Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help on pet derbies

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Oct 20, 2011
Hello fellow wizards! Today, I need help on pet derbies. So here's why. My snow beast named Trixie, has about over 100 on all of her stats (except agility). But when she enters in a pet derby, she would get in 3rd or 4th place. All of the pets are her same stage. which is quite embarrassing for me. I'm wondering if somebody can tell me if I need some improvement or not!

Defender
May 31, 2009
Raspykoo653,

Given that you are talking about a pet with stats around 100, it's not really surprising that you aren't having much luck in races.

Primarily this is because your pet is more than likely a low pedigree pet. Not that you can't win with it, but low pedigree pets have 1> lower stats, 2> weaker abilities.

It helps to have good abilities - that should come as no surprise - but many don't realize how important high stats are. Very simply, the higher your stat is trained to, the lower the cost to cheer your pet will have on any given surface. The lower the cost to cheer, the MORE you can cheer. The more you can cheer, the faster you can go.

If you aren't having any luck with your low pedigree pet, look for a better one or hatch with a better one. There are MANY great pet drops, but few can compare with the Silverback Wildclaw from Ravenscar. If you can't get that far, perhaps try for a Minotaur from Mooshu, or a Midnight Sprite from Lord Nightshade.

At the end of the day, your success in Derby will come down to your pet, so the better your pet the better your chances will be.

Casp

Explorer
Oct 20, 2011
Well my pet's pedigree is 49, how is that possible?

Survivor
Jun 23, 2010
Raspykoo653 on Jan 14, 2014 wrote:
Hello fellow wizards! Today, I need help on pet derbies. So here's why. My snow beast named Trixie, has about over 100 on all of her stats (except agility). But when she enters in a pet derby, she would get in 3rd or 4th place. All of the pets are her same stage. which is quite embarrassing for me. I'm wondering if somebody can tell me if I need some improvement or not!
I use a pet with almost the same stats. But, I am a Pet Warlord. It's all about the strategy try doing practice a derby to learn your pets skills and know when to use them. Also, once your a certain rank you can buy other pets and maybe they would have better stats but otherwise in my opinion walking pets (none flying pets) work better for me.

Megan Moonblood

Explorer
Oct 20, 2011
I've spent about a year trying to get my pet in shape, so I don't want to start over again with a new pet. I've already tried hard on strategies. My pet's in really good shape now but she started loosing again in the pet derbies.

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
Storm4LifeMM on Jan 24, 2014 wrote:
I use a pet with almost the same stats. But, I am a Pet Warlord. It's all about the strategy try doing practice a derby to learn your pets skills and know when to use them. Also, once your a certain rank you can buy other pets and maybe they would have better stats but otherwise in my opinion walking pets (none flying pets) work better for me.

Megan Moonblood
True, strategy is a HUGE part of derby. But one thing I have to mention, whether the pet walks or flies....doesn't matter lol.

ANY pet has the potential to be a great racer. Sure, the Silverback Wildclaw, Crimson Spectre, or Sea Dragon are great first generation pets. But, when it comes to hatching, ANY pet, (including piggles!) can be a great racer.

~Vanessa Mythdust