Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 10-17-14

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hello Wizards! Another seven days has passed, and that means it's Friday again, so let's chat about a new topic!

This week saw the release of the Harrowing Nightmare Pack, along with the return of the existing Nightmare Pack, in the Crown Shop. We've been adding new goodies to this pack for a few years, and we realized this year, it was getting pretty full. As such, there's a lot of sweet stuff to obtain, but it's much more difficult if you're trying for just one specific item.

Our question today is thus: are you happy that this year's new items were split off into a new pack, or do you wish we would have just followed suit from previous years and put the items in the existing pack? What do you think?

If packs aren't really your thing, hang tight and we'll chat about something new next week. Happy weekending, Wizards!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Survivor
Dec 10, 2008
I thought splitting it into two different packs was a great idea. I bought 10$ worth of crowns (using the 25% off code) and spent it all on the new pack. I believe that splitting the items into two packs makes the user have more of a choice deciding what they want. Thanks for listening to your users with these Feedback Fridays, it's awesome!

Defender
Sep 18, 2010
I personally love the new Packs, I kind of wish you guys did this in the first place. The only thing I must complain about though is the ultra rarity of the mounts and the truckload of TC and pet snacks plus common furniture. If I wanted TC I'd go to the Bazaar or buy a TC booster pack, same thing with pet snacks. And the furniture, I wouldn't complain about it being present in the pack if the furniture was new or never seen before. Kind of like what Pirate101 does with their packs. Anyways, thanks for another great year. :)

~ Sincerely, Jace Daniels . . . .

Survivor
Aug 15, 2009
I don't mind the splitting of goodies, but holy donuts do I have a suggestion for you regarding chat modifications that need to be made to the pet menu regarding hatching. Could you please add a few phrases to the effect of, "I don't have an available hatching timer." "I don't have the gold to hatch." "I already hatched." There's no way for open chat players to communicate this really to chat restricted players other than by saying, "Sorry, but I can't help you right now," which really doesn't give enough information to the requester.

Survivor
Jul 07, 2013
i like the to packs gives us options!
Now i have a question did you remove the glowing staffs from the old packs i have bought all my crowns and not one staff yet i don't want to waste more if not there i need four more to finish my wizards off . please don't leave my without there glowing staffthanks for a quick reply

Sincerely,
Autumn night
Autumn moon
Autumn storm
Autumn rain
Autumn fire
Autumn lotus

Autumn night

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
I love the Harrowing Nightmare Pack! Splitting them up was a great idea, and I hope you do it again next year.

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
I love the two packs. I am hoping it means our odds are better for getting the stuff we want this way. Plus I can custom buy for just the things I am hoping to get. Well done whoever thought of it. This Wizard is very happy.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Big thumbs up to creating the Harrowing Nightmare Pack!
Because drops are random, and there's lots of items; having two different packs is the way to go!

In another forum posting, the Original Poster was upset they spent $50.00, hoping for one particular item to be dropped from the Nightmare Pack; that never did.

The only work around solution I can imagine is where pack items are made available in the future, as drops from quests or defeating certain bosses; and also in crafting them.

Loremaster's 14 spells are a perfect example of this. Players battle Loremaster for the opportunity to receive a randomly dropped spell from her. As Wizard 101 evolved, players were able to obtain spells as drops from certain bosses. Then players were able to craft some of these spells. And now; players are able to craft all the spells.
With the Harrowing Nightmare Pack, it may not be possible to please everyone on the planet; but I and many players are very impressed with this pack. I received pets, gear and lots of items for one of my houses.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Two is good, but honestly the Dragontooth set could be split off to make a third pack.

The drop rates are already pretty low for the high demand items, and having multiple sets in a single pack means ... well, you better hope your pockets are deep ($$$$$). Plus, the filler items are a bit of a nuissance. Why is there a Lollipop Wand in the Nightmare Pack, for example? Wrong holiday.

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
Honestly Professor. I like what I've seen of the stuff in the new packs, by and large. The lower level snacks for me are next to useless outside of selling them for gold. The wands and their stats are insane [223 storm critical on the storm one I saw on someone in the hatchery? Holy wow! I want, I want I want! for my storm wiz] and I love that. My gripe is the mounts. out of all those mounts only one is permanent it seems like, and the rest are one day or one week rentals? I've gotten 3 or 4 of the mounts and spent some 5000 crowns, give or take to do it. I could have bought one outright for that much. However, every single mount I got was a temp. So here's my feedback. If you're going to put mounts in the packs. Make them ALL permanent. The pets to be honest don't matter as much to me unless there's wicked cards that come with them, [such as the Dr Von's Monster on the Mummy Cat, or Deer knight you can sometimes get with the deer knight, etc] because I'm not a pet collector. As some of my other wizards seem to be. Forex to me the twin automatons in the builder pack are useless so I didn't bother with the pack or the pets. However the wands, the Gear and the Mounts in the two halloween packs? Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My yes! So keep the two packs split as they are, just (again) make all the possible mounts permanent next year. Oddly I haven't seen anyone with any of the Guitar wands yet. weird. The wands were as I said something else I've been trying for in buying the packs

Max lvl
Lvl 90 Storm
Lvl 35 Death
Lvl 22 Life..

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
I like "opening" packs and I try to save crowns for the Halloween and Christmas packs, but I'd be willing to pay more if they weren't loaded with housing items and common reagents/treasure cards.

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
I would rather post what is new in the present update and not what was in the previous pack. This is because we can get new things that we can love instead of old things, TTYL

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
I'm not one for buying a bunch of packs, but I do like the split. Mostly because the harrowing nightmare pack has it's own unique theme to it. The original nightmare pack was just a generic halloween pack, but the Harrowing Nightmare pack throws in a rock and roll element, with a little bit of Mad Hatter. I've seen a lot of uses of the concept of an undead rock band, and it always meshes perfectly. So anyway, go ahead and start a new version of various packs, but put a twist on the theme for the newer version. Like, if you try to do it with the Yuletide pack, theme the items around the story of "A Christmas Carol"

Survivor
Jul 04, 2012
A new pack would have been wonderful - IF it was a new pack. The new Halloween pack is a huge disappointment. There was absolutely no reason to offer it.

The gear is awful (I checked it out to level 80 - after that I don't know what's in the gear). Even the "gourd guitar wands look great in the pics, but don't show up right on the walls.

Almost every single housing item in the pack can be bought at the Bazaar for gold all year long. The altar with candles? A broom? Seriously? This was the best that KI could offer for the best time of the year?

Players have been BEGGING for more wallpapers, flooring and housing items with which to create truly fabulous Death and Wyrd Houses. Instead of coming up with something new, KI simply put a bunch of junk in the new pack. I was crazy about the furniture and accessories in the new Quests with The Professor. Why couldn't KI have included some of those - they've already designed them. Or ANY new "spooky" items? The only thing worth having were the Harrowings.

BTW, just saying, we've also asked REPEATEDLY for Wysteria furnishings and accessories. We're STILL waiting.

You asked - this is my answer. KI dropped the ball on this one! I won't purchase another of those packs - KI has given me absolutely no reason to and I'm a big Wizard101 pack fan!

I hope next year KI will make more of an effort on the Halloween packs.

Regards,
Suzne

Survivor
Jul 04, 2012
I was rather negative about the new Halloween pack in my response (and very disappointed), but I want to thank KI for several things offered for Halloween.

The 3 Halloween Fish are incredibly cool!! Thanks for that!

The new Professor Quests (level appropriate from beginner to advanced) were terrific - great story lines, good progression and who doesn't love "The Doctor?"

I should have put this in my other post - KI deserves kudos for these events. Can't wait to see what the Christmas Fish will be like! Hope there might be some Thanksgiving fish too!

Take good care! See you in the Spiral!
Suzne

Survivor
Aug 29, 2009
Either is fine, but PLEASE don't put in worthless pet snacks or tc or common housing items we got as drops at level 20. Mix in a good seed or mega snack or rare reagent or unique item. Once we reach a high level our backpacks, homes, and banks our overflowing with junk we can't even sell because we are maxed out on gold.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I'm very happy with the split -- the old Nightmare pack was already too large, and the chances of getting nice items had gotten too low. With the new pack it seems the chances seem more balanced.

My one disappointment is that I had hoped for new death-themed housing items this year as well. In both packs, we have the same selection of items we have had for years, when it comes to housing. Actually, with the Halloween events each year, I find that death wizards wind up with a really good selection of equipment and pets compared to my other wizards (although, with the Christmas events, the ice wizard comes close). But what we still run short on, is a variety of death-themed housing items. I would especially like new death-themed wallpapers and flooring.

Overall though, I have to say this is a great addition to what is already the best seasonal event in the game. Both Nightmare packs are really good, the Halloween events and dungeons are delightful, the new BOXES event is fantastic -- kudos KI!

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Hi Professor Falmea,
I love the new Harrowing pack. I've been waiting for the return of the Nightmare pack to try and get the original nightmare cowls etc for my Necromancer ( I do have some from last year but they are lvl 90 so she can't use them). I bought all the new outfits and I am very impressed with them, I also like the harrowing wings, I've gotten one day ones but I'm still trying for a permanent set. Overall I think the quality of the items is very good. I'd like to see a few more pets in the pack.
Keep up the good work, I hope there will be some new surpirses in this year's Yuletide Card Pack.
James
Michael
Michael
Rowan
and Alura

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Yeah, I'm glad the packs are split now. I don't remember how or why I did it, but I stitched over my Darkwraith's Atonement Cowl (that was already stitched onto something else so I couldn't just unstitch it) last year. I've spent somewhere around 30,000 Crowns between last year and this year trying to get another one, and I had probably spent that much on Nightmare Packs before I got the first one.

All the new gear added last year already made it more difficult to get, adding more this year would have made it even worse. But still, I didn't get it this year neither. At some point I have to examine the cost and maybe accept that the Umbral Cowl is close enough.

Community Leader
I simply adore the new pack. My death wizard has a whole new look. Since the first day I saw the boy version of the Halloween costume, I have been wanting a skull mask for my death wizard. Thank you so much.

I think adding new stuff gives the packs, gives new life to them. I would love to see some new spooky furniture next year. Maybe some new costumes too?

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
I'd much rather have good gear items for sale individually than in packs. Packs are fun for costumes and housing items, but not something I want to count on. Please make the wands available some other way.

As far as these specific packs, it was good to split them. I've tried the original Nightmare pack before, and done the Halloween quests so I wasn't interested in the old stuff, but the new pack is fresh. Thanks for adding new things!

Survivor
Dec 26, 2011
i love pack my only compliant are the wands in the new pack they were ground breaking but they also created a lot of problems for pvpers i don't pvp so it is major me but the wands are essentially useless for wizards that are not of the school. its quite upsetting to have a useless wand because i'm a lover of pack wands. this was by far the worse pack for gambling on a useful wand

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
I love the new pack! I got the permanent false dawn harrowings on my second try!! It's great because there's a better chance of getting the items you want because there's not as much items in the pack

Thanks KI!! Happy Halloween!!! (13 more days! Probably 12 by the time this is up...)

Explorer
Sep 26, 2012
Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with packs ;+S
I love this way of getting lots of different pets, gear, items, etc for a very small amount of Crowns and the nice surprises when we open the lucky one.
But usually, I can't stop myself and I end up with the post-pack-blues, lol :
no more Crowns, full backpacks and banks I have to sort by filling houses of items I don't need because, after all these Crowns spent, I can't make up my mind to sell them...
By the way, is there a support group somewhere like Pack Addicts Anonymous? lol.

Anyway, yes, another Halloween pack was definitely a great idea because the Nightmare pack is already overflowing of items.
Trying to find the new gear, pet and mounts in the same pack would have been... a nightmare, lol.

Although, after I spent a huge amount of Crowns in the Harrowing pack (120$ later I still couldn't get the permanent mount I wanted, grrr), I was quite frustrated to find the same items I've already got so often in Nightmare pack, I was expecting a new variety of loots.
But now, it makes sense if you say it's not a new pack but half of the Nightmare pack with the addition of the new items of this year.

However, I'll be way more happy with the surprise we'll get next week ;+D
(Extra Life event gave me a pretty good idea of what it'll be and I can't wait, if it's what I think it is, my money will be well spent this time ;+P

window.onbeforeunload = function() {}

Survivor
Apr 21, 2011
I think the different packs are a good idea. I would have liked to see the Nightmare mount from last year added to the regular nightmare pack though. Having a chance to get that one as well as the green one would be great. :D I have it, but many people have asked me where i got it and if they could get it. It seems like adding that back into the mix would possibly satisfy those people who weren't playing two years ago.