part of the mystique of the game.

Where Von is wrong however is that your chances are actually more like getting struck by lightning right after being hit by a meteor while you're standing in line to have Elvis hand you your winnings from the Mega Millions lottery. OK, maybe not quite that good.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
dragonhelper2000 on Mar 3, 2016 wrote:
I would like to tell that guy that said the battle took to long: "Listen kid I have 4 max wizards and you have no idea how drops work." Like dr. Von said, drops are completely random and they arent determined by random things like that. People come up with crazy misconceptions of why they don't get drops. Don't believe any of it. The only time you actually lose drops is when you flee why any boss is dead or when you flee on the 2nd form of malistaire which only guarantees 1 drop instead of 2.

Lvl 110
Lvl 31
Lvl 25

Survivor
Aug 16, 2011
Dr Von on Mar 4, 2016 wrote:
nope; all drops are random. your odds of getting the good stuff are about the same as getting struck by lightning.

as long as you are alive and in the battle when the last enemy is killed, you have a small chance of getting something good.

people have been spreading misinformation ever since the lottery system was first introduced. none of it has ever been proven, so please don't believe or spread the untruths that you hear, no matter the source (until ki specifically confirms or denies this, take it with a grain of salt).

-von

Dear Von,
If your fighting a storm wizard you might get all the drops! (teehehe!)

And on a more serious note, thanks for the info, I did not know that. But now I do!

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
TucsonWizard on Mar 4, 2016 wrote:
You might also hear people say:
"You get a better drop if you make the kill shot"
"You get a better drop if you one-hit the boss"
"If you didn't do any damage you won't get a good drop"

All of these claims are Bartleby's Sidecar. Like Doc Von said, don't believe any of it. It doesn't matter how many times another player has made the run or what level they are or if they have five other max wizards... false info is still false info. KI won't release info on the drop percentages, nor should they. It's all part of the mystique of the game.

Where Von is wrong however is that your chances are actually more like getting struck by lightning right after being hit by a meteor while you're standing in line to have Elvis hand you your winnings from the Mega Millions lottery. OK, maybe not quite that good.
"Where Von is wrong however is that your chances are actually more like getting struck by lightning right after being hit by a meteor while you're standing in line to have Elvis hand you your winnings from the Mega Millions lottery"

As many runs as I and I'm sure many others have done, Elvis should be on his way any day now.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Mr Talon on Mar 5, 2016 wrote:
"Where Von is wrong however is that your chances are actually more like getting struck by lightning right after being hit by a meteor while you're standing in line to have Elvis hand you your winnings from the Mega Millions lottery"

As many runs as I and I'm sure many others have done, Elvis should be on his way any day now.
i always admit when i'm wrong; and the second half of my original post is definitely wrong~ tucsonwizard's assessment is much more accurate, at least in my experience.

(elvis has left the building, so what does that say for our chances?)

-von

Explorer
Sep 06, 2010
Thanks for the help guys. I knew I was right! The funny part is that the guy tried to convince me he was right by saying, "Why don't you go check the forums kid and get some game knowledge."

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Dr Von on Mar 7, 2016 wrote:
i always admit when i'm wrong; and the second half of my original post is definitely wrong~ tucsonwizard's assessment is much more accurate, at least in my experience.

(elvis has left the building, so what does that say for our chances?)

-von
Uh oh, Elvis has left? ... then we'll have to wait for Bigfoot to do the presentation. He should be arriving soon in a UFO along with Mothman and a Chupacabra.