Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Traps and shields not triggering in pvp

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Has anyone else noticed that from time to time traps and/or shields do not trigger in pvp?

I have had the following happen, I can't tell if there is a reason or not.

--I cast a feint, and have a 30% trap placed back on me. My opponent casts a feint on me and then attacks. The attack triggers the 70% trap that they cast, but not the 30% one left over from my cast.

--My opponent has two shields on themself. I cast gaze of fate and the first attack triggers the first shield but the second attack acts as though there is no shield.

I've seen these in various combinations... is it just me?

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
ChicoValerian on Jul 4, 2015 wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that from time to time traps and/or shields do not trigger in pvp?

I have had the following happen, I can't tell if there is a reason or not.

--I cast a feint, and have a 30% trap placed back on me. My opponent casts a feint on me and then attacks. The attack triggers the 70% trap that they cast, but not the 30% one left over from my cast.

--My opponent has two shields on themself. I cast gaze of fate and the first attack triggers the first shield but the second attack acts as though there is no shield.

I've seen these in various combinations... is it just me?
Alas this is not a glitch but simply a product of spell mechanics:

-Feint acts that way because it is considered the same spell. 2 of the same spell cannot stack so your opponent's attack will only trigger the trap from one of the 2 feints.

-Gaze of Fate hits 2 different types of damage: The first hit from gaze will deal balance damage and the second hit will deal a random school's damage. If the second hit chooses a damage type you do not have a shield to then the attack will hit straight through.

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
I have seen weird feint affects. What seems to happen is when you cast feint the 70% offensive trap and the 30% penalty trap have the same identification code. This causes weirdness when you and your opponent cast feint on each other. The algorithm that checks for charms and wards that apply to an attack sees the 30% and 70% feint traps as having the same code and thinks they are identical, so it only applies the last one cast and ignores the other.

I'm not actually progressed to the point I can cast shadow spells, but I note that gaze of fate takes both regular pips and a shadow pip. Could it be the first attack is counted as balance damage but the second attack is treated as shadow damage?