Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm&Fire vs. Ice: ...Seriously?

AuthorMessage
Historian
May 06, 2009
I'm annoyed with the Elemental Triad. At least from what I'm hearing from the PvP ring, Ice is not fairing to well against Fire and Storm with the new Shadow Shrike spell. So here's my understanding...

First, PvP saw the introduction of Jade Gear from the Keeper's Lore Pack which gave most players over 50-60% Resist. Coupled with Shields, Fortify and the new "Turtle" technique, matches went on for a horribly long amount of time, and well powered attacks were well blocked.

When Azteca crafted gear came out, Ice got a huge boost in resist toward Storm and Fire. Storm and Fire cried against Ice because their spells could be well resisted and barely deal anything while other schools could make it past a 40% resist base.

Then came Aquila, and yet again Ice's gear presented more resistance against Fire and Storm, much to their dismay. On the other hand, Fire and Storm received more Critical ratings and Pierce.

Now with Khrysalis, and the beginning of Shadow Magic, Ice is having a meltdown against Fire and Storm. Shadow Magic brought about the Shadow Seraph, Shadow Sentinel, and Shadow Shrike spells. Now, if you read Professor Falmea's Producer's Letter, KI has stated that Shadow Magic is their attempt to make battles more fast-paced, and it would seem Ice can't take the change.

Ice's defenses have since then been nearly extinguished and are now calling forth rebalancing because of Shadow Shrike's +50% Pierce boost.

I'm upset with the Elemental Schools each getting an advantage of way too much power over the years. Before the Keeper's Lore pack, Fire, Ice, and Storm where pretty much balanced with each other. When Jade Gear, Azteca, and Aquila came in, Ice gets these huge resist boosts, and with that major power up came greed, in my opinion. They didn't show much care toward the other schools from the comments I read. Now, Fire and Storm have this power that helps them, but Ice doesn't want to give up their power. Fire and Storm definitely don't want Shadow Shrike nerfed either.

So I think that if it was Shadow Magic that imbalanced the Triad, it should be Shadow Magic that fixes it. Storm and Fire get Shrike free, and Ice get's Sentinel free. Shrike is a major outlier compared to Seraph and Sentinel, where it gives another 10% Pierce if you attack. You can get +60% Pierce if you play your cards right. The other two don't care such a power.

I think Sentinel's (and later Seraph) -10% Resist should be increased to maybe 20-30% so that even if Tower Shield get's pierced right through, Ice would still have a small coushon to fall on. Also, I think Sentinel should have a hidden effect, where if you cast a shield, you gain a Stun Block to all allies. Seraph's Absorb should be increased, and should also give a +10% Heal boost if you heal. That way, each of the spells are of equal power.

I also think Shrike should have a slightly bigger penalty. Leave the spell alone, but maybe give a Resist deduction instead of a healing one. It makes the spell more risky.

Survivor
May 26, 2012
I do not know anything about shadow magic, but after reading this I have learned a little bit. In my opinion I think -if this is what is happening- they should take away some resistance from the armour, and take away shadow magic.

Lauren Iceshard lvl 47

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Ice has more than double the life of storm and most fire, Shrike is cancelled by a simple tower shield, leaving them with their still unusually high natural resist. There's nothing wrong with it. Even with Shrike, one tower shield in place along with fire and storm immunity for Ice makes little difference. Ice still has MORE than an even playing field. Ice still has the advantage. Shrike only negates a tower, it doesn't negate natural or the multiple storm and fire shields available.

Explorer
Jun 26, 2012
Being the owner of a Storm, Fire, and Ice wizard I 100% agree with this. Shadow Shrike is way OP compared to the other shadow spells.

Sean Firesword 95
Sean Stormsword 90
Sean Icesword 51

Explorer
Dec 18, 2009
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jan 24, 2014 wrote:
I'm annoyed with the Elemental Triad. At least from what I'm hearing from the PvP ring, Ice is not fairing to well against Fire and Storm with the new Shadow Shrike spell. So here's my understanding...

First, PvP saw the introduction of Jade Gear from the Keeper's Lore Pack which gave most players over 50-60% Resist. Coupled with Shields, Fortify and the new "Turtle" technique, matches went on for a horribly long amount of time, and well powered attacks were well blocked.

When Azteca crafted gear came out, Ice got a huge boost in resist toward Storm and Fire. Storm and Fire cried against Ice because their spells could be well resisted and barely deal anything while other schools could make it past a 40% resist base.

Then came Aquila, and yet again Ice's gear presented more resistance against Fire and Storm, much to their dismay. On the other hand, Fire and Storm received more Critical ratings and Pierce.

Now with Khrysalis, and the beginning of Shadow Magic, Ice is having a meltdown against Fire and Storm. Shadow Magic brought about the Shadow Seraph, Shadow Sentinel, and Shadow Shrike spells. Now, if you read Professor Falmea's Producer's Letter, KI has stated that Shadow Magic is their attempt to make battles more fast-paced, and it would seem Ice can't take the change.

Ice's defenses have since then been nearly extinguished and are now calling forth rebalancing because of Shadow Shrike's +50% Pierce boost.

I'm upset with the Elemental Schools each getting an advantage of way too much power over the years. Before the Keeper's Lore pack, Fire, Ice, and Storm where pretty much balanced with each other. When Jade Gear, Azteca, and Aquila came in, Ice gets these huge resist boosts, and with that major power up came greed, in my opinion. They didn't show much care toward the other schools from the comments I read. Now, Fire and Storm have this power that helps them, but Ice doesn't want to give up their power. Fire and Storm definitely don't want Shadow Shrike nerfed either.

So I think that if it was Shadow Magic that imbalanced the Triad, it should be Shadow Magic that fixes it. Storm and Fire get Shrike free, and Ice get's Sentinel free. Shrike is a major outlier compared to Seraph and Sentinel, where it gives another 10% Pierce if you attack. You can get +60% Pierce if you play your cards right. The other two don't care such a power.

I think Sentinel's (and later Seraph) -10% Resist should be increased to maybe 20-30% so that even if Tower Shield get's pierced right through, Ice would still have a small coushon to fall on. Also, I think Sentinel should have a hidden effect, where if you cast a shield, you gain a Stun Block to all allies. Seraph's Absorb should be increased, and should also give a +10% Heal boost if you heal. That way, each of the spells are of equal power.

I also think Shrike should have a slightly bigger penalty. Leave the spell alone, but maybe give a Resist deduction instead of a healing one. It makes the spell more risky.
lol I think ice is just fine. Everybody else has to deal with Shadow Shrike too, it's not like ice got specifically targeted...and they STILL have the advantage with over 100 resist in some cases. That's 40 resist WITHOUT any shield help. Ice is just fine.

Seth Legend

Explorer
Feb 16, 2011
At least Ice still has some back up resist. How do you think us Spirit schools as well as Balance feel? We don't get that good resist and we need to train at your schools for shields. Fighting Ice is like fighting a tank with a nerf gun. IT'S HARD! It's fine the way it is.

Explorer
May 21, 2012
Sean Firesword on Jan 25, 2014 wrote:
Being the owner of a Storm, Fire, and Ice wizard I 100% agree with this. Shadow Shrike is way OP compared to the other shadow spells.

Sean Firesword 95
Sean Stormsword 90
Sean Icesword 51
i have to disagree well maybe seraph isnt as good as the rest but sentinentel is fine you get a +90 critical block with convitction and ice regular block that is way infair no critical will ever get passed that you would have to have a 1000 critical to and ice is still way op to people who dont have shadow spells plus ice or any other school can learn shrike for 1 training point my 62 storm faced a 73 ice and she had about 74 resist to storm and 80 resist to storm then she witched clothing and showed me she could of had 80 resist to both storm and ice plus with a tc fortify that is immuntiy and my lvl aint gonna give up our WW gear for just a few pierce ice is still way op i have no idea why you are mad ice is used to being a mile ahead now they arent and they get all mad and make a fuss? whats the problem other schools cant have a chance to shine? one of my favorite schools has to be balance now i am working on my storm ( i love the purple cards lol) but srsly kingisle really needs to lower the max resist on some things then they can take out shadow magic and a good idea would be to put in some more astral spells

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jan 24, 2014 wrote:

I say keep shadow shrike as it is and give the other shadow spells a boost. There is a post similar to this one where I have mentioned ways to boost shadow seraph and shadow sentinel. You can find it here: https://www.wizard101.com/forum/ravenwood-commons/shadow-spells-to-weak-8ad6a41743c168d10143d6fb623019a1