Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What do you think Polaris is based off?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 15, 2012
So I had been wondering what Polaris is based off. As many of you probably know, ( or it's probably just me)
All the worlds seem to be based off a country. For example, Krokatopia seems like it was based off of Egypt. Marlybone, maybe Britain. Zafaria, probably Africa.

Maybe Polaris is based off of Russia? It has many Russian-like themes, and some of the spells are Russian related as well. (Storm, rusalkas wrath, which translates to mermaids wrath, the myth seriously reminds me of Baba Yaga, a well know Russian witch, and balance. Balance is defiantly based off of Russia, because it involves nesting dolls.)

Now, about Polaris designs. Russia seems to be well known for its ballets, and for one of the images, I had seen polar bears dressed in ballet costumes. Also, the guards uniforms, seem to really resemble an older version of the Russian uniforms in the past. Russia is also very cold, much like Polaris.

Now that I got my rant out of the way? What do you guys think Polaris is based off of? I would love to hear some opinions

Explorer
May 17, 2009
It's obvi based off of Russia and France. I mean like look at the outfits and the accents of the Characters.

Sarah UnicornFlower

Master Of Ice

Delver
Aug 31, 2012
I agree that it's based on Russia under the control of a totalitarian government (curfews, strict rules, guards, etc.) I haven't played through much of Polaris, so there could be more to it.

Explorer
Sep 19, 2009
The design of the world definitely seems to resemble Russia, however, the story line seems to resemble the French Revolution at least in the beginning (haven't gotten through the whole world yet), plus the penguins have French accents. Also in P101, they talk about Napoleguin who is from Polaris, which is obviously a reference to Napoleon Boneparte from France. So I'm not exactly sure, maybe they based it on both Russia and France?

Samantha Hawkrider Exalted

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Polaris starts out as a mash-up between the French and Russian revolutions, with the Basstille and the Empress and Danton filling in the French roles, and Ivan, Bearyshnakov, and Kamensky bringing in the Russian side.

Once you leave Walruskberg, you're squarely in Russian folktale-land with rusalkas, Baba Yaga, and the crew in the Sunless Shrine who may remind you of some other tall, winged characters in glinting armor who test your mettle in a great and glorious hall.

After that it's certainly no coincidence that Rasputin is a lead character. There's certainly some other places reflected in the mines and the docks around town.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
KatCat379 on Nov 4, 2015 wrote:
So I had been wondering what Polaris is based off. As many of you probably know, ( or it's probably just me)
All the worlds seem to be based off a country. For example, Krokatopia seems like it was based off of Egypt. Marlybone, maybe Britain. Zafaria, probably Africa.

Maybe Polaris is based off of Russia? It has many Russian-like themes, and some of the spells are Russian related as well. (Storm, rusalkas wrath, which translates to mermaids wrath, the myth seriously reminds me of Baba Yaga, a well know Russian witch, and balance. Balance is defiantly based off of Russia, because it involves nesting dolls.)

Now, about Polaris designs. Russia seems to be well known for its ballets, and for one of the images, I had seen polar bears dressed in ballet costumes. Also, the guards uniforms, seem to really resemble an older version of the Russian uniforms in the past. Russia is also very cold, much like Polaris.

Now that I got my rant out of the way? What do you guys think Polaris is based off of? I would love to hear some opinions
just look at the references... it's the french revolution, with russians.
(just like dragonspyre was ancient rome with russians)

aesthetically, it's a beautiful world. it's new and fun, a shimmering oasis (after nearly 2 years of no new content and nothing to do at level 100 but farm castle dreadmore) and i'm absolutely in love with the design/music/characters~ don't care for the new crit/block system one bit; however, prof. falmea said they'd fix it, so yeah.

(fun fact: mikhail baryshnikov- or "bear-yshnakov", in game- is a russian ballet dancer; so yeah, there is that.)

-von

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
France and Russia. As you said, many of the things reference Russia, but the penguins have a French accent, and the setting is much like France just before the revolution; the people are very oppressed, there's a prison, full of prisoners, where you might be sent at any moment (the name is basically the same as well) and so on.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
It's obviously a mash up of the French and Russian Revolutions. Rasputin was the advisor to Tsar Nicholas before the revolution who many people thought was capable of the evil eye and controlling people's will. It's like the French peasants revolting against the Russian royalty.

Survivor
Sep 03, 2013
French revolution, when Napoleon attacked Russia and when France lost because of a terrible cold weather. Russian revolution happend 100-200 years after French revolution.

Explorer
May 17, 2009
littlesparrow101 on Nov 5, 2015 wrote:
The design of the world definitely seems to resemble Russia, however, the story line seems to resemble the French Revolution at least in the beginning (haven't gotten through the whole world yet), plus the penguins have French accents. Also in P101, they talk about Napoleguin who is from Polaris, which is obviously a reference to Napoleon Boneparte from France. So I'm not exactly sure, maybe they based it on both Russia and France?

Samantha Hawkrider Exalted
Yay someone else noticed the French Revolution too!

Sarah UnicornFlower

Master Of Ice

Explorer
May 17, 2009
seethe42 on Nov 5, 2015 wrote:
It's obviously a mash up of the French and Russian Revolutions. Rasputin was the advisor to Tsar Nicholas before the revolution who many people thought was capable of the evil eye and controlling people's will. It's like the French peasants revolting against the Russian royalty.
Rasputin was actually a Priest who worked for his wife and he "healed" her sick son. He was then put to death for practicing some really creepy dark magic stuff on servants I believe. He was bad news lets just say.

Sarah UnicornFlower

Master Of Ice

Survivor
Jan 15, 2012
I had just recently watched a test realm lets play of Polaris, I had not realized that in fact there was a Baba Yaga professor, or that the spell was actually based off of her for myth. It was all a wild guess on that one.

At first I had originally thought Polaris was based off of France as well, but changed my mind to thinking it was just Russia until now. you guys all being up really great points, and I'm happy I'm not the only one who thinks it's based off of Russia/France.
( i had a feeling dragonspyre was related to Russia since the first read the names and heard the accents of the NPC's. I thought I was wrong )

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Sapphirewater on Nov 5, 2015 wrote:
Rasputin was actually a Priest who worked for his wife and he "healed" her sick son. He was then put to death for practicing some really creepy dark magic stuff on servants I believe. He was bad news lets just say.

Sarah UnicornFlower

Master Of Ice
He wasn't a priest, he was a peasant healer who worked on their son and also an advisor to the Tsar and Tsarina. He was assassinated by opposition in the Army who opposed the changes he made through his influence on them. Mainly the Tsar taking direct command of the Army. He was an occultist and very well versed in the Bible but he was neither a priest nor a practitioner of dark magic. Those are folk tales that arose after his murder.

Explorer
May 17, 2009
seethe42 on Nov 6, 2015 wrote:
He wasn't a priest, he was a peasant healer who worked on their son and also an advisor to the Tsar and Tsarina. He was assassinated by opposition in the Army who opposed the changes he made through his influence on them. Mainly the Tsar taking direct command of the Army. He was an occultist and very well versed in the Bible but he was neither a priest nor a practitioner of dark magic. Those are folk tales that arose after his murder.
Ummmmm I'm not sure if all your facts are correct but that's mostly correct. His death was really nasty..... Let's just say that....

Sarah UnicornFlower

Master Of Ice

Explorer
Nov 11, 2010
Part French revolution but the place is Russia,France doesn't have that much snow LOL

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
Definitely a mix of Russia and France.

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
any game you play will have a basis in real life events, places, or people. there a reason a lot of game designers have knowledge of history, world events, geography, ect.

krokotopia: Egypt - time of Israel's deliverance from egyption slavery under moses.
marleybone: name of prominent street in London, Egland.
mooshu: China - pre-1900s
dragonspyre: dragons
grizzleheim/wintertusk: Nordic
celestia: atlantea
zafaria: central African plains
Avalon: England - King Arthur
Azteca: south/central America w/ dinosaur
khrysalis: insects
Polaris: polar regions Russia, Finland, Antarctic, ect.

Explorer
Jan 27, 2013
Chiaki Minami on Nov 19, 2015 wrote:
any game you play will have a basis in real life events, places, or people. there a reason a lot of game designers have knowledge of history, world events, geography, ect.

krokotopia: Egypt - time of Israel's deliverance from egyption slavery under moses.
marleybone: name of prominent street in London, Egland.
mooshu: China - pre-1900s
dragonspyre: dragons
grizzleheim/wintertusk: Nordic
celestia: atlantea
zafaria: central African plains
Avalon: England - King Arthur
Azteca: south/central America w/ dinosaur
khrysalis: insects
Polaris: polar regions Russia, Finland, Antarctic, ect.
Good Thoughts...But Just one small problem.. MooShu is more based off of Japan than China. Feudal Japan to be exact

Defender
Dec 25, 2012
haven't posted here in forever but its based off russia

Survivor
Mar 03, 2013
I would say that this world is based off the French Revolution, but has a St. Petersburg theme to it. The two races of Polaris have either French, or Russian accents from what it seems and the whole idea of Rasputin, who was an alleged mystical healer, a peasant, and a realtive of the Romanovs, during the time of the Bolshevik Revolution in Russia in 1917. The Empress stepping down in the game resmembles when Tsar Nicholas II abdicated the throne and the power was in the hands of the Bolsheviks.

This is my view on Polaris, a resemblence of France and Russia combined with some historical figures and ideas.

Patrick NightShade Lvl 104

Stephen FireBlade Lvl 48

Kane BattleBringer Lvl 36

Squire
Jul 04, 2012
I think it's a mix of Russia and France.

Angela Gem, Level 110
Katie GoldFountain, Level 90

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
"Zafaria, probably Africa"

Do you even know how diverse Africa is?

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2010
Odd how there are two worlds based on Russia now...
Also why does Polaris have American-like propraganda? I thought this was supposed to be based off of Russia and France.

Survivor
Jul 08, 2013
I also think its French and Russian Revolution, But I Think I'm seeing a little bit of Ireland??? Honestly its all a amazing world, But kingsisle gets more credit than they deserve 'cause they are confusing a lot of people what its based off of. - Justin Starblossom Level 20 Don't ask how I got into Polaris xD

Survivor
Jul 08, 2013
Maybe It IS based of off of Colonial America during the winter, I'm just sayin' and I remember someone saying how Marleybone is probably based off of Britian, but it's actually pretty obvious.