Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Chance, or secret benefit to using warlord gear?

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
When I have tried to earn ticket gear with new characters (between Level 20-33), opponents with full commander gear are always the hardest. Not surprising. If you are wondering, my win:loss ratio is a steady 5 wins to 1 loss right now, and I have no ticket gear yet.

Like so many other posters in here, sometimes I lose and I don't believe I should. My problem is not ticket players' resistance--I can add a few buffs and cast infallible, it's not a problem. My problem isn't that they have more experience than I do--I think out several moves ahead and prevent their planned attacks before they can execute them. My problem is not my deck setup--I have a card for every kind of opponent, whether DoT user or bubble warrior or shield spammer. For lack of a better explanation, I wonder whether the problem is hidden in the game mechanics in ways that we cannot see from stats alone.

There are certain unfortunate events (from my perspective) that seem to happen suspiciously often against ticket gear opponents.
  • when I cannot locate life-saving cards or treasure cards, such as weakness, shields, pixie, or satyr
  • their pet repeatedly activates healing talents and erases all the damage I have done
  • they have absurd power pips in spite of their relatively low power pip percentages
  • meanwhile, I receive very few power pips and have about the same or better percentage than they do
  • it seems like I often go second

So could it be that there are hidden game parameters that confer advantages to ticket players who on average pay a lot more for the game? (It would make a good conspiracy theory, right?)

Or is all this just a chance occurrence?

I actually could conduct an empirical study on this but I would need to recruit a lot of people to PvP with and without their warlord gear and record the incidence of these events and compare it to chance rate... and that'd be a lot of work, and I wouldn't get paid a dime for it. So, I'm asking here. Although we're going to be speculative, has anyone else observed anything fishy?

Defender
Nov 21, 2013
While I like the way you think, I believe you're just trying to rationalize your losses against (presumably) Commanders and Warlords. You're looking for somethin' that isn't there. If, however, there was some concrete mechanic that worked in said Wizards' favor, I'm confident it would have become blatantly obvious to the community years ago. This game has been around for a while, you know.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Lucas Rain on May 8, 2014 wrote:
When I have tried to earn ticket gear with new characters (between Level 20-33), opponents with full commander gear are always the hardest. Not surprising. If you are wondering, my win:loss ratio is a steady 5 wins to 1 loss right now, and I have no ticket gear yet.

Like so many other posters in here, sometimes I lose and I don't believe I should. My problem is not ticket players' resistance--I can add a few buffs and cast infallible, it's not a problem. My problem isn't that they have more experience than I do--I think out several moves ahead and prevent their planned attacks before they can execute them. My problem is not my deck setup--I have a card for every kind of opponent, whether DoT user or bubble warrior or shield spammer. For lack of a better explanation, I wonder whether the problem is hidden in the game mechanics in ways that we cannot see from stats alone.

There are certain unfortunate events (from my perspective) that seem to happen suspiciously often against ticket gear opponents.
  • when I cannot locate life-saving cards or treasure cards, such as weakness, shields, pixie, or satyr
  • their pet repeatedly activates healing talents and erases all the damage I have done
  • they have absurd power pips in spite of their relatively low power pip percentages
  • meanwhile, I receive very few power pips and have about the same or better percentage than they do
  • it seems like I often go second

So could it be that there are hidden game parameters that confer advantages to ticket players who on average pay a lot more for the game? (It would make a good conspiracy theory, right?)

Or is all this just a chance occurrence?

I actually could conduct an empirical study on this but I would need to recruit a lot of people to PvP with and without their warlord gear and record the incidence of these events and compare it to chance rate... and that'd be a lot of work, and I wouldn't get paid a dime for it. So, I'm asking here. Although we're going to be speculative, has anyone else observed anything fishy?
Well, my pet heals about once in 40 matches, and I have often lost matches because of pet heals. Just yesterday, a player's pet healed 4 times in a row after I had him down to under 100 health..My spells often seem to fizzle more than they should, as well. Other than that, though, I haven't found many suspicious occurrences in the game.