Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shadow Magic

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 13, 2012
I am a level 98 turning 99 today! :D right about now :D and I have shadow magic got the quest at level 85 quest was to much xP and i got the shadow after defeating an life lady mouse :D
The quest is quite hard but its not really difficult guys anyone 89 and up can do it hope you guys get it! :D

Jonathandatgamer Level 98

Survivor
Jun 13, 2012
shadow magic is not hard to get its a simple quest i know from experience, i have shadow magic and me and my friends we love shadow. i got shadow magic when i was level 96 got the quest at 95 and it was not hard as i thought thought it would be so hard i wouldn't get it cheer up guys you got this

jonathandatgamer level 99

Survivor
Aug 31, 2014
i'm asking all players and they said i should finish first part of khrysalis to get shadow magic but i did first part i'm questing in last wood
anyone can help me when can i get shadow magic?

Survivor
Jul 15, 2012
Everyone says I should of gotten shadow magic at level 92-95 but I just turned level 95 with no luck. I know you need to complete the quest touching shadow and talk to someone in the eclipse tower before you van learn them, and also that depending on you school you get one for free but I can't find out how to get the quest. Is it a main quest or a side? And also I am on the quest take a message and that quest is from Silent market I believe.If you find out how I can get the quest touching shadow please comment. Thanks

Explorer
Jan 27, 2013
Makenzi.M on Nov 21, 2013 wrote:
The shadow magic isn't worth getting. One of the shadow spells is another 25+ healing outgoing which is dumb cause theres already 3 of those in the game you can get without getting backlash from the shadow spell.
The other one gives 80 critical block and -10 incoming, but all the damage your team mates take that is reduced is given to the player casting the spell instead of it being for your team mates and yourself. (useless spell).
And the last one gives you 10+ pierce and +10 damage boost. but its useless aswell cause you dont get any of the pierce until after you have attacked and used all your blades up. all 3 are useless and a waste of training points which is depressing since we have all been waiting for something amazing to come to the game besides just another goofy world to run through and a level increase. v.v
Wait. What? First of all. Seraph gives an absorb for EVERY heal.
Next. Sentinel is meant for ice, or death. Tankers. The damage won't disappear into thin air. Think about it this way. Ice uses sentinel, it saves a storm wizard from a stronger hit. Its probably one of the best spells in the game.
And Shrike. Best one overall. And the spear after you attack? Try wand hitting the minion for a boss? then you get your precious spear.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2009
Professor Greyrose on Nov 15, 2013 wrote:

There is another kind of magic in the Spiral, in addition to the seven primary schools and the three Astral schools – it is an underlying, reality-defining and bending magic known as Shadow Magic. Shadow Magic can only be trained by spending Training Points, and cannot be learned as a Primary School of focus.

Shadow Magic is learned from Sofia DarkSide, a wise mouse mage located in the Eclipse Tower in Moon Cliffs. You will only be able to access her after you have completed the quest "Touching Shadow" and after you defeat her, she will teach you Shadow Magic.

Shadow Magic is so powerful and so dangerous that Bartleby and Grandmother Raven told Merle Ambrose not to delve into it, and especially not teach it to his students. Shadow magic was forbidden for it touches the true essence of the Spiral. This is the forbidden knowledge that Morganthe has so long coveted.

Shadow Magic enhances the spells you cast while the Shadow Magic spell is in effect. It is unstable and difficult to control. Players will need to learn how to best manage Shadow Magic and learn how to harness its very powerful benefits.

There are 3 different Shadow Self spells. You will be awarded one of them, based on your school. The other 2 can be learned by spending Training Points at Sofia DarkSide.

Ah but there's so much more...

Shadow Pips
Shadow Magic cannot be cast with regular or power pips, but must be cast with special new Shadow Pips. You will only have a chance of receiving Shadow pips if you have trained Shadow Magic.

Backlash
All Shadow Spells run the risk of Backlash Damage. When a player casts a Shadow Damage spell, a Shadow Aura appears. That Shadow Aura will change based on the player's actions. The angrier looking the Shadow Aura, the stronger the Backlash will be once the Shadow Magic spell expires. Damage caused by Backlash ignores all resistances, shields and modifiers!

PvP
Shadow Magic can be used in all PvP, young Wizards, so this should make things very interesting....
Can wait till i get shadow magic! super hype for shrike

Survivor
Jan 21, 2014
biggdaddyGWA on Nov 28, 2013 wrote:
can any one tell me how to get the shadow magic quest I have went past moon cliffs and I am about level 94 and I can't find it and no one is telling me how to do it so please some one tell me.

valkoor winter wraith
Khrysalis is confusing like this....
It comes in much much later, after you defeat the brood mother the 2nd time, she sends you to get a moon's crown.
Then you must get the crystal for it.
Then you have to mold it together.
Then you get Eclipse tower ;)
I bet this is too late, but who knows?

Survivor
Nov 06, 2015

There is another kind of magic in the Spiral, in addition to the seven primary schools and the three Astral schools – it is an underlying, reality-defining and bending magic known as Shadow Magic. Shadow Magic can only be trained by spending Training Points, and cannot be learned as a Primary School of focus.

Shadow Magic is learned from Sofia DarkSide, a wise mouse mage located in the Eclipse Tower in Moon Cliffs. You will only be able to access her after you have completed the quest "Touching Shadow" and after you defeat her, she will teach you Shadow Magic.

Shadow Magic is so powerful and so dangerous that Bartleby and Grandmother Raven told Merle Ambrose not to delve into it, and especially not teach it to his students. Shadow magic was forbidden for it touches the true essence of the Spiral. This is the forbidden knowledge that Morganthe has so long coveted.

Shadow Magic enhances the spells you cast while the Shadow Magic spell is in effect. It is unstable and difficult to control. Players will need to learn how to best manage Shadow Magic and learn how to harness its very powerful benefits.

There are 3 different Shadow Self spells. You will be awarded one of them, based on your school. The other 2 can be learned by spending Training Points at Sofia DarkSide.

Shadow Pips
Shadow Magic cannot be cast with regular or power pips, but must be cast with special new Shadow Pips. You will only have a chance of receiving Shadow pips if you have trained Shadow Magic.

Backlash
All Shadow Spells run the risk of Backlash Damage. When a player casts a Shadow Damage spell, a Shadow Aura appears. That Shadow Aura will change based on the player's actions. The angrier looking the Shadow Aura, the stronger the Backlash will be once the Shadow Magic spell expires. Damage caused by Backlash ignores all resistances, shields and modifiers!

PvP
Shadow Magic can be used in all PvP, young Wizards, so this should make things very interesting....
I wish shadow magic could be accessible at a lower world because I have a archmage fire and can't do aztca good and most of my friends don't help me and I want to use shadow spells.
Andrew Dragon Hammer lvl85

Survivor
Aug 23, 2015
I am Justin StormHunter.

I am currently a Level 101 fire Wizard . I have got shadow magic and got malistair gear. I must say shadow magic is really fun and exciting!!! I love using Fire From Above(FFA)!!! I can't wait to get raging bull!

Survivor
Apr 28, 2009
Survivor
Dec 11, 2011
Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014

Shadow Pips

Backlash

PvP
Professor Greyrose, I'd like to see Shadow shield, trap and blade sold by a spell vendor other them on gear. Will you please add them to the Game

Survivor
May 16, 2010
When do you get the donate shadow spell? I am already past level 120 but it won't let me train it.

Defender
Jul 01, 2015
Survivor
Aug 19, 2009
Survivor
Feb 15, 2014
Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
flameto678 on Jan 19, 2019 wrote:
I was wondering how do you get more shadow pip space
Are you asking about Shadow Pips Chances?

Or to increase the amount of Shadow Pips you can accumulate per battle?

I will speak to both queries just in case.

You gain Shadow Pip % or rather, you can increase this by your gear. Triangle Jewels such Polished PIP Hematite +1% as also helps.

And about the latter, you gain the ability to garner more shadow pips as you progress through the main storyline. For example, by the end of Khrysalis, you'll have the ability to garner the maximum of two shadow pips per battle instead of one.

Gear doesn't affect this.

Defender
Jun 03, 2017
Survivor
Aug 13, 2009
How can I avoid the shadow magic quest. There's no way I want to have a dark cloud pinned to my wizard in every battle. I may have to just stop questing. Years ago I stopped playing all together when my balance wizard got stuck with the cloud. I came back thinking maybe I can just avoid the spell quest. I'm hoping so.

Survivor
Nov 06, 2013

Shadow Pips

Backlash

PvP
I have a question. For each the shadow transformation, there is a special ability associated with it. Shadow strike gives a 50% pierce plus 10% damage to add on to your own. Shadow seraph strengthens your heals, while shadow sentinel acts as defensive mechanism for teams while increasing your defense by 10% and you critical blocking rate by 80. Now the question is this. Every time shadow strike hits, everyone gets 10% pierce every time, every time Shadow seraph heals, every one gets a shield that absorbs damage, Why not integrate a tower shield or legion shield to every one when ever the shadow sentinel shields? These are suggestions, but honestly, I feel like the supporting schools spells are inferior to the offensive school spells. If all schools are to make a balance, should the privileges be equally valued. I say all of that to say this. I believe that shadow sentinel should deploy a legion shield whenever it uses a shield. Please take into consideration that for starters, as the higher level we get, the more i see the supporting schools being Nerf.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2018
Brecken Darkheart on Dec 7, 2013 wrote:
My level 94 death has sentinel, but I mostly use shadow shrike. It is more useful.
That is literally me! I got the sentinel spell but its pretty useless in my opinion unless you're an ice tank in pvp. Shrike is really helpful for resistant bosses or getting through shields. I love it!

Survivor
Jul 09, 2014
Survivor
Jul 10, 2016
A question for the wizard city professors, is there anyway to avoid the backlash when casting shadow spells? I do everything that the shadow spell likes yet I still receive backlash which is more damage than the creatures I am in combat against will do, in some cases it kills them and myself so the shadow magic is becoming useless in a close combat situation. I didn't suffer so much damage in the past before the updates and in some cases suffered no damage at all. I truly love the spells and would use them regularly but now I can not use them, they are becoming useless in battle. please change the backlash back or let me know what I can do to prevent the damage . thank you so much.

Explorer
Mar 04, 2018
I wonder how you calculate the backlash damage, like if it was a certain percentage of your total health or something. I saw one player use a Shadow spell, and there was a red orb that said things like, “+10 backlash, +30 backlash.” Then the player lost a lot of health. I haven’t learned Shadow spells yet, but I was just wondering.

Rebecca Stormrider
Level 90

Explorer
Mar 04, 2018
Sigh. I wish I had unlocked Shadow magic by now. I found the quest to get it, though. I just have to wait and do more quests, I guess.