Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spell Improvements

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 05, 2009
There are many improvements needed for many spells across the spiral. I'm only going to mention fire right now because my main wizard is fire. When hit all (AoE) fire spells are being talked about, rarely does anyone mention scald. Two of the main features of fire wizards are their dots and their AoE spells (they tend to have the most). We don't hit as hard as storm wizards, but we are great at spamming lots of spells that hit everything and slowly burn down enemies and remove shields. Few fire wizards seems to use scald regularly though, and I think the problem is that there isn't adequate animation with the spell. Heckhound has the 3 tick dot too without the initial hit, but it at least has the great animation when you first cast it. Can't we get some type of animation for Scald too, perhaps have one of the Marleybone knife wielding cat thiefs (since the spell is obtained by finishing Marleybone) toss a bucket of boiling liquid, either on each person one at a time or a big splash in the middle and then the dots could begin. I don't know, I just know scald is useful but terribly boring to cast. Spell animations are what keep players in this game more than anything in my opinion.

And how about detonate. Sooooo many players have asked that something be done with detonate. One of the great things about playing a fire wizard is the ability to spam attack, build up for big hits, slowly burn down enemies, or go for one shot kills. The versatility of this class is what makes it so fun to play. If detonate were 0 pips or even 1 pip it would give fire wizards more versatility. Perhaps even turn detonate into a card that could be added onto another card, like making a blade sharpened, or a trap potent, colossal, etc.. so that a Rain of fire could become a hit all spell where all damage is done up front. Please make this spell valuable other than in just 1 fight in Avalon. It exists to make fire more versatile with their attacking, but instead just never gets used by anyone.

Thanks

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I agree, the animation for scald is seriously lacking. The ONLY thing it does is add the DoT tick. There should be SOME animation for this. Fire does have a lot of DoT and/or AoE spells.

As for Detonate, Im afraid I dont see a change in the cards (sorry, I couldnt resist the bad pun). I have felt for a LONG time that Detonate should be switched to the Sun School, for everybody to be able to use, and be applied to the cards just like any other sun school spell. Some spells have very specific uses and are pointless outside of it. You wouldnt waste your time doing a Potent Backdraft on a one of four fight in PvE would you? You wouldnt waste time casting a Storm Shield if you werent fighting monsters that dont have storm attacks, would you?

Survivor
Nov 01, 2013
Hi
I am a fire wizard (I have 5!!) and I agree that scald needs a new animation. I just got done with marleybone and love it, but it is jut DoT symbols and that is it. The marleybone cat thing would be great. As far as detonate, I have the Item card version and it would be nice if it were like sun spells.
Thanks

Survivor
May 11, 2011
When I first received that spell, I had not seen it before. Looking at the graphic on the card I thought it would have an animation similar to poison, like a circle of fire appears around the enemy and then the tic shows up. It is an excellent spell, one that I enjoy using. I think if there were an animation for it that would have more people use the spell. Though, I doubt there will be much change to the animation. Ra has been complained about for a while, and that spell still takes forever to finish animation.