Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

snacks without games for pets

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Nov 02, 2011
I think that you should be able to feed your pet without having to play a game. Pets would only get boosted for that snack instead of when you train you get the training points and the snack points. This is also makes sense because they should be able to eat when they can instead of only after a pet game.

Survivor
Dec 16, 2012
Thank you. Iv'e been thinking this for sooooo long

Defender
Apr 10, 2012
I'm am not a fan of the pet mini games, I don't even to the derby, but I do like having a pet to aid me in quests. The only pet mini game I do is the pet cannon. I think you are forgetting that it requires energy to train your pet and this helps to keep it challenging for leveling your pet. You don't have to win the mini game to feed your pet, it will give you a bonus if you so sure. I suggest going to pet cannon, click the fire button without aiming if you don't feel like playing it and then afterwards you feed your pet. :)

Delver
Aug 31, 2012
This is a good idea, and to stop people from spamming snacks to their pet until they're mega, the pet could have a hunger bar that shows how many snacks can be eaten at a certain time, then there can be a cooldown until more snacks can be fed. Just to make pets more realistic .

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
Do you not think this has been suggested multiple times before? Most probably ain't happening.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
captain jarlaxle on Aug 16, 2015 wrote:
I think that you should be able to feed your pet without having to play a game. Pets would only get boosted for that snack instead of when you train you get the training points and the snack points. This is also makes sense because they should be able to eat when they can instead of only after a pet game.
Absolutely not. It sounds great but the impact on the game would be devastating.
This would make the Pet Pavilion virtually obsolete with the exception of the hatching room. Why bother with a training game, with a maximum of a 4 point reward, when you can just feed the snacks directly to your pet? Next thing people will want their pet to absorb the snacks directly into their systems through osmosis! Hey, I'm all for smoothing things out but this goes way too far.

Explorer
Mar 24, 2009
Linsilee Moonwillo... on Aug 18, 2015 wrote:
I'm am not a fan of the pet mini games, I don't even to the derby, but I do like having a pet to aid me in quests. The only pet mini game I do is the pet cannon. I think you are forgetting that it requires energy to train your pet and this helps to keep it challenging for leveling your pet. You don't have to win the mini game to feed your pet, it will give you a bonus if you so sure. I suggest going to pet cannon, click the fire button without aiming if you don't feel like playing it and then afterwards you feed your pet. :)
I made a similar post on this actually. I'd LOVE this as I too am just sick and tired of the pet games. I normally do the maze and the Memory game. Seriously, I can do the memory game blind. I've done it so much I can tell what the directions are from the sounds. However, this would be feasible as every option would have it's bonuses.

Pet games - 4 EXP bonus per game.
Races - PVP Bonus Points.
Quick Snacks - Frees up time.

What I'd do is have it so feeding your pet a snack still takes the same amount of energy, but it frees you up to do other questing. It'd be nice if you don't want to spend an hour or so playing games to level up your pets every day.

Explorer
Mar 24, 2009
TucsonWizard on Aug 18, 2015 wrote:
Absolutely not. It sounds great but the impact on the game would be devastating.
This would make the Pet Pavilion virtually obsolete with the exception of the hatching room. Why bother with a training game, with a maximum of a 4 point reward, when you can just feed the snacks directly to your pet? Next thing people will want their pet to absorb the snacks directly into their systems through osmosis! Hey, I'm all for smoothing things out but this goes way too far.
Because for those wizards without a ton of Mega Snacks, the 4 point reward is a good thing. Think about it this way, if you have a max of 120 GP, that's a total of 60 games at baby, which if you hit 4 points all the time is 240 points or enough to get 2 different pets to Teen off of the bonus points alone.

It's like those wizards who don't have a ton of gold can refill their potions through the mini games.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
GoCowbvoys on Aug 19, 2015 wrote:
Because for those wizards without a ton of Mega Snacks, the 4 point reward is a good thing. Think about it this way, if you have a max of 120 GP, that's a total of 60 games at baby, which if you hit 4 points all the time is 240 points or enough to get 2 different pets to Teen off of the bonus points alone.

It's like those wizards who don't have a ton of gold can refill their potions through the mini games.
(First, by 120 GP I assume you mean 120 energy.)

It was a rhetorical question and thank you, you've helped to prove my point which is... using the OP's suggestion you could do all of that without even bothering with the mini games. Ever again!
For the sake of argument let's say the average mini game takes anywhere from one to four minutes to complete, depending upon the game. If you're good at it you get the max (4) award for playing plus the bonus points from the pet snack. So 60 games at baby is going to take from one to four hours and you get the 240 base points. Many of the pet training complaints on this forum focus on the time it takes to train. If you could stand in your home and endlessly shovel snacks down your pet's throat you could accomplish the same thing in far less time and use ABSOLUTELY NONE of your energy. I'm just saying I think that's far too convenient and would damage the system. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the majority of people who complain about the time it takes to train pets would gladly give up training altogether if they could save all of that time and energy. The Pet Pavilion would end up a barren wasteland. We might as well do away with snacks and training altogether and simply let pets advance with age.

Explorer
Nov 02, 2011
Okay I see what some of you are saying but as one person said maybe you can train your pet for however long your energy allows it but when you just feed your pet you can only give it lets say 10 snacks and then he would be full but if you play the mini games the pet could lets say build up an appetite so you can feed it one time after each game like normal.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
captain jarlaxle on Aug 20, 2015 wrote:
Okay I see what some of you are saying but as one person said maybe you can train your pet for however long your energy allows it but when you just feed your pet you can only give it lets say 10 snacks and then he would be full but if you play the mini games the pet could lets say build up an appetite so you can feed it one time after each game like normal.
10 Mega Snacks would still be 400 to 500 experience, enough to get a pet to Adult. 2 is the most I could accept.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
It's pet TRAINING, not feeding. The snacks are fed in conjunction with training. Feeding snacks straight to pets for no energy cost totally destroys the pet system, as TucsonWizard said. Snacks reinforce training, they shouldn't replace it. I wouldn't be completely opposed to feeding snacks directly if they had a cooldown clock and still costs the same energy as playing a game does. So you can feed your pet 1 snack every 4 mins, or you can play a minigame and have no cooldown clock.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I think they could improve the experience without OP the games. If they gave a time/accuracy bonus, that would help. Like the dance game, if you get it done in less time, or in the canon game, if you get all shots in the bullseye, etc. Also, there is a gem out now that gives you, I believe, 1% XP from battles to your pet

Explorer
Jul 04, 2015
they should just increase the amount of xp the pet games to say about 40xp (10-20 xp min, 40xp max).

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
I do think Max XP from the mini-games should be higher than 4. Maybe it should go to 8?

I don't think we should be able to skip it completely though. It is called Pet Training afterall.