Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

bosses have way too many pips

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 10, 2011
i know about the whole "greater level, greater challenge" deal. but it is getting outrageous when bosses have a full set of power pips, while you are stuck with only two power pips. either allow wands to give more power pips as you level up, or only allow bosses to have a maximum of say 4-5 power pips to start with. i am working in Avalon right now, and the bosses in deepwater are impossible to solo. whenever i start the battle, i go second, and by the time i make my first move, the boss has managed to get me down to below half my health. Please do some of us a favor and give bosses a lower amount of powerpips Kingsisle

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Daniel Deathward on Jan 28, 2014 wrote:
i know about the whole "greater level, greater challenge" deal. but it is getting outrageous when bosses have a full set of power pips, while you are stuck with only two power pips. either allow wands to give more power pips as you level up, or only allow bosses to have a maximum of say 4-5 power pips to start with. i am working in Avalon right now, and the bosses in deepwater are impossible to solo. whenever i start the battle, i go second, and by the time i make my first move, the boss has managed to get me down to below half my health. Please do some of us a favor and give bosses a lower amount of powerpips Kingsisle
They already lowered them, they aren't going to lower it more. As for always going second, maybe you should rethink the way you start battles. I almost always go first in boss fights. It has a lot to do with where you walk. Avalon is really a very solo-able world. Aside from Jabberwock and the Keep of Ganelon, there really aren't any bosses that need teams. Even those two are possible solo if you know what you're doing. Jabberwock is just a matter of being able to count to three.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Seethe42, I like and respect you. But I disagree with one major point in this post.

Battle positioning is entirely random. Dancing, clapping, walking a certain way, etc., will not make you go first(lots of rumours in pvp about this exact same thing). There are so many similar stories circling around: a few of the more-popular ones are that picking up reagents in waterworks will cause you to not get your gear, that balance wizards can control spectral blast, or that dancing before a match/approaching your enemies from the front will make you go first. None of them have been proven and are entirely unfounded.

PS: perhaps it's the OP's first time through, and he doesn't have a go-to method down yet.

-

To the op: Avalon can be soloed, save for a handful of dungeons. I've done it on 3 promethean wizards, prior to the nerf, including a diviner with terrible defense, and I am not a pro at all.

If it makes you feel better, my storm wizard soloed Avalon and storm has the worst defensive stats of any school out there. If she can manage, then so can you. :)

RE: pips. Yes, bosses have more pips, but they don't have your damage boost. if you're like most people and struggle with myth and ice bosses (since they like to chain-stun us to death) my advice is to visit Diego in unicorn way and train stun block (free to ice wizards, 1 training point for everyone else). If you find you're getting chain-stunned to the point of defeat, this will solve half the problem right there.

The other half is your gear/deck setup. If you can let us know what school you are and what your other stats are like, we'll be able to help you further.

Good luck, and hope this helps!

-von
promethean something or other x3

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Daniel Deathward on Jan 28, 2014 wrote:
When you enter a battle and you are second press Esc - exit the game and re-enter it, it will put you outside the instance to try again to be first. I never really used this till I tried to repeatedly beat the 3 monsters for the Sharpened Blade Potent Trap spells. I used to just flee.

I dread Deepwater and have abandoned a few wizards at the Lake to avoid it. It means one dungeon after another from then on to get out of that world, only to be dropped in another world I don't really enjoy. I truly find certain schools have a better time at it then others and it also goes by how well you play your chosen school.

People who have "figured" out the game aren't going to see a problem with the upper worlds, to them it's the challenge they play a game for. Those of us who haven't nailed it, are with out the best gear or pets fall to the way side, to us it becomes long, boring and stressful at times - who needs that in a game? Not having access to others that could help is also an issue, there are a lot of solo players out there. Even in crowded realms upper worlds are vacant. Many times I have met someone waiting for a passer by to complete something with. It's a game stopper.

I have played this world after the nerf and really don't find it to be that much of a difference accept for the minions start out with less pips but the bosses don't - granted they don't fire off their bigger spells right off the bat but if you don't defeat them quickly they do, so now it just takes you longer to get defeated.

In the end the more who quest and complete these worlds the more they will be considered acceptable. I am currently at an draw - I have 3 wizards who have completed Avalon and 3 that probably will not.

Mary

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Dr Von on Jan 30, 2014 wrote:
Seethe42, I like and respect you. But I disagree with one major point in this post.

Battle positioning is entirely random. Dancing, clapping, walking a certain way, etc., will not make you go first(lots of rumours in pvp about this exact same thing). There are so many similar stories circling around: a few of the more-popular ones are that picking up reagents in waterworks will cause you to not get your gear, that balance wizards can control spectral blast, or that dancing before a match/approaching your enemies from the front will make you go first. None of them have been proven and are entirely unfounded.

PS: perhaps it's the OP's first time through, and he doesn't have a go-to method down yet.

-

To the op: Avalon can be soloed, save for a handful of dungeons. I've done it on 3 promethean wizards, prior to the nerf, including a diviner with terrible defense, and I am not a pro at all.

If it makes you feel better, my storm wizard soloed Avalon and storm has the worst defensive stats of any school out there. If she can manage, then so can you. :)

RE: pips. Yes, bosses have more pips, but they don't have your damage boost. if you're like most people and struggle with myth and ice bosses (since they like to chain-stun us to death) my advice is to visit Diego in unicorn way and train stun block (free to ice wizards, 1 training point for everyone else). If you find you're getting chain-stunned to the point of defeat, this will solve half the problem right there.

The other half is your gear/deck setup. If you can let us know what school you are and what your other stats are like, we'll be able to help you further.

Good luck, and hope this helps!

-von
promethean something or other x3
I have met many doubters like you, but they all see the light when shown. You CAN affect who goes first in all PVE battles that don't start automatically. It's usually touching the boss first or being on the first spot when starting the battle. When you are alone and on your spot before all the enemy, you go first more than 90% of time. Maybe you just haven't noticed it when going solo as much as I have. It's very obvious on mob fights. Starting the battle while already standing on the sun spot lets you go first.

Defender
Jul 03, 2012
Get used to it, in Khrysalis, they start out with almost full pips and have all the spells available. Just get better gear and fight....