Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Changeing Your Name

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 10, 2011
I think it would be a good idea to be able to change your wizards name like in Pirate101 you could change you flag why don't we add a feature to change out names in wizard101

Mastermind
Mar 01, 2015
I have seen MILLIONS of posts saying you should be able to change your name in wizard101.I REALLY don't think this is a good idea. Changing your wizard101 name really makes no sense in my opinion.No offense to the people that think this is a good idea, but I strongly believe this shouldn't be a thing. Changing your name can be really confusing mostly to your friends.In pirate101 they are flags, which is completely different.Companies change their logos all the time.But changing a name is confusing for everyone.Therefore, I don't believe name changing is a good idea.

Delver
Sep 27, 2009
On one hand, I agree. I started playing this game 6 years ago, and I was pretty young, so I made a lot of regrettable choices in designing my wizard. I don't particularly care for my name in the game (Bailey Skullvault), so it would be cool to change it.

On the other hand, I agree with what the user above posted. That would be pretty confusing.

Champion
Jan 25, 2015
while it's a great idea, people on your friends list wont know if you changed it or not and might end up deleting you from their list and not even know it. If this will be put into the game, I think there needs to be some sort of notification sent to everyone on your friend list when they enter the game so they know. The notification wont just appear and disappear but instead it would have an option to click "OK" which would let the monitor know you've seen it and know

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
people have suggested, in order to avoid confusion, that your name change should wipe your friends list. i would have no problem at all if this were to happen since I game mostly with a few people and getting hold of them off w101 is easy as pie for me

Survivor
Sep 10, 2011
robotdino123 on Jan 25, 2016 wrote:
On one hand, I agree. I started playing this game 6 years ago, and I was pretty young, so I made a lot of regrettable choices in designing my wizard. I don't particularly care for my name in the game (Bailey Skullvault), so it would be cool to change it.

On the other hand, I agree with what the user above posted. That would be pretty confusing.
That is the exact reason i wanted to change my name

Mastermind
Mar 01, 2015
Trevor Dawnstalker on Jan 25, 2016 wrote:
That is the exact reason i wanted to change my name
Yes, I can understand that.However, it doesnt make any sense, because you dont go around changing your name in real life.

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
omagicspells on Jan 27, 2016 wrote:
Yes, I can understand that.However, it doesnt make any sense, because you dont go around changing your name in real life.
Names can be legally changed in real life. People do change their name. Thus, it really does happen.

Best of luck!
S.S.

Explorer
May 09, 2011
I am in favor of this, however I think there should be a cooldown. Quinn GoldenSlinger just really seems off base by miles. It's one of the few names that can end up like that, and I wish that I could change it, or at least the last name. The cooldown could be maybe a month or two months, and that could make a lot of players happy.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2014
omagicspells on Jan 22, 2016 wrote:
I have seen MILLIONS of posts saying you should be able to change your name in wizard101.I REALLY don't think this is a good idea. Changing your wizard101 name really makes no sense in my opinion.No offense to the people that think this is a good idea, but I strongly believe this shouldn't be a thing. Changing your name can be really confusing mostly to your friends.In pirate101 they are flags, which is completely different.Companies change their logos all the time.But changing a name is confusing for everyone.Therefore, I don't believe name changing is a good idea.
I Agree, Changing your name would be confusing to friends, and your the one who choose your name so you should be happy with it.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
I agree with being able to change our names. Maybe something can be stated "This player recently changed names" or something similar when you view their profile. I don't like when I come across another player that has the same name as me or my family members. Maybe we wouldn't want to change our names if their was more name combinations when you create a character. Also, there should be more name combinations for pets too.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
FINALLY someone understands!
I understand people might not like their names, my main character's name is Gabrielle which I wouldn't mind changing, but let's get real for a sec. Wizard101 would get more chaotic because you have to re-memorize your friend's names. One day, my friend might be named Courtney would disappear and some random stranger in my list named Emma would appear, and this would happen to a bunch of other of my friends. I wouldn't know who changed to who. If people messaged their friends they changed their name, first of all, not everyone would be online at the same time and you would have trouble telling everyone if you have a big friend list. Second of all, it would be confusing trying to figure it all out and remember. Furthermore, someone above said there could be a tag that said "This player has recently changes names..." Yeah, but from what? Even if it said their original name, I would be so frustrated and annoyed trying to remember. That is just my opinion though I bet if Kingsile did it they might be able to figure out a way to do it well, but I have my doubts.
- Gabrielle Silversword

Survivor
Sep 10, 2011
Thanks everyone for the feed back Hopefully kingsile adds all of you ideas

Never expected this much replys

See you in the game

Tevor Dawnstalker 102

Survivor
Sep 10, 2011
Delver
May 12, 2012
I understand the point you are giving, but it would be confusing (like many others have said). If your friend changed your name and you didn't know, you could possibly delete them because you don't remember them or you could even mistake them for someone else. However, I do want to change one of my wizard's last name because I was young when I made them.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2013
You should be able to change your Middle/MiddleLastName at most. The first names are alright, but people can get kinda "creative" with their last names. lol

Survivor
Aug 07, 2011
It would be a good idea to change your name in W101 at lease once. I had the same problem I started to play this game at the age of like 7 and I was bad of choosing the name Matthew WinterSong today im 14 and I regreat choosing that name. If I could change my name once I would. Ezample you could earn a Change name ticket. You woukd earn this ticket when you do a major quest. The total of Change name ticket would appear when you go in the caractar information (C)
This is my idea
Thank You
AlainGiroux

Mastermind
Mar 01, 2015
Shannon Skybreaker on Jan 27, 2016 wrote:
Names can be legally changed in real life. People do change their name. Thus, it really does happen.

Best of luck!
S.S.
Yea, they do, but its not very common for someone to actually change their name.

Heather StarSong lvl 44

Explorer
Feb 10, 2012
Personally, I would love to be able to change my wizard's name, since I was 7 when I first created her. A possible solution to the confusion could be something like this:
On your profile, for the first month or so after your name is changed, there would be a little message saying "Previously (x name here).
That way, if you saw someone on your friend's list you didn't recognize, you could just check their profile to see if they were a friend of yours whose name had changed.
I've seen so many people asking for this, I don't know why it hasn't been implemented yet. Other MMOs allow players to change their names, and there doesn't seem to be any issues.

Explorer
May 25, 2011
Well, if your friend changes their name it wouldn't be that difficult to understand what happened. I could see changing your name once and be done with it and not changing it again because you only wanted to change your name from a name your six-year-old self created. Many people would change their name for crowns and KI would make good money off of it. Most of your friends names would be changed once and when KI released it the new product. You probably would recognize them from their gear (I would) and if you asked them who they are, most people who changed their name would understand your confusion and tell you what their name was. I think it is a great idea to allow a name changing elixir of something.

Talon Deathblade 92

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Names are already confusing, since you could have two friends with the same name and style and class and everything. That didn't stop them from making it possible for two players to have the same name, now did it?

I say for every problem there is a solution. For example, and I stress just for example because there are a variety of ways for this to be handled, the next time your friend logs in, he or she will get a notification saying that his or her friend changed his or her name. Maybe for a week afterward there could be a little note saying "formerly: insert the player's previous name here"

After that, it's just a matter of taking note and using your noggin. If you forget who is who, ASK your friend.

Don't let minor inconveniences hinder progress.

The reason a billion different people have asked for name changes,
and a billion more will continue to ask- it's what people naturally want.

There's no valid reason to be against this.

If you don't want one don't get it, but for those who do want to be able to change their name, they should be able to.

Meanwhile, if it's a cash shop item...well, more money is always good, now isn't it? It'll be a staple, no doubt.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Shannon Skybreaker on Jan 27, 2016 wrote:

Best of luck!
S.S.
Heck, for a period of time I had everyone in my life calling me "Serenade" without even legally changing my name.

I had just moved and wanted to "reinvent" myself and seem cooler than I actually was. Hehe...

Now I'm less self conscious and more comfortable being the dweeby oddball that I actually am.

Proud even.

That's another story though.

Survivor
Jan 18, 2014
i would love this due to the fact i didnt know they had the name ginelle avalible and now i wish i had named my ice wizard that vs jessica wintergem

Survivor
Oct 15, 2012
For the sake of protecting parents and grandparents money they spend to fund the young wizards, an elixir is a bad idea, however, allowing the parent / grandparent who pay for the young ones, the option should be done online using the master password where adults purchase subscriptions, crowns, online bundles. For the sake of the parent / grandparent who pay good money, the option to change names and even change the look of the wizard should be their choice, not just no. Who cares what a wizard's name or look is?