Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hybrid plants!

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jan 21, 2014
Gardening is my #1 hobby in w101 (#2 being questing and #3 being crafting) and I would be 24/7 staring on the screen, gardening, if this idea would be implemented.

I would absolutely love being hable to make hybrid plants. This could work like the pet breeding system! You could buy a housing item (I say the gardening trainer in krokotopia could sell it) and that "plant breeder" could be placed like a crafting station. If you mix two plants, let's say a stinkweed and a dandelion, the caracteristics of both of them (reward level, difficulty level and reagents/treasure cards/pet snacks) could be included in the newborn plant.

Of course, The plant would be restricted to what it could drop. If plant number one could drop 3 different treasure cards and plant number two 5, then the new plant could drop 2 from plant number one and 2 from plant number two (the numbers could vary, since the main factor would be randomness, just like pet breeding). Same with the pet snacks and reagents and anything else

NOTE: When it comes to seed drops, the new plant could drop seeds EXACTLY like them, so you could have two hybrid stink-lions with the same stats.

NOTE FOR THE NOTE: the new plant could only drop a seed if one of the parent plants could drop a seed, if neither of them can do this, neither can the child plant.

Just a tiny idea! (yeah tiny...) Don't worry if you want to point out a flaw or add an idea to this, every opinion counts. Tootles!

Isaac GoldHeart lvl 50

Delver
Jan 21, 2014
Now that i remember! I also wanted to make this thread for new plant ideas, we need more variety of plants in this game!

Any ideas? I have one that i actually made up a long time ago (=Difficulty level =Reward level)

Rotten tomatoes:
Needs:
Sunlight
Magic
Difficulty:

Reward:

Hope you guys have other ideas!

Isaac GoldHeart lvl 50

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
lifedude2002 on Nov 26, 2015 wrote:
Gardening is my #1 hobby in w101 (#2 being questing and #3 being crafting) and I would be 24/7 staring on the screen, gardening, if this idea would be implemented.

I would absolutely love being hable to make hybrid plants. This could work like the pet breeding system! You could buy a housing item (I say the gardening trainer in krokotopia could sell it) and that "plant breeder" could be placed like a crafting station. If you mix two plants, let's say a stinkweed and a dandelion, the caracteristics of both of them (reward level, difficulty level and reagents/treasure cards/pet snacks) could be included in the newborn plant.

Of course, The plant would be restricted to what it could drop. If plant number one could drop 3 different treasure cards and plant number two 5, then the new plant could drop 2 from plant number one and 2 from plant number two (the numbers could vary, since the main factor would be randomness, just like pet breeding). Same with the pet snacks and reagents and anything else

NOTE: When it comes to seed drops, the new plant could drop seeds EXACTLY like them, so you could have two hybrid stink-lions with the same stats.

NOTE FOR THE NOTE: the new plant could only drop a seed if one of the parent plants could drop a seed, if neither of them can do this, neither can the child plant.

Just a tiny idea! (yeah tiny...) Don't worry if you want to point out a flaw or add an idea to this, every opinion counts. Tootles!

Isaac GoldHeart lvl 50
If you mixed a Dandelion and a Stinkweed... would you end up with a plant that hates itself?
But seriously, this idea has some merit but, like you said, I think it would have to be restricted much like the pet hybrid system... not every combo is going to create a hybrid but maybe they could leave it up to us to find out which ones do. The real problem I see is what could eventually happen to the "gene pool" of the plants. Much like with pets, after several generations of mixing, the drops could eventually end up completely different than the way they started. In situations where a hybrid is not created, you'd still have a "normal" seed with altered genes. If this seed then gets traded back and forth between shared banks and mixed with even more seeds the situation could get out of hand from a programming standpoint.
Maybe a solution could be - you get a hybrid or you get nothing. This way there are no "corrupted" Dandelion or Stinkweed seeds to accidently mix with your other seeds.

Delver
Jan 21, 2014
TucsonWizard on Dec 1, 2015 wrote:
If you mixed a Dandelion and a Stinkweed... would you end up with a plant that hates itself?
But seriously, this idea has some merit but, like you said, I think it would have to be restricted much like the pet hybrid system... not every combo is going to create a hybrid but maybe they could leave it up to us to find out which ones do. The real problem I see is what could eventually happen to the "gene pool" of the plants. Much like with pets, after several generations of mixing, the drops could eventually end up completely different than the way they started. In situations where a hybrid is not created, you'd still have a "normal" seed with altered genes. If this seed then gets traded back and forth between shared banks and mixed with even more seeds the situation could get out of hand from a programming standpoint.
Maybe a solution could be - you get a hybrid or you get nothing. This way there are no "corrupted" Dandelion or Stinkweed seeds to accidently mix with your other seeds.
2 things:

1. I completely overlooked the gene pool issue. In that case you are right about that so the "Get a hybrid or get nothing" rule is very very VERY important if this idea would ever be taking in to consideration.
  2. I used the Dandelion and Stinkweed as examples but that does lead us to a very good point. If this would ever be implemented then plants that hate eachother could not breed.

Thank you for your comment! I never really saw this from a programmer's view.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2013
hello! Just like you, gardening is my number one hobby, and I really like the idea of hybrid plants. However I do think instead of a "crafting station" two plants should just be grown next to one another, like cross pollinating. and for the plants themselves I think to stop the gene pools from getting out of hand, they should just be new versions of existing plants, similar to the evil snow pea and the evil magma pea, or the ninja figs and the deadly ninja figs.
Example: fickle pickle, cross pollinated with a key lime, would produce a sour fickle pickle seed.

Explorer
Jul 22, 2015
What if you mixed a desparagus with baby carrots? Would the plant grow faster? Would the needs and pests be reduced? I would like to see (result of idea)

Bawling Broccoli
Needs
Water
Magic
Difficulty

Reward