Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feelings about the Polaris updates

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
So, the polaris update came out and all anybody could talk about was the problems with the update. We got another update last night and people are having problems still. Here's my feelings on all parts of the new updates since Polaris went live:

1) I feel Kingsisle tried to do too much with this update. The world and critical system update should have been separate. This way, they could focus on each aspect separately. Both the world and the critical system are huge aspects of the game, and to try to work the bugs out of both at the same time is a huge undertaking.

2) They should have flipped how they fixed the critical system. This, I feel, from the layman's point of view, is corporate thinking at its worst. Let me explain. If they would have first lowered the critical hit and block rate (a huge part of last night's maintenance), and THEN changed the whole system, it would have caused a lot less of an issue. Instead, they messed with the critical system and now, the fix looks like they did it because we all whined and NOT like it was their plan all along. If it was their plan, the implementation stunk, If it WASN'T their plan, then it was poor thinking. With one SIMPLE change of perspective, they would have lessened the blow AND looked better at the same time. Instead, the world revolted against them and gave them a black eye. In the future, I hope they look at this update as what NOT to do, coming from an order of release point of view

3) They made some huge changes, that we asked for, so this shows that they continue to listen to us. This needs to be remembered because we have proof time and time again.

All in all, the most recent updates/maintenance will be a wait and see, in order to judge their effectiveness and value, but we need to keep perspective about this

Survivor
Aug 18, 2015
I totally agree with you, but I would like to add a number 4 to your list there.

4) The amount of experience for the boss battles is outrageous. In Khrysalis, a boss battle would give you at MOST 105000 XP or so. Now with this update, a boss battle could give you around 300000 XP. I really cannot believe my eyes when I see this dramatic increase in experience, especially when I just started to quest in Polaris yesterday. The bosses' have health like bosses in Avalon, and even spells that aren't much different from the bosses there as well. I understand this world is shorter than the other ones, but still, a jump from 100k XP to 300k XP is crazy.

PS: The jump from Azteca to Khrysalis was a difference of maybe 10k XP, so a gain of 200k XP is and will be a big change.

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
first ill say this, I have always been against the critical system as it makes the game about luck, rather then skill. that said here is how to fix critical system. make each class cap at 50% critical chance and block chance with gear matching their lvl. then reduce both by .5% per lvl above the gear the wizard is. this would fix any imbalance with critical and block.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
pretzellove on Dec 4, 2015 wrote:
I totally agree with you, but I would like to add a number 4 to your list there.

4) The amount of experience for the boss battles is outrageous. In Khrysalis, a boss battle would give you at MOST 105000 XP or so. Now with this update, a boss battle could give you around 300000 XP. I really cannot believe my eyes when I see this dramatic increase in experience, especially when I just started to quest in Polaris yesterday. The bosses' have health like bosses in Avalon, and even spells that aren't much different from the bosses there as well. I understand this world is shorter than the other ones, but still, a jump from 100k XP to 300k XP is crazy.

PS: The jump from Azteca to Khrysalis was a difference of maybe 10k XP, so a gain of 200k XP is and will be a big change.
Polaris is a shorter world, and higher levels need more XP. How else do you expect to level up?

Survivor
Apr 12, 2009
Robobot1747 on Dec 21, 2015 wrote:
Polaris is a shorter world, and higher levels need more XP. How else do you expect to level up?
Side quests.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Robobot1747 on Dec 21, 2015 wrote:
right now, I dont think this is an issue. My Myth has JUST started Crescent Beach in K2, and he's already 101 or 102. By the time he gets to Polaris, he should be maxed, and if not, it wont take long at all. Maybe down the road, it could be an issue, but right now, there is an overabundance of XP. I would love to see an OFFICIAL word on how much XP there is, in the whole game, without any kind of XP boosting item, compared to the max XP level of 110. Im willing to bet that there's at least another 25% MORE XP than L110. What I mean by that is, there's probably enough XP to go from 1 - 110 and then another extra experience that gets wasted due to the cap, and that the extra is 25% of the XP it takes to get from 109 to 110

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
dayerider on Dec 22, 2015 wrote:
right now, I dont think this is an issue. My Myth has JUST started Crescent Beach in K2, and he's already 101 or 102. By the time he gets to Polaris, he should be maxed, and if not, it wont take long at all. Maybe down the road, it could be an issue, but right now, there is an overabundance of XP. I would love to see an OFFICIAL word on how much XP there is, in the whole game, without any kind of XP boosting item, compared to the max XP level of 110. Im willing to bet that there's at least another 25% MORE XP than L110. What I mean by that is, there's probably enough XP to go from 1 - 110 and then another extra experience that gets wasted due to the cap, and that the extra is 25% of the XP it takes to get from 109 to 110
My Myth started Crescent Beach at L100. Now she's at The Gallery in the Hive and she's at L105.75. I might see L106 when she finishes with Morganthe, but I'm not quite sure I will get enough XP to do so.

It's been a struggle getting through Khrysalis with the crit/block situation. Especially since it seems the crit/block has not been adjusted, or has the health of the mobs/bosses, which are much higher than in Polaris. Honestly, when I switched to quest on my other wizard in Polaris, I found it much easier to handle than Khrysalis!

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
My highest leveled character, my Life wiz, was around level 95 and midway through Khrysalis when it was announced that Polaris was on the horizon. I purposely stopped questing in Khrysalis because I was concerned about reaching the then maximum level cap of 100 and wasting XP. As it turns out, it really wasn't anything to worry about. The quest XP in Polaris is massive and I still ended up maxing out my Life wiz at level 110 before finishing Polaris. My guess is that in six or eight months when (hopefully) yet another new world is released, the XP rewards will be scaled to an even higher level just like they always have been. Any XP wasted will be minimal in the long run.

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
as soon as I hit lvl 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 95, 100. I stopped questing other then ww, toth, tartarus, and graveyard. my wizards hit 108 around time they unlock Polaris.

Survivor
Sep 13, 2012
Hello Peeps,

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed a increase in the number of fizzle of spells since the updates.
My accuracy rate is 28 %. Although I did a test and found that out of 20 spell attempts 8 spells fizzled out.
for a 40% fail rate.

I emailed KI and was told that fizzles is just part of the game. However, before the updates this only happened if I had a smoke screen on my wizard.

Was this a part of the updates that was not mentioned or is this a bug.

Please please can someone answer. Because I never hear from KI any reason that this would change. Just a it's part of the game and a link to this site.
It seems like to me there would be an easier way to get answers about the game for players other than this way. But I have no other option.
I feel like this was in the update but not mentioned and now I am wondering what else has been changed without and notes. Game play has become so frustrating.

Thanks Peeps

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
MADISON461J on Dec 25, 2015 wrote:
Hello Peeps,

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed a increase in the number of fizzle of spells since the updates.
My accuracy rate is 28 %. Although I did a test and found that out of 20 spell attempts 8 spells fizzled out.
for a 40% fail rate.

I emailed KI and was told that fizzles is just part of the game. However, before the updates this only happened if I had a smoke screen on my wizard.

Was this a part of the updates that was not mentioned or is this a bug.

Please please can someone answer. Because I never hear from KI any reason that this would change. Just a it's part of the game and a link to this site.
It seems like to me there would be an easier way to get answers about the game for players other than this way. But I have no other option.
I feel like this was in the update but not mentioned and now I am wondering what else has been changed without and notes. Game play has become so frustrating.

Thanks Peeps
I don't know if kingsisle has changed anything, I have noticed that yes I fizz more often, but not something out of line with game mechanics. first of all I can guarantee you did not do the minimum 1000 casts to get a fairly accurate read on fizz rate. 2nd the way accuracy from gear works is, that should never be your focus stat. this is how it was explained to me all way back in 2009. lets use storm and life as our examples. as storm lets suppose you have 30% accuracy boost what this doesn't do is put your accuracy at 100%. rather it changes formula from 70/100 to 100/130. so lets doo math 100/100*70= 70% chance to cast spell. 130/100*100=76%. so you can see with 30% accuracy boost you still have 25% chance to fizz as storm. now lets use same numbers with life. life has 90/100 so with 30% accuracy it would be 120/130 which gives them 92% chance to cast rather then the 90% base.

if this formula is wrong then kingsisle correct me but that was how it was explained to me as it was supposedly explained by kingsisle.