Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Reporting people (members vs free etc)

AuthorMessage
Delver
Aug 21, 2013
I think there should be three tiers for being able to report people...

Membership (full 'rented' access to the game) - as is now.

Free player - up to three reports a month. If a report is deemed as valid (ie not a false report), then they the quota for that month is increased by one (in effect, if you submit a valid report, you get it back so you can use it again). It wouldn't increase the limit per month.

Paid player - if a player has spent over a certain amount of money in one transaction or over a certain other amount total, then that player gets say five per week, with the same rule as above (valid reports get you credit to submit another report). This would be after their 'paid' status has worn off and they are seeing the 'upgrade now' button.

For both the 'free' and 'paid' players, if someone shows obvious signs of abusing the report system, then their quota would go down. Free player might get dropped from 3/month to 1/month (and then to none at all if abused). Paid might go from 5/month to 3/month to 1/month. If someone has a good track record of submitting valid reports, then their quota could also be increased some, so that they can continue to assist KI with the helpful reports.

Me, personally, I tend to restrict reports to someone using foul language. Not really sure what else I should report people for (the instructions for what to report is hard to understand, at best), but would like to think that if I see someone using adult language that I would be able to report it instead of having the button dimmed out.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
and lose reporting privileges completely member or not for 6 months if you false report please false reporting is a growing problem

Survivor
Jan 22, 2010
So, basically you're saying that we have to pay to get listened to? I can see that system collapsing already, reports shouldn't be limited but a users should suffer the consequences.

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
Fangs McWolf on Nov 30, 2013 wrote:

Free player - up to three reports a month. If a report is deemed as valid (ie not a false report), then they the quota for that month is increased by one (in effect, if you submit a valid report, you get it back so you can use it again). It wouldn't increase the limit per month.

Paid player - if a player has spent over a certain amount of money in one transaction or over a certain other amount total, then that player gets say five per week, with the same rule as above (valid reports get you credit to submit another report). This would be after their 'paid' status has worn off and they are seeing the 'upgrade now' button.

For both the 'free' and 'paid' players, if someone shows obvious signs of abusing the report system, then their quota would go down. Free player might get dropped from 3/month to 1/month (and then to none at all if abused). Paid might go from 5/month to 3/month to 1/month. If someone has a good track record of submitting valid reports, then their quota could also be increased some, so that they can continue to assist KI with the helpful reports.

Me, personally, I tend to restrict reports to someone using foul language. Not really sure what else I should report people for (the instructions for what to report is hard to understand, at best), but would like to think that if I see someone using adult language that I would be able to report it instead of having the button dimmed out.
Reporting is making Wizard101 as safe as possible, it shouldn't one of those things only certain people can do.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
wraithcaster on Dec 10, 2013 wrote:
Reporting is making Wizard101 as safe as possible, it shouldn't one of those things only certain people can do.
it currently is non members cannot report at all

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
wraithcaster on Dec 10, 2013 wrote:
My suggestion isn't to limit the ability to report, but to expand upon it. I'm sure there are some reasons for limiting it but if someone has shown that they can and will submit quality reports, then why should they lose access to reporting others just because they don't meet the qualifications (current member or purchase within the last 30 days)?

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Fangs McWolf on Dec 12, 2013 wrote:
My suggestion isn't to limit the ability to report, but to expand upon it. I'm sure there are some reasons for limiting it but if someone has shown that they can and will submit quality reports, then why should they lose access to reporting others just because they don't meet the qualifications (current member or purchase within the last 30 days)?
because you can look up what you can report in less then half a minute and you should not get a number of you can false report this many times k? just don't overdo it bros. that's your idea they should lose all reporting privileges for at least a month at one false report

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
critical blizzard on Dec 12, 2013 wrote:
because you can look up what you can report in less then half a minute and you should not get a number of you can false report this many times k? just don't overdo it bros. that's your idea they should lose all reporting privileges for at least a month at one false report
I'm sort of confused by what you said, but it sounds like you think I'm saying, "If someone makes one false report then they should be punished severely!" when that's not the case at all.

As it is at this moment, if someone is not a member and has not performed a transaction in the last 30 days, they see the 'Upgrade Now' button and are unable to report people. My guess is that it's to prevent free players from abusing it (perhaps there was an overload of free players doing that in the past). My suggestion is to tier it so that non members can report people, but limited to a number of reports per month. False reports result in being able to do fewer reports a month while valid reports 'reward' the person. This way, K.I. can get reports from non members but without worry that it'll be nothing but free players constantly abusing it. If I see someone being creative to cuss and I want to report them, then shouldn't I be able to? How does it help K.I. if I'm not able to?

The whole point of this request/suggestion is to find a good middle ground between how it is now and what would be ideal. I'm sure it's disabled for free players for a reason, simply requesting it to be enabled completely would defeat the purpose of disabling it.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Fangs McWolf on Dec 15, 2013 wrote:
I'm sort of confused by what you said, but it sounds like you think I'm saying, "If someone makes one false report then they should be punished severely!" when that's not the case at all.

As it is at this moment, if someone is not a member and has not performed a transaction in the last 30 days, they see the 'Upgrade Now' button and are unable to report people. My guess is that it's to prevent free players from abusing it (perhaps there was an overload of free players doing that in the past). My suggestion is to tier it so that non members can report people, but limited to a number of reports per month. False reports result in being able to do fewer reports a month while valid reports 'reward' the person. This way, K.I. can get reports from non members but without worry that it'll be nothing but free players constantly abusing it. If I see someone being creative to cuss and I want to report them, then shouldn't I be able to? How does it help K.I. if I'm not able to?

The whole point of this request/suggestion is to find a good middle ground between how it is now and what would be ideal. I'm sure it's disabled for free players for a reason, simply requesting it to be enabled completely would defeat the purpose of disabling it.
no i am saying they should be punished for false reports you are saying let them false report all they want if they are member if your not a member false report this many times but dont overdo it which is near the same crazy spread of false reports there is now here is what i say if someone false reports member or nonmember they should lose reporting privileges for at least a month that will actually reduce false reports

Survivor
Apr 07, 2013
Fangs McWolf on Nov 30, 2013 wrote:

i do not think i would go with you low level people always get picked on so why should all this be limited

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
KellerDeathBreeze on Dec 16, 2013 wrote:
i do not think i would go with you low level people always get picked on so why should all this be limited
I don't understand what you are saying/what you mean.

Defender
Jan 03, 2013
This idea is rather bogus to me. You mean to tell me we have to sit and watch others commit acts like slander, racism, and other nonsense just happen because we are not members? This idea should just be in a trash can.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
KaneDeathBringer23... on Dec 17, 2013 wrote:
This idea is rather bogus to me. You mean to tell me we have to sit and watch others commit acts like slander, racism, and other nonsense just happen because we are not members? This idea should just be in a trash can.
Oh for the luvva.... If you aren't a member this would actually make it possible for you to submit reports as stated earlier. The current setting at this time is if you are not a member, regardless of whether or not you buy crowns, you cannot report someone. With this in place you would be able to report instead of just seeing something telling you to upgrade if you want to report someone. Ok granted there is a small way to report someone but it is a bit lengthy, you'd need to take a screenshot of someone actually committing the act and then send it to a customer service email that's provided by KI. I'd strongly suggest this idea here be put in place as it would make the game a lot safer for younger kids.

Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
I disagree. Reporting is a thing that keeps the Wizard101 community safe. It should not be limited to people who don't pay a subscription.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
I do not think some people get the gist of what's been said.

This person is suggesting that free-to-play members will get to report along with subscribers. What he's proposing is a way to allow free-to-play members to report. Granted, it is a limited number, but, from what I've read, if it is a true report, then they will get it back.

He then said that people who pay crowns get a larger amount of reports each month with the same idea that if the report is valid, they get it back.

The op is in no way, shape or form limiting reports, he's actually proposing an idea that will allow everyone to be able to report foul language and the like.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Joshua Starflame on Dec 17, 2013 wrote:
Oh for the luvva.... If you aren't a member this would actually make it possible for you to submit reports as stated earlier. The current setting at this time is if you are not a member, regardless of whether or not you buy crowns, you cannot report someone. With this in place you would be able to report instead of just seeing something telling you to upgrade if you want to report someone. Ok granted there is a small way to report someone but it is a bit lengthy, you'd need to take a screenshot of someone actually committing the act and then send it to a customer service email that's provided by KI. I'd strongly suggest this idea here be put in place as it would make the game a lot safer for younger kids.
Slight correction to what you said. If someone buys crowns, then for 30 days you are treated like a member (posting on these forums, ability to report, no 'upgrade now' button). Other than that, you got it right on the nose.

I can only guess why it is the way it is, like perhaps it was abused by a lot of free players. However, by disabling reports by free players (and also crowns players), then it's making it possible for players to violate the rules or possibly even bully someone. Let's say that someone knows that a couple of players are free players and so starts whispering to them with creative wording to use foul language or making racial comments. Could be a couple of kids that know to report someone but when they try, it won't work. At some point, that person will likely mess up and get caught, but for the players they abused before that point, it's too late.

So keeping in mind that there may be a valid reason for wanting to limit the report feature for free players, I came up with the idea of allowing limited use of it. Seems that you and a couple of others understand my idea, while others are determined to ignore my wording and insist I'm wanting to take away the ability to do reports. People, heh.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Scarlet Nightdream... on Dec 17, 2013 wrote:

This person is suggesting that free-to-play members will get to report along with subscribers. What he's proposing is a way to allow free-to-play members to report. Granted, it is a limited number, but, from what I've read, if it is a true report, then they will get it back.

He then said that people who pay crowns get a larger amount of reports each month with the same idea that if the report is valid, they get it back.

The op is in no way, shape or form limiting reports, he's actually proposing an idea that will allow everyone to be able to report foul language and the like.
i don't like the idea of letting more people false report. everyone needs to be allowed to report badness. however members are false reporting allot currently. and KI shouldn't have to take time to look into game data over and over again to see if a report was false or not by the SAME person. everyone should be allowed as many reports as they need but if you false report you SHOULD lose reporting privileges for atleast a month.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
Scarlet Nightdream... on Dec 17, 2013 wrote:

Scarlet and Fang both have a valid point here. People who are free to play do not have the current option to report people.

If Kingsisle were to limit the amount of reports allowed, regarded that they were valid reports and not falsely done, then I think they should allow this to keep the game clear. Seeing how Kingsisle is trying to keep the game family and kid friendly, I see not bad part in why they should limit it only to current paying players, unless they had some sort of corruption with the false reports from free players in the past and caused too much over flow.

My point is: If they allowed the restriction limit of how many reports can be done, then they can keep their standards of allowing all players the option to report and cut back the chances of people false reporting. While also they have their statement of "family and kid friendly" with chat and such, it would make sense to enable the restriction. Since the game has a majority of being kids and/or teens, whereas a vast majority may be adults and they could have children that play Wizard101 and I don't think they would want to be seeing something so inappropriate if their child was a crowns player (or no membership at the time, vice versa) and had not made a recent purchase to report somebody for anything that may be said.

Does anyone agree here?

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Danielle EarthWalk... on Dec 18, 2013 wrote:
Scarlet and Fang both have a valid point here. People who are free to play do not have the current option to report people.

If Kingsisle were to limit the amount of reports allowed, regarded that they were valid reports and not falsely done, then I think they should allow this to keep the game clear. Seeing how Kingsisle is trying to keep the game family and kid friendly, I see not bad part in why they should limit it only to current paying players, unless they had some sort of corruption with the false reports from free players in the past and caused too much over flow.

My point is: If they allowed the restriction limit of how many reports can be done, then they can keep their standards of allowing all players the option to report and cut back the chances of people false reporting. While also they have their statement of "family and kid friendly" with chat and such, it would make sense to enable the restriction. Since the game has a majority of being kids and/or teens, whereas a vast majority may be adults and they could have children that play Wizard101 and I don't think they would want to be seeing something so inappropriate if their child was a crowns player (or no membership at the time, vice versa) and had not made a recent purchase to report somebody for anything that may be said.

Does anyone agree here?
Um, I think I agree. It's hard to follow with your wording.

Whole thing comes down to allowing everyone to submit reports (instead of only members or those with recent purchases). To prevent abuse, have limits in place. If those limits are misused, those limits get more strict or even removed. If they are used wisely on a consistent basis, loosen the restriction (ie, more reports in the same period of time). So those who provide quality reports can continue to do so while those who don't aren't continuing to cause an excess overload for the K.I. staff.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
The problem with allowing free players to report is obvious. ANYONE can make as many free accounts as they like. This opens reporting to HUGE abuse. Yes it doesn't seem fair on the face of it, but it IS necessary to limit to paying customers. They cannot just randomly start a new member account to attack someone with reports. Members are accountable for their reporting actions. Non-members could just start another account and false report at will. Members could also just start another free account and false report at will. Even limiting it wouldn't stop or even slow the abuse possible.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
critical blizzard on Dec 18, 2013 wrote:
i don't like the idea of letting more people false report. everyone needs to be allowed to report badness. however members are false reporting allot currently. and KI shouldn't have to take time to look into game data over and over again to see if a report was false or not by the SAME person. everyone should be allowed as many reports as they need but if you false report you SHOULD lose reporting privileges for atleast a month.
For every false reporter out there there are a good few valid reporters. Besides that, if false reporters do it too much they could get in trouble and have certain measures levied against their accounts. I don't see any problem with this, as those that get too carried away will be punished for it. In all honesty though, I can't say I've seen too many false reporters out there anyways. In my two years on here I've had a total of four of five false reports. Considering the amount of days I've been on here, the number of PvP matches I've had and the number of times I've refused to friend/gift/hatch with someone, it isn't a lot of false reports.

I can't say how hard it would be, as that would require at least some background knowledge of coding (in which I have none) but I do believe that if they did that it would result in better game play for us. Sometimes things are worth the trouble gone through to get them and this is definitely worth the trouble of coding it. It creates a safer community for the many younger players (I'm not just talking about the ones with menu chat, I'm talking about tweens and teens too.) and it allows parents to have some peace of mind if they're on a free-to-play account or crowns account and can report foul language if they see it.

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
So now you have to pay to keep the game safe? This idea is very bad, in my opinion. Having to pay to report someone is very strange. It makes me wonder how you thought of it.

-Nick
"When the battle gets deadly, summon a Death Shield"

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
Nicholas Hawkspear on Dec 19, 2013 wrote:
So now you have to pay to keep the game safe? This idea is very bad, in my opinion. Having to pay to report someone is very strange. It makes me wonder how you thought of it.

-Nick
"When the battle gets deadly, summon a Death Shield"
Again, the OP is stating that everyone should be able to report, within some set limits.

Personally, I like the limits idea. It would discourage some false reporters and those that keep making new accounts might have reporting taken away from all accounts connected to their IP address. If KI can ban a certain IP address they might be able to just not allow any accounts on a certain IP address to report people. Again, it might be quite a hassle, but it would be worth it.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Scarlet Nightdream... on Dec 18, 2013 wrote:
For every false reporter out there there are a good few valid reporters. Besides that, if false reporters do it too much they could get in trouble and have certain measures levied against their accounts. I don't see any problem with this, as those that get too carried away will be punished for it. In all honesty though, I can't say I've seen too many false reporters out there anyways. In my two years on here I've had a total of four of five false reports. Considering the amount of days I've been on here, the number of PvP matches I've had and the number of times I've refused to friend/gift/hatch with someone, it isn't a lot of false reports.

I can't say how hard it would be, as that would require at least some background knowledge of coding (in which I have none) but I do believe that if they did that it would result in better game play for us. Sometimes things are worth the trouble gone through to get them and this is definitely worth the trouble of coding it. It creates a safer community for the many younger players (I'm not just talking about the ones with menu chat, I'm talking about tweens and teens too.) and it allows parents to have some peace of mind if they're on a free-to-play account or crowns account and can report foul language if they see it.
ok lets see if you guys will understand this i think:

if ANYONE false reports they should not be allowed to report again for a month or maybe lose reporting for longer but a minimum of a month

and i think that paying kingsisle or not you should be allowed to report just as much as a member

you shouldn't have to pay kingsisle to help them keep their game family friendly

and you should not be allowed to keep reporting freely when you false report

some may say but wt if you don't know what you can report maybe kingsisle can add a link too the report able offenses list on the launcher but false reporting needs to stop and getting away with stuff cause no members were around needs to stop too

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Scarlet Nightdream... on Dec 19, 2013 wrote:
Again, the OP is stating that everyone should be able to report, within some set limits.

Personally, I like the limits idea. It would discourage some false reporters and those that keep making new accounts might have reporting taken away from all accounts connected to their IP address. If KI can ban a certain IP address they might be able to just not allow any accounts on a certain IP address to report people. Again, it might be quite a hassle, but it would be worth it.
Banning IP addresses isn't feasible. Most people don't have fixed IP addresses. All it takes is a turning a modem off and on and most people have a different IP.