Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Couch Potatoes vs. Evil Magma Peas

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 03, 2012
Hello Everyone

I've heard that Couch Potatoes and Evil Magma Peas are excellent sources for Rank 9 Mega Snacks. So which of these 2 plants seem to be a better option as a garden? They all have pros and cons so let me now what your ideas are.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I like them both, but Couch Potatoes are the better of the two. It is easier to meet all their likes, as the secondary plants that they like to be with are just KP, which are also low-maintenance high-yield self seeding plants. Couch Potatoes are also easier to farm -- Splithoof rager/barbarians in GH vs. Avalon.

I personally keep a large plot of Couch Potatoes with all their likes (including one KP), and a medium plot of Evil Magma peas with their non-plant likes, in my Red Barn Farm. That way I always have enough energy to tend both plots, and get a reliable yield of Mega snacks. I split my Couch Potato plot into two sections, so they don't all mature at the same time, so my yield is staggered, and I can do pet training on an ongoing basis when I want to. I sell the excess TC for gold.

Both plants are low-level pest plants that can be managed with dragonflies over time (but the secondary plants for evil magma peas can get some higher level pests).

Recently I learned that the "liked" plants can be left to die, and they still work as likes -- so it really may not make much difference.

Having both plants also gives different mega snacks which boost different pet stats, so you can level different stats in pet games more quickly by having a variety of plants, rather than a single plant source.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I like both. I have 2 wizards growing a total of 122 CP between them and 3 wizards growing 130 EMP total. The EMP take more work because they have more needs. As for the likes, I have 6 likes on both. The big problem with only growing CP, while it's a lot easier, is the 3 snacks you get. You will end up with maxed out pets that have 0 Intellect. That doesn't really matter unless you care about Derby Talents, but it kinda bugs me to train to Mega with all stats Max and one stat at nothing. The Cherry Tomatoes and Mystic Dragon Fruit that EMP's get add balance to the mega snacks.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I prefer EMPs overall. They use a medium plot as opposed to CPs using a large plot. You can fit many more EMPs in the overall plot space for spells. EMP's also gives more variety in mega snacks (5 different rank 9's) so you don't have to find other snacks to fill the stat bars.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
BrynnerOfReign on Jul 7, 2014 wrote:
I prefer EMPs overall. They use a medium plot as opposed to CPs using a large plot. You can fit many more EMPs in the overall plot space for spells. EMP's also gives more variety in mega snacks (5 different rank 9's) so you don't have to find other snacks to fill the stat bars.
The number of plants to a large spell is limited to 69 anyways, and you can fit 69 of any plot size into a large spell with creative gardening plots. The main argument in favor of CP's over EMP's is that CP's are very easy to farm and drop rather commonly. CP's drop from every creature in Savarstaad Pass, boss and mob. EMP's only drop from Avalon bosses. My pet peeve about EMP's is the fact that they give so many useless Polymorph Ninja Pig cards that cannot be sold and have to thrown away one at a time. CP's TC and lower snack drops make a lot more gold also.

Explorer
Nov 18, 2011
Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
EMP are a little faster and give more varied mega snacks, so those are a better buy to me. CP are easier to get as drops, so I've farmed some of those and I grow both. Deadly Helephant Ears and Sword Ferns are good plants too. It depends what you need most - snacks, reagents, TC, gold.

Survivor
Feb 24, 2013
Beecaster24 on Jul 5, 2014 wrote:
Hello Everyone

I've heard that Couch Potatoes and Evil Magma Peas are excellent sources for Rank 9 Mega Snacks. So which of these 2 plants seem to be a better option as a garden? They all have pros and cons so let me now what your ideas are.
It depends on what you'd rather, snacks and aura tcs the whole time then mega snack at elder, or other kinds of tc and reagents the whole time and a bigger variety of megas at elder.

I personally like Couch Potatoes more because they are easier to farm for plus their likes are easier to get

Gavin MythBreaker lvl 89

Blaze FireSlinger lvl 33

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Potatoes.

However, I actually would prefer Peas if the following conditions were met:
  • no more Polymorph Ninja Pig card rewards
  • a quieter laughing sound effect (it's much louder than it should be)

Survivor
Jul 31, 2011
CP for ease of obtaining them however they are slower in harvest, some one said they can get 69 large plots in a single large garden spell cast, I would like to see that.

EMPS you can make a garden of 75 of these pretty easy 5x5x3 so the cost to maintain them is nothing really 45 one day 65 the next the extra 20 is for dragonflies spell which leaves plenty of green mana to train pets if you can plant 75 of them. The biggest issue is having enough green mana (150) to plant 75 EMPS. A super keen gardener can get to harvest these 3 times a day while you are lucky to get a single harvest from a CP per day.

EMPS are hands down the best plant the bad part about them is to get any real number of them you will have to buy them from the crown shop since the drop rate is very low and only at certain Avalion bosses.
If you buy Mega snack packs you will get your coin back in about 3 weeks per seed from then on is just gravy.
Point to remember for those thinking of buying them, KI have at least 2 promotons a year where EMPS are half price so super worth it if you require lots of mega snacks to make lots of exceptional pets.

Happy gardening

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
thebabybunny on Jul 16, 2014 wrote:
CP for ease of obtaining them however they are slower in harvest, some one said they can get 69 large plots in a single large garden spell cast, I would like to see that.

EMPS you can make a garden of 75 of these pretty easy 5x5x3 so the cost to maintain them is nothing really 45 one day 65 the next the extra 20 is for dragonflies spell which leaves plenty of green mana to train pets if you can plant 75 of them. The biggest issue is having enough green mana (150) to plant 75 EMPS. A super keen gardener can get to harvest these 3 times a day while you are lucky to get a single harvest from a CP per day.

EMPS are hands down the best plant the bad part about them is to get any real number of them you will have to buy them from the crown shop since the drop rate is very low and only at certain Avalion bosses.
If you buy Mega snack packs you will get your coin back in about 3 weeks per seed from then on is just gravy.
Point to remember for those thinking of buying them, KI have at least 2 promotons a year where EMPS are half price so super worth it if you require lots of mega snacks to make lots of exceptional pets.

Happy gardening
75 plants will not fit into a large area effect spell. The limit is 69 plants per spell regardless of plot size. I'd be glad to show you how to get 69 large plots into a large spell radius, just tell me where and when to meet. You can fit a lot more than 3 levels into a single spell area by using things other than just crates. There are various heights of tables and also 3 different heights of statue bases. It's pretty simple when you make circles instead of the crate method of just doing 3x3 tic tac toe grids all a crate space apart, that only allows 27 per spell.

Survivor
Mar 03, 2012
Couch Potatoes are easier to farm than EMP but Evil Magma Peas have a different variety of mega snacks. Evil Magma Peas also reach elder one day faster than CP if all it's' likes are met. Not to mention they only require a medium plot. I would choose CP just because I got a farm already at my castle and I'm way too lazy to start another garden.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
seethe42 on Jul 22, 2014 wrote:
75 plants will not fit into a large area effect spell. The limit is 69 plants per spell regardless of plot size. I'd be glad to show you how to get 69 large plots into a large spell radius, just tell me where and when to meet. You can fit a lot more than 3 levels into a single spell area by using things other than just crates. There are various heights of tables and also 3 different heights of statue bases. It's pretty simple when you make circles instead of the crate method of just doing 3x3 tic tac toe grids all a crate space apart, that only allows 27 per spell.
Hey Seethe, I recently tried stacking my EMP's to get more into an AOE garden spell. But the spell only affects the ground level plants -- plants on the second level up have to be done individually by clicking on each plant. This is not what hoped for, and is not efficient.

How do you get AOE spells to affect multiple levels of plants -- i.e., the ones on the second story?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
FinnAgainWindrider on Aug 31, 2014 wrote:
Hey Seethe, I recently tried stacking my EMP's to get more into an AOE garden spell. But the spell only affects the ground level plants -- plants on the second level up have to be done individually by clicking on each plant. This is not what hoped for, and is not efficient.

How do you get AOE spells to affect multiple levels of plants -- i.e., the ones on the second story?
You need an item to aim at in the middle. I leave the central plot empty on the ground level. Then stick a medium pillar in that spot, or stack crates in that spot. This gives you an aiming spot that can be moved above the ground, so it will affect more plants. If you want to meet up some time I can show you my gardens and how it all works.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
By the way, KI moderators, shouldn't this thread be moved to the Gardening section? I know it was started before the division in the message boards, but it is about gardening, not crafting. Thanks!

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
seethe42 on Sep 1, 2014 wrote:
You need an item to aim at in the middle. I leave the central plot empty on the ground level. Then stick a medium pillar in that spot, or stack crates in that spot. This gives you an aiming spot that can be moved above the ground, so it will affect more plants. If you want to meet up some time I can show you my gardens and how it all works.
That would be great Seethe! What days and times are good for you? I am usually free in the evenings after 9pm Eastern, except on Thursdays. But it still helps to set it up, as my schedule can vary.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
FinnAgainWindrider on Sep 3, 2014 wrote:
That would be great Seethe! What days and times are good for you? I am usually free in the evenings after 9pm Eastern, except on Thursdays. But it still helps to set it up, as my schedule can vary.
How about Friday 10pm Eastern, outside Bazaar in Leprechaun realm. I'll be easy to spot, brightly dressed storm wizard with a ninja pig hat. It's for the energy.

Survivor
Aug 20, 2009
They are both great for mega snacks. I think the better one is evil magma peas due to they do not almost die as quickly as couch potatoes. Couch potatoes drop easier than magma peas but i thought it was worth it to buy mine with crowns. Also, If you want a great plant that drops megas try the white tiger lily. At elder they are guaranteed to drop a fancy yogurt. They also drop Amber which is really rare and great for crafting. They are hard to find in the bazaar but with patience you can get plenty. I plant 20 at a time. Hope this helps you.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
seethe42 on Sep 4, 2014 wrote:
How about Friday 10pm Eastern, outside Bazaar in Leprechaun realm. I'll be easy to spot, brightly dressed storm wizard with a ninja pig hat. It's for the energy.
great, I will be there. thanks. My wizard is a promethean Fire wiz by the name of Finnigan (no surprise there!).

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
seethe42 on Sep 4, 2014 wrote:
Hey I just wanted to say thanks once again. I have been able to get things started like you showed me, and it looks like it will be great.

I also found that the stairs from the castle block building sets, which I could find in the bazaar, gave a great height to get perspective on where to move the stacks to place the garden plots correctly.

You were a great help, and your gardens were amazing.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2014
I vote for EMP's,
goods:
1. they cover minimum amount of space you can plant 32 of EMP's in an area of one large area spell
2. They die slower
3. your house feels like a playground when their around
4. easily available likes items
5. faster journey to elder, 5 days to elder with all five likes on vs couch takes 6 or 7 days
6. if your a pvp person you get feint tc at every elder harvest
bads:
1. hardest to get vs couch potatoes
2. have three needs vs two in couch potatoes
3. catches pests quick and has no chance of getting pixie
4. if your not a pvp person the tc given are only good for sell
5. couch gives better tc mostly astral spells as drops in mature harvest
6. gets rank 2 pests vs rank 1 in couch potatoes

I grew EMP's together with couch potatoes but later i removed couch and just kept EMP's
currenly have 32 EMP's

Charles greenstone 80
Charles anvilstone 20
Charles darkstone 10

Hope this helped

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Charlesgreenstone on Sep 10, 2014 wrote:
I vote for EMP's,
goods:
1. they cover minimum amount of space you can plant 32 of EMP's in an area of one large area spell
2. They die slower
3. your house feels like a playground when their around
4. easily available likes items
5. faster journey to elder, 5 days to elder with all five likes on vs couch takes 6 or 7 days
6. if your a pvp person you get feint tc at every elder harvest
bads:
1. hardest to get vs couch potatoes
2. have three needs vs two in couch potatoes
3. catches pests quick and has no chance of getting pixie
4. if your not a pvp person the tc given are only good for sell
5. couch gives better tc mostly astral spells as drops in mature harvest
6. gets rank 2 pests vs rank 1 in couch potatoes

I grew EMP's together with couch potatoes but later i removed couch and just kept EMP's
currenly have 32 EMP's

Charles greenstone 80
Charles anvilstone 20
Charles darkstone 10

Hope this helped
They have 6 likes not 5 and take about 4 days to elder. You can plant the same maximum plants (69) for a large area spell for either, with creative plot placement.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2014
seethe42 on Sep 10, 2014 wrote:
They have 6 likes not 5 and take about 4 days to elder. You can plant the same maximum plants (69) for a large area spell for either, with creative plot placement.
Wow i didn't know that couch can be placed in the same number, thx for the info. but i know about the 6 likes. But i rarely get pixie into my garden and based on my experience i get my EMP's get to elder in five days with five likes and i think your right if you have 6 likes it might take shorter time.

And about the sixth like if you didn't mean pixie let me know which one you meant because i only have five likes excluding pixie they are:
1. egg basket
2. djmebe drum
3. gnome
4. boom shroom
5. barn house

Thanks for the info about the couch. i think i should restart my couch gardening again. But i still dont know how to adjust them in a large area spell to get their max.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Charlesgreenstone on Sep 11, 2014 wrote:
Wow i didn't know that couch can be placed in the same number, thx for the info. but i know about the 6 likes. But i rarely get pixie into my garden and based on my experience i get my EMP's get to elder in five days with five likes and i think your right if you have 6 likes it might take shorter time.

And about the sixth like if you didn't mean pixie let me know which one you meant because i only have five likes excluding pixie they are:
1. egg basket
2. djmebe drum
3. gnome
4. boom shroom
5. barn house

Thanks for the info about the couch. i think i should restart my couch gardening again. But i still dont know how to adjust them in a large area spell to get their max.
Cast summon pixie on one of the EMP as soon as it reaches young. It will stay until elder harvest and boost all the EMP in the radius. That same will work for CP, they usually get them on their own but I usually add one early at young to speed things along. If you want tips on how to fit more plants in the radius of a spell, just set up a time to meet and I'll show you.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2014
Wow thx i would really need tips but sadly i'm having exams next week so i would be occupied for 2 weeks can we meet up after that?
And a question the summon pixie stands for only 2 days right then how can it stay till elder?