Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Possible Jewel Bug (or lack of understanding)?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 16, 2010
Hey Dorms,
Recently, I have affixed two Dull Damage Sapphires to my wizard and I have come to noticed that they do not seem to work at all. I have tested Woolly Mammoth on Lost Souls with no enchantments (with a calculator at my side) and observed that only my gear's damage boost came into effect.

From this I have two theories. One, there is a bug that is keeping jewels from doing their jobs or two, jewels are only supposed to work half of the time and I have not realized that.

Any comments will be appreciated, thanks!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Bounded Bard on Jul 1, 2015 wrote:
Hey Dorms,
Recently, I have affixed two Dull Damage Sapphires to my wizard and I have come to noticed that they do not seem to work at all. I have tested Woolly Mammoth on Lost Souls with no enchantments (with a calculator at my side) and observed that only my gear's damage boost came into effect.

From this I have two theories. One, there is a bug that is keeping jewels from doing their jobs or two, jewels are only supposed to work half of the time and I have not realized that.

hi bard~ it seems that you've misunderstood how certain jewels work; allow me to clarify.

damage and resist jewels do not deal in percentages~ if they did, they would be ridiculously overpowered. so, if you have a jewel that gives +13 (as the dull damage sapphire does), 13 (not 13%) gets added to the base damage.

for example:

woolly mammoth is 800-900 base damage.
add your jewel, and that's 813-913 damage (without enchants)
now, apply your gear boost percentage for your total.

taking this into account, an ice wizard with a 32% damage boost from gear (no blades or other enchants) would hit for approximately 1073 damage, using the numbers above.

hope this helps :)

-von
exalted

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Bounded Bard on Jul 1, 2015 wrote:
Hey Dorms,

FYI, the damage stats given by Dull Damage jewels are flat values, not percentages. So if your jewel is +10 it's only going to add a flat 10 points to your base damage. Have you tried using a spell that does a fixed damage amount? This would allow you to get a better read on whether the jewels are actually working. Using the +10 example, a fixed damage spell that does a base 100 will actually do 110. As far as I know they aren't supposed to work randomly. That would make them even less useful than they are now. I file them in the category of "every little bit helps".

Survivor
Apr 10, 2009
No the damage jewels are flat my friend. So lets say i have +44 damage from the jewels and i was attacking with bugs. Now this part gets me confused cause some say it goes before the attack but some say it goes after. But bugs is lets say 1100, the +44 will add to that number, the attack now becomes 1144. the jewels for damage are not percentage wise.