Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Would you prefer shorter version of your spells to play sometimes?

Yes! Some are too long.
70% [80]
No! Leave my spells alone.
29% [33]

Feedback Friday 7-25-2014

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hi Wizards! Another Friday find its way to us, and as such, it’s time for another Feedback Friday!

This week, let’s talk about those spells. We love watching the creatures on our spell cards come to life, but perhaps some of the really long, elaborate summons might be a little…lengthy. Please answer the poll above – would you be interested in us making a short version of some of the longer summons (think Dr. Von’s) that play sometimes (but have a chance to play the long version every once in a while), or would you rather see them every time in their full glory?

Have a wonderful weekend, Wizards!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
[playSoundFile: AngelicChorus]
Pretty much everyone has wanted something like this since forever, or at least since Tartarus came out. I swear, this game is 90% spell animation.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I think the Attack All spells could be shortened very easily without sacrificing the quality. Just make them work like Morganthe's spider attack. Do the animation once, hit everyone at the same time, add all the aftereffects. This would vastly improve team battles. Frost Giant for example, swings hammer, hammers down in the middle, all players take damage... he blows, all players get stun if not shielded. The same could be done with all AOE spells including heals.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2013
Oh my God........

That is all I asked for!!! I made a thread a long time ago suggesting a reduction of our spell's animation when we cast a spell. There are a lot of spells that take too long and it makes things really boring.

This is the best Friday feedback you guys could ever make. Hope this comes to life soon!

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
I would very much like that, and if you critical it's a very... long, anxious wait to see if it lands or not lol

Community Leader
Once I see a full version yes they seem a bit long. Now new ones? I love seeing the full version.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
I love most of my spells, it's just a few that always seem to drag on such as Humongofrog, Frost Giant, Rebirth, Etc. But having the option to sometimes get the long ones while having the short ones be the normal sounds like a fabulous idea.

Survivor
Apr 08, 2010
YES make this change! My husband quit this game because of the long spell animations, they make it very boring after the first few times you have seen the spell. I can't play without watching TV or doing something else at the same time because it is just way too slow. Get in a group of four people and killing things actually takes LONGER because of the horrendously long spells.

Why can't you taunt all enemies at the same time? Why does Medusa do five different sword poses for one attack/stun? This has been my only complaint about this game for a very long time. Shorter spell animations would be awesome!

Survivor
Aug 26, 2012
I just wanna say fix ra it takes a while please and thank you.

Survivor
Dec 02, 2008
Yes, yes, yes please! If I remember, the 1-2 pip attacks differ slightly in animation each time, yet don't take longer than 5 seconds. That would be great for higher level spells too. Or give us the option of turning off longer spell animations (like turning on/off dungeon warnings or whatnot).

Most of all, though, the Sprite spell is excessively long, and is often an annoyance as many pets carry the Spritely talent. To say the least, I'd be really happy if the Spritely Sprite animation time was reduced.

Thanks for this Feedback Friday, hope these changes can be implemented :)

Survivor
Jan 11, 2011
Yes please make them shorter. Frost giant and forest lord are way too long. Frost giant should hit the ground and then send over cracks similar to how Morganthe does hers like another commenter posted. Forest lord should skip the tree part or just have the trees come up same time he does. I also think that all of our spells should either have 3 random animations or a special animation for criticals.

Survivor
Jul 04, 2009
I'd love to see some short versions of the long spells. It would be nice to cast some sort of card on the spell you want to speed up so you don't have to see the fast version of the spell every time. Thanks for this Feedback Friday. :D

Community Leader
As the poll will reflect, I think, some spells have animations that are too long. Here's what puts you in a tricky position: When we get or see new spells, we want them to last a long enough time to be enjoyable and say "wow, that's awesome!" However, by the time we've viewed it the 100th time, it's not so great any more.

I feel like the Wizard101 staff has done an excellent job at scaling back animations that are too long, and I don't feel that there are too many that take forever left. The problem is that we all get to be "professionals," and just want to fly through everything. Spell animation is a part of the game and takes time, just as running from location to location does.

Thanks for this Feedback Friday!

Swordroll's Blog
https://www.swordroll.com/
Survivor
Aug 17, 2009
I'm with Paige. I like seeing the full version of the new spells, but it gets old waiting on the animation to finish sometimes.

Survivor
Apr 20, 2014
Well yes, the idea of spell being too long has been on the lips of every wizard for moons and ages.
one of two ideas could be implemented

1. make new shorter animations and when casted it has a chance of doing the long or short spell with the long one having a lower change

2. make it so that each battle or dungeon, once you cast the spell in battle once the short version will be played from then after in the same battle (first cast of the spell will always see the long version and then after its all short versions)

or you can have a combination of the 3, the main point though, spells take up so much time casting that alot of people just walk away from the computer and just wait 2-3 minutes, and listen out for that ping! sound (POWER PIP).

for youtubers it makes video length a real issue as it goes up to 30 or more minutes.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2011
Yeah, some spells might have little too long animation. Long animations might make some of the players bored. Particularly when storm is attacking with huge blade stack or death or etc.

My opinion to spell animations is: some are too long... that's why there should be speed up button, like in pvp there is spectating button.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
I've thought about this topic every time!!!!!!!!!!! Frost giant is one of the longest!!!! i really think it should be shorten because it's tiresome watching it swing that hammer 2x at 2-4 persons then has to stop and breathe on everyone after!!! That's why i dont use it much!! rain of fire is another, but i can tolerate it.
Others include: dr. von (mentioned), Ra, any of the Sprite spells, Leviathan (tolerable), humongofrog, orthrus. there may be others but these are the few i could think of.

Note: This is my personal opinion on spells i find that is long.

Explorer
Jan 20, 2010
seethe42 on Jul 25, 2014 wrote:
I think the Attack All spells could be shortened very easily without sacrificing the quality. Just make them work like Morganthe's spider attack. Do the animation once, hit everyone at the same time, add all the aftereffects. This would vastly improve team battles. Frost Giant for example, swings hammer, hammers down in the middle, all players take damage... he blows, all players get stun if not shielded. The same could be done with all AOE spells including heals.
i would LOVE this effect on all the AoE effects, perfect solution.

For the other spells on the other hand, i would like to see a pvp speed option. you choose a spell card, both players will see it burn or something (like in the trailers), then the effect of the card is added without any animations at all. It would work like a real "trading card game" you choose a summon, the effect takes place, next round. This way the card would only be displayed on the playingfield for 1-2 seconds, before the effects takes place and move on to the other cards... maybe the card can be shown while the wizard is doing the cast animation? (the card will appear black if they fizzled).

Survivor
May 11, 2011
I agree with seethe42 but also I get bored of the same old animation on rank 7+ spells and higher they need new animations like the hammer smashing in the floor crashing all enemies but ra is way to long

Survivor
Nov 27, 2009
I honestly would like to see alot of them shortened, some are obnoxiously long. I think alot of the AOE spells need to be a one hit to everyone just make it bigger and more massive to the point it hits everyone or design it in a certain way that makes it look like it does.

Dr.Von: needs a major shortening

Ice colossus: doesnt need to do the roaring before he hits

Leviathan: it doesnt need to do all the animation to smack you with a tail

Vampire: doesnt need to come up yawn and then hit either, he could just go ahead and hit

The Hounds: should be more like the one hound that ice has that just gets to the point.

The AOE spells: they should just do one huge attack on everyone, no reason for frost giant to swing a hammer for 20 minutes lol or the fire dragon to have to go to everyone to hit them with flames , storm lord should just throw one huge lightning bolt the list goes on.....

These are just some examples I will not cover every spell you get the point.... basically take the pointless things out of the animations and get to the point ...

Its already bad enough we spend all of our time walking to and fro between quest which is severely annoying and the game needs an auto-walk kinda system.

Survivor
Mar 20, 2012
I often do find myself getting bored watching the long animations over and over again, so yes it would be nice if they were shortened.

Survivor
Jul 13, 2011
I love my Fluffy (Forest Lord) but it does seem to take such a long time for the animation. Maybe cut out all the reaching for the trees? He does need to hit them all but the Frost Giant doesn't (as mentioned above). I agree that the long animation could be pared down a bit as is appropriate to the spell.

And that Chimera takes forever! That's usually when I go get a snack.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2011
I definitely think some spells are too long. Forest lord, for example, it's the only AOE life has and it seems to take quite awhile for the spell to end (especially when there are 4 opponents and there are a lot of blades and traps to be activated). It would be great to shorten their duration so that battles can move more quickly!

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
Yes, I like this idea very much, provided a wizard is guaranteed of seeing the full version the very first time he/she successfully casts the spell. I also second seethe42's suggestion about AOE's and heal-all spells.

Miranda Nightsinger, Exalted Necromancer
Scarlet Windhammer, Grandmaster Pyromancer
Iridian Lotusblade, Magus Sorcerer
Sabrina Boomblossom, Apprentice Theurgist

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
Thumbs up to you Professor Falmea! I imagine you will have a fabulous response to this poll.

The animations in the game are fantastic. The first time to see a Deer Knight, Storm Lord or flying Ninja Pigs make us say "WOW!" The creative graphic designers are incredibly talented to say the least. My next opinion in no way reflects on their collaborative creative effort.

Despite the brilliance in the graphics and sounds in the game, lengthy spell animations keep many players from 4v4 PvP simply because of the time commitment to watch all 8 player's spells in addition to all pet's spells. Some of my complaints regarding the longer dungeons also stem from the lengthy animations. We know what it takes to defeat the enemy, let us get to it and get out of there. I would be happy to walk up, select my spells and walk away seeing zero animation in dungeons like The Galleries, Tartarus, or Waterworks.

I'm having trouble envisioning how the game will play out if some wizards turn animations on, and others do not. Maybe an option at the start of the dungeon or in our gameplay settings? I'm sure you all have some magical ideas. With that in mind...

YES! Allow us the option to turn them partially or all off. Particularly for the Arena, Dungeons and in upper levels of the game.