Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What Age To Stop Training Pets?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for advice from experienced pet hatchers.
I have recently trained my 4th gen Deep Leviathan (hatched with a Sea Dragon) up to Epic but he didn't manifest Spritely which is the talent I was really after.
I was very pleased I managed to hatch out Deep Leviathan's selfish talents but I really would like one of my pets to develop a healing talent.
Currently I have a 2nd (or maybe 3rd) gen Betta Fish which was hatched with my Sea Dragon. This pet the possibility of manifesting healing current and I'm hoping he will manifest Spritely.
My question is, when should I stop training my pets?
I know talents can manifest themselves at any age but rather than wasting time and gold on snacks and training, when is considered a "good" age to stop training and try another hatch?
Any help and advice especially some of your own experiences would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Michael Stormhammer Exhalted

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Enlightened One on May 28, 2014 wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for advice from experienced pet hatchers.
I have recently trained my 4th gen Deep Leviathan (hatched with a Sea Dragon) up to Epic but he didn't manifest Spritely which is the talent I was really after.
I was very pleased I managed to hatch out Deep Leviathan's selfish talents but I really would like one of my pets to develop a healing talent.
Currently I have a 2nd (or maybe 3rd) gen Betta Fish which was hatched with my Sea Dragon. This pet the possibility of manifesting healing current and I'm hoping he will manifest Spritely.
My question is, when should I stop training my pets?
I know talents can manifest themselves at any age but rather than wasting time and gold on snacks and training, when is considered a "good" age to stop training and try another hatch?
Any help and advice especially some of your own experiences would be really appreciated.
Thanks
If by adult you don't get the talent stop there, you want rehatch the originals that you know have the talent again. Once it's gets the talent rehatch that pet back to the pet that has other talents you want.

Here is a guide I used and this site is loaded with other pet training info.

http://www.duelist101.com/community/thepetguide/developing-pet-step-step/

Mary

Explorer
Aug 06, 2008
Well it'd be important to know what talents your pet has developed so far. I generally stop training my pets if they manifest a "fail" talent or a talent I don't like, no matter what age they are. For example, if I am looking for a double resist, fairy, fire proof and storm proof and my pet learns "may cast fairy" at teen, then "may cast storm blade" at adult. I would stop training him at adult. So I guess I would say if your pet has any talents at all that aren't what you want, stop training him. If you have one fail talent already, don't hold out for sprite.
-Adam Seafist
-Adam Dawnstalker

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Northlite on May 28, 2014 wrote:
If by adult you don't get the talent stop there, you want rehatch the originals that you know have the talent again. Once it's gets the talent rehatch that pet back to the pet that has other talents you want.

Here is a guide I used and this site is loaded with other pet training info.

http://www.duelist101.com/community/thepetguide/developing-pet-step-step/

Mary
Thanks Northlite,
I actually used this guide to begin my pet hatching experiments, althought there are many excellent guides out there I found this one to be clear and concise and very easy to understand
(still trying for a healing talent )

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Enlightened One on May 29, 2014 wrote:
Thanks Northlite,
I actually used this guide to begin my pet hatching experiments, althought there are many excellent guides out there I found this one to be clear and concise and very easy to understand
(still trying for a healing talent )
If you ever want to try an out side hatch I have many pets with Spritely. If you looking to stay with in storm school I have several frankinbunnies that have manifested assorted things like, spell proof, unicorn, fairy friend, some storm talents and spritely. I can raffle though the herd for the best picks. I also have Enchanted Armaments that have Unicorn, Fairy Friend and Spell Proof pretty regular for the first 3 levels of training - I do these for the Sharpen Blades given. I brought Spell Proof in using the Starfish sold in Celestia which also manifests Spritely now and then.

Ideally you want to start with pets that have the talents you want, once they manifest said talents then use them to hatch into the pet you want. I am horrible at keeping track of who is who but have a rough idea of parentage etc.. My goal was to get the talents I wanted in the first 3 levels of training, I get very poor results at Epic but will work on that.

Mary

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Northlite on May 29, 2014 wrote:
If you ever want to try an out side hatch I have many pets with Spritely. If you looking to stay with in storm school I have several frankinbunnies that have manifested assorted things like, spell proof, unicorn, fairy friend, some storm talents and spritely. I can raffle though the herd for the best picks. I also have Enchanted Armaments that have Unicorn, Fairy Friend and Spell Proof pretty regular for the first 3 levels of training - I do these for the Sharpen Blades given. I brought Spell Proof in using the Starfish sold in Celestia which also manifests Spritely now and then.

Ideally you want to start with pets that have the talents you want, once they manifest said talents then use them to hatch into the pet you want. I am horrible at keeping track of who is who but have a rough idea of parentage etc.. My goal was to get the talents I wanted in the first 3 levels of training, I get very poor results at Epic but will work on that.

Mary
Hi Mary
Thank you for your very kind hatching offer, it sounds like you have some very talented pets.
I certainly don't have any problem hatching outside of my school as long as the pets had some universal talents like spell proof etc.
I live in Australia so the time difference may be a big problem in meeting up for a hatch but if I ever get the chance I would love to see some of your favourite pets.
BTW I'm just curious as to wether some wizards change the pets they use in different battles like we all change gear, wands etc.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Enlightened One on May 30, 2014 wrote:
Hi Mary
Thank you for your very kind hatching offer, it sounds like you have some very talented pets.
I certainly don't have any problem hatching outside of my school as long as the pets had some universal talents like spell proof etc.
I live in Australia so the time difference may be a big problem in meeting up for a hatch but if I ever get the chance I would love to see some of your favourite pets.
BTW I'm just curious as to wether some wizards change the pets they use in different battles like we all change gear, wands etc.
I believe they do change pets, I do. I use the Frankinbunny while helping others and my Enchanted Armors when fighting alone. I don't need the extra healing while alone and the Enchanted provides me with stackable Sharpen Blades when there is less helping.

I too hatch for universal talents as I pass these pets onto my other wizards. My schedule is a bit hectic over the next week but will check in to the time difference. I believe when I am night you are morning? I have met someone playing from there and they said "good morning" to me when it was nigh for me, lol. If you play mostly nights I could sign on in the A.M. here.

Mary

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Enlightened One on May 30, 2014 wrote:
Hi Mary
For sure! Pets are like an extension of your deck and gear, so it makes sense to change them based on need just as with gear. I have some with more defensive talents, some with damage boosts, and some with extra buffs depending on what position I am playing in a fight.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
I stop at adult if I know i want to hatch again. But if it looks good I train until i get something i don't want.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Northlite on May 29, 2014 wrote:

Mary
Hi Mary
I've just purchased Fennec Fox in the Crown Shop for my lvl 70 pyromancer. According to my research this pet has some great talents as well as cards and like always I would like to develop a healing talent for this pet.
Currently I have two Dragons, one a Frontier Dragon and I can't recall what the other one is but he's blue and red, both of these dragons have the Spritely talent.
Now before I get all excited about hatching a new Fennec with a possible healing talent wanted to ask you and the other pet breeders wether the dragon(s) would be a good hatching parent?
Oh and with the time difference, the most accurate time scale I can give you is when KI go offline for maintenance it is 6pm here and 101 is back online at 9pm my time (Australian Eastern Standard Time).
I hope this helps and thanks for all your feedback (and everyone else too)

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Dakota Death on May 30, 2014 wrote:
I stop at adult if I know i want to hatch again. But if it looks good I train until i get something i don't want.
Thanks Dakota
BTW, I'm just curious, if you hatch with a pet that has more than one healing talent, say spritely, MC Unicorn, MC Fairy etc, do you increase your chances of the offspring having a healing talent. Would anyone know the rough percentage chances of getting a heal?
Mary and anyone else, if sny of you have a pet with two or more healing talents I'd be more than happy to hatch eith my Deep Leviathan, Fennec Fox, Penumbra Dragon or Betta Fish with you as these are the pets I would most like to gain a healing talent.
Thanks fellow Wizards

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Enlightened One on Jun 1, 2014 wrote:
Thanks Dakota
BTW, I'm just curious, if you hatch with a pet that has more than one healing talent, say spritely, MC Unicorn, MC Fairy etc, do you increase your chances of the offspring having a healing talent. Would anyone know the rough percentage chances of getting a heal?
Mary and anyone else, if sny of you have a pet with two or more healing talents I'd be more than happy to hatch eith my Deep Leviathan, Fennec Fox, Penumbra Dragon or Betta Fish with you as these are the pets I would most like to gain a healing talent.
Thanks fellow Wizards
Usually when you hatch the baby gets a mix of talents from both parents. So if a parent has several heals there is a good chance at least one will go to the baby. If you trained that baby and got one heal, you could hatch again with a multi healing pet and perhaps get more heals on the next one.

Like real pets, the fancy pets you see in wizard are usually from a lot of selective breeding. Unlike real pets, there is no risk to inbreeding, so once you make one "perfect" or find someone who has one and will hatch, you can copy those talents to your other pets.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Enlightened One on Jun 1, 2014 wrote:
Thanks Dakota
Thanks fellow Wizards
The last 2 hatches I have done with my Enchanted Armor pets net, Spell Proof, Unicorn and Fairy Friend in that order. I have hatched out many to try to remove selfish/useless talents.

Their back ground is mixed, my original healing talents manifest in Frankinbunny then Armors were MC Sprite, Healing Current, Fairy Friend, Unicorn. I am not seeing Myth Trap and Fire Shield any more so may have that hatched out.

My FrankinBunnies are not as reliable, they are getting MC Sprite and Unicorn with Spell Proof. Original bunny did have MC Healing Current but that isn't showing up much going forward.

I do not know percentages because I mainly work on 50% - I feel I have a 50% chance of a talent coming though if it's manifested on the parents, lol. Since I never thought anything would come of this I was very casual about the beginning so proper records have not been kept by all means.

I have hatched with many - I usually do not train these hatches because it's to unreliable to know the talents of other pets. I now do print screen when I hatch to have a general idea of what their pet had - most are only to adult and no talents to train for. I stand in the hatchery with my best bunny or armor on and hatch random with anyone who asks. Serious pet people may pass me by but those who have lesser pets ask me.

As far as I can figure time zone wise - my morning is your evening with the up to 10 hrs difference, what time of day do you usually play? I am no longer questing on my Ice wizard who manages all the pets so will be depleting her gold hatching. I have tons of things to sell so hatching could go on for a while. Since I probably will no longer quest past the end of Avalon with any of my newer wizards, I am not seeking to add any talents at this time. In other words I am not choosy on what the other pet is and actually never was. I had several wizards that wanted a Frankinbunny and have managed to hatch enough with them to get them one. I am currently working with someone for the Armor pet but 4 hatches later they still don't have one but they were quite pleased with the talents they got in their pet from the hatch so I may be done there.

Mary

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Northlite on Jun 2, 2014 wrote:
The last 2 hatches I have done with my Enchanted Armor pets net, Spell Proof, Unicorn and Fairy Friend in that order. I have hatched out many to try to remove selfish/useless talents.

Their back ground is mixed, my original healing talents manifest in Frankinbunny then Armors were MC Sprite, Healing Current, Fairy Friend, Unicorn. I am not seeing Myth Trap and Fire Shield any more so may have that hatched out.

My FrankinBunnies are not as reliable, they are getting MC Sprite and Unicorn with Spell Proof. Original bunny did have MC Healing Current but that isn't showing up much going forward.

I do not know percentages because I mainly work on 50% - I feel I have a 50% chance of a talent coming though if it's manifested on the parents, lol. Since I never thought anything would come of this I was very casual about the beginning so proper records have not been kept by all means.

I have hatched with many - I usually do not train these hatches because it's to unreliable to know the talents of other pets. I now do print screen when I hatch to have a general idea of what their pet had - most are only to adult and no talents to train for. I stand in the hatchery with my best bunny or armor on and hatch random with anyone who asks. Serious pet people may pass me by but those who have lesser pets ask me.

As far as I can figure time zone wise - my morning is your evening with the up to 10 hrs difference, what time of day do you usually play? I am no longer questing on my Ice wizard who manages all the pets so will be depleting her gold hatching. I have tons of things to sell so hatching could go on for a while. Since I probably will no longer quest past the end of Avalon with any of my newer wizards, I am not seeking to add any talents at this time. In other words I am not choosy on what the other pet is and actually never was. I had several wizards that wanted a Frankinbunny and have managed to hatch enough with them to get them one. I am currently working with someone for the Armor pet but 4 hatches later they still don't have one but they were quite pleased with the talents they got in their pet from the hatch so I may be done there.

Mary
Hi Mary
Your pets sound like ones I would definitely like hatching with, if I could get a next gen with one or more healing talents I could use it as the basis for hatches with my other wizard's pets (providing of course they develop a heal lol.)
I could meet you outside Dr Purreau's lab in Ambrose realm (or if that is too crowded, Banshee)
Look for Michael Stormhammer and friend me, even if you don't have time for a hatch at least we will be online friends and can msg each other.
Looking forward to a hatch meeting
Cheers

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Enlightened One on Jun 3, 2014 wrote:
Hi Mary
Your pets sound like ones I would definitely like hatching with, if I could get a next gen with one or more healing talents I could use it as the basis for hatches with my other wizard's pets (providing of course they develop a heal lol.)
I could meet you outside Dr Purreau's lab in Ambrose realm (or if that is too crowded, Banshee)
Look for Michael Stormhammer and friend me, even if you don't have time for a hatch at least we will be online friends and can msg each other.
Looking forward to a hatch meeting
Cheers
Posts here are on delay so we need to set a time and allow for posting here.

Scarecrow is the best realm as it is usually never crowded or full. If I sign on in A.M. here it will be your P.M. I believe. So if I sign on at 8 - 8:30 on Friday and meet you by the lamp post outside the hatchery it will be 8 P.M. for you?

Mary

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
Good question. Me? I stop somewhere between adult and ancient on most of mine. I've got a couple I've gone to epic. There's one that I finally got a unicorn on that I'm hoping [in vain probably] will manifest may cast dragon blade at mega. After discovering one of the recent patches made going from epic to mega 10 energy points per run...I'm debating whether to bother. I probably won't since it took til ancient to get the unicorn on that one in the first place. That being said. Michael I've got a suggestion for you. if you haven't done so already? Get into gardening for mega snacks in a decent way. I'd recommend expending real money for crowns and expending those crowns on Evil Magma Peas. They give nothing but level 8 and 9 mega snacks. Plus when they elder they drop more seeds of themselves so once you do that initial expense output for the seeds. You never have to put out the crowns for seeds again. I've got a field of about 20 of them about to elder. probably tonight or tomorrow. Plus a harvest of Alligator pear trees. The pear trees, if you have 5 of them, tend to give 1 level 7 fried worm snack and the rest give out either level 6 snacks and/or attack cards, per harvest. Also if your wizard has gotten as far as zafaria and mirror lake, it's a good one to farm for level 8 snacks, and gear to sell for gold.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Northlite on Jun 4, 2014 wrote:
Posts here are on delay so we need to set a time and allow for posting here.

Scarecrow is the best realm as it is usually never crowded or full. If I sign on in A.M. here it will be your P.M. I believe. So if I sign on at 8 - 8:30 on Friday and meet you by the lamp post outside the hatchery it will be 8 P.M. for you?

Mary
np Mary, Scarecrow realm it is yes you are correct about the time.
I'm looking forward to meeting you and your pets
Michael

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
TheCurlyWolf on Jun 4, 2014 wrote:
Good question. Me? I stop somewhere between adult and ancient on most of mine. I've got a couple I've gone to epic. There's one that I finally got a unicorn on that I'm hoping [in vain probably] will manifest may cast dragon blade at mega. After discovering one of the recent patches made going from epic to mega 10 energy points per run...I'm debating whether to bother. I probably won't since it took til ancient to get the unicorn on that one in the first place. That being said. Michael I've got a suggestion for you. if you haven't done so already? Get into gardening for mega snacks in a decent way. I'd recommend expending real money for crowns and expending those crowns on Evil Magma Peas. They give nothing but level 8 and 9 mega snacks. Plus when they elder they drop more seeds of themselves so once you do that initial expense output for the seeds. You never have to put out the crowns for seeds again. I've got a field of about 20 of them about to elder. probably tonight or tomorrow. Plus a harvest of Alligator pear trees. The pear trees, if you have 5 of them, tend to give 1 level 7 fried worm snack and the rest give out either level 6 snacks and/or attack cards, per harvest. Also if your wizard has gotten as far as zafaria and mirror lake, it's a good one to farm for level 8 snacks, and gear to sell for gold.
Hi
Thank you for the advice.
Although I'm a lvl 10 gardener I've never gotten into it in a big way but your recommendation of Evil Magma Peas is certainly a good idea.
I do have a few aligator pear trees in my bank so I will plant those to gain high ranking snacks.
It had been so long since I'd done any farming that I'd forgotten the best worlds and now that I have finished Kyrsallis I will certainly go back to mirror lake to obtain some snacks and gear for a gold sale.
Thanks for your help TheCurlyWolf, I'd used up all the mega snacks I'd accumulated and was only relying on the occasional storm one from Morganthe for a top up
Michael

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
Enlightened One on Jun 5, 2014 wrote:
Hi
Thank you for the advice.
Although I'm a lvl 10 gardener I've never gotten into it in a big way but your recommendation of Evil Magma Peas is certainly a good idea.
I do have a few aligator pear trees in my bank so I will plant those to gain high ranking snacks.
It had been so long since I'd done any farming that I'd forgotten the best worlds and now that I have finished Kyrsallis I will certainly go back to mirror lake to obtain some snacks and gear for a gold sale.
Thanks for your help TheCurlyWolf, I'd used up all the mega snacks I'd accumulated and was only relying on the occasional storm one from Morganthe for a top up
Michael
oh another note on cultivating the magma peas? they don't give out the mega snacks until they elder. inbetween they give reagents and treasure cards. tower shield, along with poison and iirc polymorph ninja pig. Farming Mirror Lake? you get two level 8 pixie stix mega snacks after the final fight with those blasted storm spiders.
Congrats on finishing Khrysalis btw.

Connor. lvl 89

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Enlightened One on Jun 5, 2014 wrote:
np Mary, Scarecrow realm it is yes you are correct about the time.
I'm looking forward to meeting you and your pets
Michael
I seem to have missed you, maybe off on the time?

As for gardening I have a separate wizard for that on the red barn farm. Pets and training becomes a thing.

I garden Prickly Bears, Evil Magna and my main crop is Couch Potatoes. I started with seeds I won on all my wizards and shared banked them to my Balance. Now I have more seeds then I know what to do with.

Couch Potatoes give one lvl 9 at elder and usually another seed. Prickly Bears give lower level snacks for training to adult. Energy for gardening and pet training needs to be spread across wizards.

Pixie Stixs give around 35 ex, lvl 9 50 ex so there is a difference in training.

Mary

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Northlite on Jun 6, 2014 wrote:
I seem to have missed you, maybe off on the time?

As for gardening I have a separate wizard for that on the red barn farm. Pets and training becomes a thing.

I garden Prickly Bears, Evil Magna and my main crop is Couch Potatoes. I started with seeds I won on all my wizards and shared banked them to my Balance. Now I have more seeds then I know what to do with.

Couch Potatoes give one lvl 9 at elder and usually another seed. Prickly Bears give lower level snacks for training to adult. Energy for gardening and pet training needs to be spread across wizards.

Pixie Stixs give around 35 ex, lvl 9 50 ex so there is a difference in training.

Mary
Hi Mary,
I "parked" my wizard in Scarecrow realm and kept checking from 8pm but the pavillion was completely deserted so yes we may have missed each other due to the time difference not being exactly aligned. I will leave my wizard in Scarecrow and try and catch up with you again on Friday coming unless you have some other weeekdays free for a hatching.
ATM I have found a baby Frankenbunny in my shared bank and I'm very tempted to train him to see if he gets MC Healing Current but the way my luck has been I'm loathe to waste the snacks and time.
At the time of writing I have been disappointed yet again, I trained a ghost dragon up to ancient and still no spritely, then I trained a jellyfish up to adult, still no heal.
It seems like every pet from every school is doomed to failure (sorry if I'm sounding a bit negative, just very annoyed and frustrated atm lol)
Thank you for the snack info too
Michael