Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Ultimate question: PvP above or below PvE?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
Hello everyone,

This section of the forum is all about PvP (Players versus Player) and in the 5 years that I have been playing this game there is one discussion that has never ended. The discussion that is part of nearly every post here in the PvP section. I am talking about the question: Is PvP more, equal to or less vital to Wizard101 then PvE (Player versus environment)? In other words should KI consider PvP balance while creating PvE spells and items? Or should it be the other way around?

I am asking you the wizards of wizard101 to answer this question. Give me your opinion to once and for all find out how the players think about the balance between PvP and PvE.

Including in your answer:

1) An a scale of one to ten PvP in Wizard101 is: A) Below PvE. B) Above PvE. C) Equal to PvE.
2) When creating new content for the game KI should: A) Keep PvP in the back of their heads and keep it balanced. B) Give some consideration to PvP to keep it balanced. C. Neglect the PvP balance entirely.
3) To you PvP is: A) more important then PvE. B) less important then PvE. C) equal in importance to PvE.
4) PvP should be: A) removed. B) rebalanced. C). kept the same. D) completely redone
5) Does question no. 5 leave little room for other options? A) Yes.

Feel free to add more comment to your post but make sure to answer the 5 questions above using A, B, C or D.

Thank you for reading and participating in this poll. Hopefully it will serve the community to finally tell KI and ourselves just how imporant PvP is to Wizard101.

With kind regards,

Noah Shadowweaver level 100 PvP Commander

Defender
Oct 10, 2010
I have watched this battle between PVE and PVP players rage on and on.
I have kept away from the discussion, as much as possible, as in my eyes,
the game is interlocked with PVP.
PVE and PVP cater to different likes, to some degree.
I would question how many would stay with the game, if there were no PVP or
Tournaments.

I have recently been bringing up my Storm in the new world. On a Sat or Sunday
afternoon, if I quick join, I am uable to find anyone to help.
I can stay in the que waiting for an hour or more, and not one person will show
up, at times. Really makes me wonder if people are just burning out on PVE.

If I jump over to the PVP section, I see hundreds of matches going on, in
practice and in ranked. I jump into the Tournaments, and they are packed
with spectators, as with PVP.

IMO, if PVP was dropped, I expect that KI would immediately lose a large
percentage of it's players. This would also include, fewer pets being
produced, fewer snacks being purchased, less crown equipment, far
less packs, etc, etc. It would clearly be a huge blow to the ROI and
profit for KI.

So, I see little option for KI, they need to keep PVP as a intergal part of the game.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Noah Shadowweaver on Jul 2, 2014 wrote:
Hello everyone,

This section of the forum is all about PvP (Players versus Player) and in the 5 years that I have been playing this game there is one discussion that has never ended. The discussion that is part of nearly every post here in the PvP section. I am talking about the question: Is PvP more, equal to or less vital to Wizard101 then PvE (Player versus environment)? In other words should KI consider PvP balance while creating PvE spells and items? Or should it be the other way around?

I am asking you the wizards of wizard101 to answer this question. Give me your opinion to once and for all find out how the players think about the balance between PvP and PvE.

Including in your answer:

1) An a scale of one to ten PvP in Wizard101 is: A) Below PvE. B) Above PvE. C) Equal to PvE.
2) When creating new content for the game KI should: A) Keep PvP in the back of their heads and keep it balanced. B) Give some consideration to PvP to keep it balanced. C. Neglect the PvP balance entirely.
3) To you PvP is: A) more important then PvE. B) less important then PvE. C) equal in importance to PvE.
4) PvP should be: A) removed. B) rebalanced. C). kept the same. D) completely redone
5) Does question no. 5 leave little room for other options? A) Yes.

Feel free to add more comment to your post but make sure to answer the 5 questions above using A, B, C or D.

Thank you for reading and participating in this poll. Hopefully it will serve the community to finally tell KI and ourselves just how imporant PvP is to Wizard101.

With kind regards,

Noah Shadowweaver level 100 PvP Commander
1. A (although I don't understand your 1-10 'scale' since you don't list if 1 is good or bad) PvE should always be more important than a side or optional area.
2. A
3. B I've played a handful of times. I don't like the attitude there at all. I play for FUN. PvP is not fun as it is.
4. D
5. huh?

Anyway, while PvP is a nice option in theory, but it's never worked correctly or been fair. And now there is an influx of people who constantly complain about spells, schools being over or under powered, etc., they want spells nerfed or changed for their benefit instead of figuring out how to win around the challenges. I no longer pay much attention to PvP posts.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
PvE is by far the most important aspect of the game. It is the reason that a vast majority of players come for. Even a vast majority of PvP players do PvE also. There has to be a balance with spells of course and when they feel there isn't they can always make a spell or card or item "No PvP" or "PvP Only" as they have done already.

1. This is a stupid question. They game doesn't exist without PvE period, therefore PvE is unfinitely higher in priority.
2. PvP is a part of the game, of course they have to take it into consideration.
3. Why are you repeating the same question?
4. E, None of the above, your pointless multiple choice "survey" doesn't allow any real answers to any of it's questions.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
In my personal opinion, I played Wizard101 because my friend told me about it in 2008 but that account is long gone now for my mistakes. The reason I first played this game, was obviously because of the storyline. I thought it was cool to have your own spells and be able to defeat the enemies, but questing was, well.. boring. NPC's didn't have voices at the time so I had no bother of reading the storyline, and to me it was just knocking down another computer enemy. I left the game a little later until Dragonspyre came out, and shortly after that I stepped into the Arena. My first match made me love PvP forever, I was a little less than level 20 fighting a Myth level 50 wizard with lots of wizards watching. To me, it was pretty cool. After a couple turns of me being a TC noob, I won the match and felt like the best player in the game. Now, after that, PvP and Wizard101 got a little boring, much less people started watching matches, and as much as I say PvP keeps me to playing this game, I have to admit that it's each update in PvE that contributes to PvP. If Wizard101 was still at level 50 with nothing new coming out for the storyline, I wouldn't be playing this game anymore.

Explorer
Jul 13, 2010
I would say PVP is super important to many players.
It give them challenge with real player n not some computer

PvE is also important cuz it help understand the time n background of the game

But i really just play the game cuz if PVP i like facing REAL player n winning n losing
No offense but people that say i dont like pvp r usually the one thar lose
N too lazy to figure out ways around the obstacle

N some time it be nuce if KI Make tge system more fair by giving us 3 choice
1. Lvl range
2. Skill range
3. Any

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Well, I think you are going to get a distorted response to this question, just by the fact that you posted it in the PVP forum, instead of in a general forum like Ravenwood commons. The people who come to this forum are obviously most likely interested in PVP to begin with.

In my opinion, PVP is a very small part of the game as a whole -- it is one small location within Unicorn Way, and one very specific kind of experience within a larger whole. The game as a whole consists of many worlds and storylines and varying experiences -- PVE, housing, socializing, questing. It is much more even than just "Player versus" anything -- it is not just a combat-driven gaming experience.

So, given the choice, I would put PVE above PVP; but I think even this choice itself is too small in its perspective, and misses the bigger picture of everything that goes into making Wizard101 a great game.

But in terms of: a) the numbers of players, b) the variety and depth of gaming experience, c) the relative size of world space and programming energy, d) the quality of character of the people you meet, e) overall enjoyability, delight, and interest -- in all these factors PVP does not even come close to being as valuable as the rest of the game.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
The game opened without PvP, indicating that PvP was not the most important aspect of the game when it originated. There would be no PvP without PvE. PvP would not ever evolve or progress without PvE. PvP is a tertiary aspect of the game at best. Crafting, questing, and pets are more popular hobbies in game for the widest array of players.

PvP was pretty fun until Celestia arrived, and along with the world came a new breed of PvP player. At that time the Arena became an unwelcoming place for casual gamers, as the hard core element took over. They've been trying to control the mechanics of the game ever since. Prior to Celestia, this argument about PvE versus PvP did not exist.

Iridian and Sisters of the Spiral Coven

Defender
Jun 22, 2011
You say that we don't like PVP because we're bad, which in some cases is completely and entirely false. I'm currently on a winning streak of 16 on my Storm, you have no right to just judge ANYONE. For all you know we're in the top 25 on the leaderboard.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
AlphaWolf02 on Jul 6, 2014 wrote:
You say that we don't like PVP because we're bad, which in some cases is completely and entirely false. I'm currently on a winning streak of 16 on my Storm, you have no right to just judge ANYONE. For all you know we're in the top 25 on the leaderboard.
Who are you addressing? Just who is "we"?

And if you had read the replies you will see that your leaderboard has nothing to do with the game itself; a game that existed just fine without PvP for a long time.

Explorer
Jul 13, 2010
Lolz, so your saying you are in top 25 on leaderboard n you dont like pvp hmm?

That like saying i dont like ice cream while eating 3 of them at same time.

Anyway, YES pvp evolve from PVE and you say people are more interested in craft, pet, gear

But i would say many of the crafter n farmer for gear n hatcher r usually end up using in pvp, many craft, farm gear, hatch to have advantage over other n many do it for the purpose of pvp.

The point is, pvp came after pve but to millions of player, pvp is the number 1 most important part of the game, and many of them r the HUGE supporter of kingsisle company cuz hey spend bunch of crown on gear n plant n other stuff to have the best gear for pvp. N tourney.
For example

ALIA WILDRIDER
THE #1 in tourney leaderboard spent minimum of 400,000 crown on just tourney.
But i am guessing is around 500,000 altogether.