Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A thank you to KI

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 15, 2015
I think what Tyler Dream was saying is that in mid level PVP (magus/master), people use TC critical cards and even if you use Conviction to stop it, the block is so low it may have no chance to block.

In higher levels where critical is part of your arsenal, it may be fine, but in the lower levels where Critical TC is an add in, there should be a equal TC add in to stop it equally.

Hope I got his meaning correct.

Have Fun.

Hero
May 07, 2015
Rebecca Ashhunter on Dec 18, 2015 wrote:
I don't really want to enter this argument, so this will be my only post, but I would like to say a few things.

I am really sorry all you PvP people are upset. I personally do not play PvP very much , so I don't know what it's like, but I understand that it must be hard and very frustrating when something you love to do is changed for, in your opinion, the worst. It must be really hard. You have a right to be frustrated, though eventually we will all get used to it. Until we get to that point it will be rocky, and I am so sorry for that.

At the same time, someone was just expressing their opinion that you happened not to agree with. The freedom of speech says that that is OK. Maybe they are wrong, and maybe they are not, but it does not make your life better or worse because of it. You can all have your own opinions.

I am sorry if you feel that I am lecturing you, this post was not intended that way. Please do not be cross at me for expressing my opinion. I hope that the problems in the game get fixed soon. :)

Thank you for reading this.
-Rebecca Ashhunter
im with you :)

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Ghost stone on Nov 28, 2015 wrote:
I would like to take a moment to thank KI for the improvement they made to the critical system. Although most of what is said here are complaints about how PvP is broken, and i do agree that many other things still need fixing.
At least we can see that KI is making an effort even if progress is slow. I must admit before the update the critical thing was just a little bit too ridiculous with crits happening every round.

I've seen that there are many players who have been complaining about it saying that they are always getting crit on. But the players saying this are looking at things the wrong way. The amount of times a crit lands is still the same as before. The difference is instead of you blocking it almost every round crits just don't happen as often. Lets not forget that you still have a chance of blocking even if it is less than before.

The other thing I like about this new system is that players with low critical that previously had a 0% chance of landing a crit because of block being higher now have a chance to land. Wizards with higher critical will still land more often but at least now there is a chance for everyone. I also like that it means wizards with low block now have a lesser chance of getting slaughtered in the first couple of rounds. I feel it has restored a little bit of balance back to gameplay.

Players are only complaining because it's something that is unfimiliar to them. Eventually everyone will settle into the new system and over all everyone will start enjoying PvP more. It may also take PvE players a while to get used to the fact that they have just been upgraded to questing on hard mode with enemies still critting just as often but with a lesser chance of blocking (I personally think PvE wasn't enough of a challenge anyway). However with all this said I do still believe this is a step in the right direction. Thank you for the improvement KingsIsle.
they didn't fix critical. for one: it has always been easier to get more critical then block. so to say you always getting blocked if opponent had more block then your critical is false reasoning. I critical more often now then before on my storm. also I am more open to critical attacks as I have significantly lower block now. and they further destroyed healers thanks to the change. unless they come out with healing sets for life and balance (especially balance) that give them good chance to critical without giving up heal boost which is the life blood of healers, you will never ever see healing being effective in game again. balance now can barely keep one person alive now that they have such low critical chance. and even worse if you suggest a heal that would even begin to help with the gap differential between healing and damage, you are accused of trying to ruin the game (game especially pvp is immensely broken right now thanks to high critical, high damage, and high pierce damage builds out there.

in fact only way I can see fixing those issues is to cap gear pierce at 15%, shrike at 15% thus making fifth ty fifth pierce the effective cap with more then that being diminishing returned since past that you looking at 3-9% per spear. but this will at least allow players to still do some resisting to attacks if they counter with shields. which right now shielding is counterproductive as with the pierce out there they can pierce all a persons resist plus 1-2 shields.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
I would like to take a moment to thank KI for the improvement they made to the critical system. Although most of what is said here are complaints about how PvP is broken, and i do agree that many other things still need fixing.
At least we can see that KI is making an effort even if progress is slow. I must admit before the update the critical thing was just a little bit too ridiculous with crits happening every round.

I've seen that there are many players who have been complaining about it saying that they are always getting crit on. But the players saying this are looking at things the wrong way. The amount of times a crit lands is still the same as before. The difference is instead of you blocking it almost every round crits just don't happen as often. Lets not forget that you still have a chance of blocking even if it is less than before.

The other thing I like about this new system is that players with low critical that previously had a 0% chance of landing a crit because of block being higher now have a chance to land. Wizards with higher critical will still land more often but at least now there is a chance for everyone. I also like that it means wizards with low block now have a lesser chance of getting slaughtered in the first couple of rounds. I feel it has restored a little bit of balance back to gameplay.

Players are only complaining because it's something that is unfimiliar to them. Eventually everyone will settle into the new system and over all everyone will start enjoying PvP more. It may also take PvE players a while to get used to the fact that they have just been upgraded to questing on hard mode with enemies still critting just as often but with a lesser chance of blocking (I personally think PvE wasn't enough of a challenge anyway). However with all this said I do still believe this is a step in the right direction. Thank you for the improvement KingsIsle.
For PvP, the system is awesome. I agree. So, thank you for that. The only thing i dont like about it is that it occurs in PvE as well. I would like KI to just make teh two completely seperate, but that's alright. I mean, PvPers complain and complain and complain. Thats why PvE is basically dead. Ever wonder why PvP warlords are muted? Its not because they did anything wrong, it's cause they win! PvP is broken, but i agree that KI is trying to fix it. They've made progress, but there is still a lot of work to be done. But you always gotta start with baby steps!

~StephanieWildHunter(SH)~

Survivor
Jun 30, 2013

Please go test it for yourself first then speak. We crit exactly as much as before but block much much lesser. Plus, this makes a way for RNG to interfere with lower level gameplay as well. I had always liked it because it was balanced, but now that fact has been blasted into oblivion.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2013
Sarah Waterbreeze on Dec 2, 2015 wrote:
Okay, I see you have clarified. But there are STILL problems that you are not paying attention to.

In terms of customers: You are correct, people critical less, and as a result, they block less. But this is why people are upset. Their critical, AND their block, have both been heavily nerfed. Many have spent countless hours, time, and much effort into these stats, only to have BOTH their numbers go down.

However, in terms of gameplay, this is the problem: While people may critical less than before, they still DO critical. At least half of the time, usually. And we cannot block. You seem to not realize just how devastating ONE critical can be, ESPECIALLY in PVP.

I can understand your logic and see where you are coming from, but I do not agree.
He actually meant that we would crit much lesser, which doesn't result in that many landings, but he is wrong. I've delved into PvP, and now you either have to follow the 'Pay to win' concept OR be a Balance, Ice or Life to manage to get higher than sergeant. We still crit exactly as much as we did prior to the change, but don't block as much. MOST IMPORTANTLY: KI, DO NOT THINK I'M IMPLYING THAT WE SHOULD HAVE OUR CRIT LOWERED, IT'S BLOCK THAT WE WANT HIGHER. This change was completely unneeded, we only needed our block up a little bit.

Survivor
Jul 02, 2015
I'm not much of a PvP'er, (main schools are , , and ) so I don't know how much my opinion is worth. I just think, however, the PvP community is just too hard to please.

KingsIsle makes a chance, it gets bashed. KingsIsle makes a decent change to critical, it gets bashed. I feel a bit sorry for KingIsle that their PvP fan base is just soo hard to please and complain at every little thing. Yes, I don't PvP because the system is broken. I feel that if I play PvP while it is broken, KingsIsle is going to think it's fine when it isn't; which is why I simple refuse to play PvP. However, those who do, get "understandably" angry at KI.

My point is, if you have SUCH a problem with KI and PvP, don't PvP. It's only a matter of time that KingsIsle realizes that PvP isn't in the gutter, but IS the gutter, and fixes it. Until then, become like me. A person who helps random people, pet trains, etc. Eventually I do plan to PvP, whether the system is broken or not.

We ALL love this game, if we didn't we wouldn't be here. Why not just wait until KI decides that they'll fix PvP? Until then, try to get all the Wizards you have to max. Though it is tedious going through the same story line over and over again, at least you having something to do that WON'T drive you A-Wall.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2012
I completely agree with Sarah. This is exactly how I feel. I feel I did all that hard work to build up my critical. Once I had it, I enjoyed it. It made the game more exciting. I don't understand why K.I. would bring something to the game, and revolve a whole world such as Khrysalis and Darkmoor around getting critical gear, and then bring out Polaris...don't even get me started on the horrible excuse for in that world. You bring out a Prodigious level World, just to drop lower level stats gear? I don't get it. Why give something and take it away. I feel K.I. should have evolved their game around their players. Not make their players downgrade. It makes NO SENSE!

Survivor
Sep 10, 2009
I have been reading this thread and noted a few irregularities.

First of all, most people are under the notion that the previous system was better, I beg to differ. If you didn't spend 10 years getting the perfect stats then you are at a COMPLETE disadvantage. Previously someone with over 500 rating and over 330 block can land criticals more often and still maintain a healthy block, that in it self is one reason why change was needed. Also the wizards who had extremely high block, decent critical effectively, under the old system negated an ENTIRE statistic of another player, meaning that you can never land a critical. I believe that change can be both good and bad, depending on your view point. It seems to me that the majority of people who complain and want a return to the old system COULD POTENTIALLY be the type of player that I just mentioned.

I almost choked on my water when someone said that low level PvP is badly affected from this update. Let me get my view on this crystal clear: Critical and Critical Block AND Astral magic SHOULD NEVER BE AVAILABLE to players under level 50. This is an advantage that I BELIEVE should be offered to wizards ABOVE level 50. The critical noob strategies that I have witnessed seemingly exploit an advantage that, in theory, shouldn't be offered to them.
However I am empathetic to PvE players. As I mentioned earlier, this update wasn't carried out as efficiently and effectively as I had hoped. I feel the statistics on 90% of the gear reflects the old system more than the current one. Why change something integral to wizards above level 50 but not change the gear? That to me shows laziness and the current inability of this "esteemed" company to even bother fixing problems properly. With the new update, I believe it is tailored to the high end of the level spectrum and ignores the rest. Although there are new alternatives being given in Polaris to supplement your critical or your block but it seems no one here is open to take them.