Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Crafting XP

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
As it stands now our crafting levels are determined by completing specific quests. The rest of the time, regardless of how many items we craft, our level remains stagnant. To me this doesn't seem quite right. I think that every time we craft something we should get a little bump in our character XP. Nothing extravagant but a little something as a reward for actually using the skill. After all, we get XP for fishing every time we catch something and we get XP for gardening every time we harvest. It goes toward the fishing and gardening levels but at least it's something. The argument could be made that when we craft something we get the crafted item or we can opt to sell it for gold at the Bazaar but the same is true for fishing and gardening. In those activities we get the booty and the XP so I think crafting should be similar. This would also be a reason for a lot of folks who don't bother with crafting to get involved in it. I've seen post after post from people who want to get the crafting quest off their books but don't want to bother with completing it. This might provide some incentive for those who wouldn't normally finish it.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I think this would do the opposite of what you think. Right now you only have to craft a couple items for each level. Doing it with XP like Gardening & Fishing would require much more Crafting to level up. Many players craft only to be able to get certain gear, making it more time consuming isn't going to get more players to try it.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
seethe42 on Jul 7, 2015 wrote:
I think this would do the opposite of what you think. Right now you only have to craft a couple items for each level. Doing it with XP like Gardening & Fishing would require much more Crafting to level up. Many players craft only to be able to get certain gear, making it more time consuming isn't going to get more players to try it.
I see your point but I guess I really didn't emphasize that the XP would go towards Wizard level, not towards Crafting. The Crafting level mechanic is fine the way it is as far as I'm concerned. I just think that if I craft 50 fish tanks or transmute 100 sandstone I should get some actual experience credit for using that skill, not in Crafting but for my Wizard as a whole.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
seethe42 on Jul 7, 2015 wrote:
They COULD change how crafting works AND keep the current level system the same. I dont know how well it would work, but here's my idea:

Crafting quest would equal level progression like it does now; you would get to the next level with 0 XP. Then, as we craft more things, we would gain XP, but NEVER obtain the next level until we did the next crafting quest. The XP would be used as a level requirement. So, let's say you needed grandmaster artisan and 40,000 XP in order to craft something. if you don't have Grandmaster Artisan and 40k XP, then you have to wait until you hit Legendary Artisan to craft it.

This is JUST an example, and values should be treated as such