Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

mana burn bug

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
Mana burn seems to be bugged. It says that it removes three of the target's pips, which it appears to do, but then the game still allows the target to cast the spell he chose -- even if he no longer has sufficient pips to cast it. In effect, it does not remove the target's pips if he already chose a spell and that spell doesn't fizzle.

The spell is already worthless for any fight in which you don't get to go first, because very often the target will use his pips before you can cast the spell.

I can see that mana burn would be overpowered in pvp for the team which gets to go first, but in pve it really should work as advertised. Otherwise there's just no point in having it.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
windrunner585 on Dec 13, 2013 wrote:
Mana burn seems to be bugged. It says that it removes three of the target's pips, which it appears to do, but then the game still allows the target to cast the spell he chose -- even if he no longer has sufficient pips to cast it. In effect, it does not remove the target's pips if he already chose a spell and that spell doesn't fizzle.

The spell is already worthless for any fight in which you don't get to go first, because very often the target will use his pips before you can cast the spell.

I can see that mana burn would be overpowered in pvp for the team which gets to go first, but in pve it really should work as advertised. Otherwise there's just no point in having it.
unfortunately for us (and fortunately for everyone else), mana burn is broken and will never be fixed.

i don't care how it works at this point, since it will never have a place in my deck until it works the way it's supposed to. but that's not even what really what grinds my gears.

what bothers me is that lord of winter (which also steals 3 pips) dispels a pre-selected cast, even if you had the right number of pips to start the round, yet mana burn does not. to quote one of my favourite posters: "ki either loves ice, hates balance, or both"... if you're going to rip us off, ki, at least be consistent.

-von

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Dr Von on Dec 14, 2013 wrote:
unfortunately for us (and fortunately for everyone else), mana burn is broken and will never be fixed.

i don't care how it works at this point, since it will never have a place in my deck until it works the way it's supposed to. but that's not even what really what grinds my gears.

what bothers me is that lord of winter (which also steals 3 pips) dispels a pre-selected cast, even if you had the right number of pips to start the round, yet mana burn does not. to quote one of my favourite posters: "ki either loves ice, hates balance, or both"... if you're going to rip us off, ki, at least be consistent.

-von
Lord of Winter has never stopped my casts. It works the same as mana burn. I noticed this while playing my Ice Wizard too, monsters still get their attack after you steal pips if they were casting already. I don't think this is a glitch really. The mana was already spent when you chose the cast, not when you successfully cast it.

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
After leveling a balance wizard to 89, I'm now sorry I didn't choose death. I can't solo anything anymore. I can't shield, heal, and cast fast or efficiently enough. I feel like KI has overtuned the bosses deliberately to make me buy henchmen which I will never, ever do. So I guess I'm done here.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
windrunner585 on Dec 25, 2013 wrote:
After leveling a balance wizard to 89, I'm now sorry I didn't choose death. I can't solo anything anymore. I can't shield, heal, and cast fast or efficiently enough. I feel like KI has overtuned the bosses deliberately to make me buy henchmen which I will never, ever do. So I guess I'm done here.
I have a level 95 balance wizard. While the school itself is a pain to play until level 60 or so, I made the best with what little I had available and she's now a machine. She actually has much better stats than my level 90 death wizard.

Worth noting:

1) in order to get good accuracy for balance, you need to get a pet with sharp shot and/or balance-it, as there is no gear that gives it without sacrificing other stats.

2) I don't carry heals or shields for mob fights. I pack only what is necessary to get the job done as quickly as possible, nothing more. And mana burn is not useful.

3) unless you are storm, you should never be using henchmen. If you find you're burning through crowns, you're doing something wrong... Send me a message on Central (I'm El Veeb over there) and we can arrange an in-game meet up: I will help you with your deck setup and pet, if needed).

Re: Lord of winter- even if I'm not stunned or anything, it has always dispelled my preselected cast. I don't have a high level ice wizard, but maybe I'll find a tc and get my grandmaster to test this theory in practice pvp. Anyone know if a tc version is available somewhere?

-v.