Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Membership Rewards

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Keller Darkpyre on Nov 18, 2013 wrote:
Some basic points:
  1. As much as it may hurt some people's feelings, subscribers are more valuable to a game company than free-to-play customers who buy crowns are. While both do provide, income, the subscribers offer a more guaranteed income stream regardless of how much they play, whereas there is no way of accurately predicting how often FTP players will log on, or how much money's worth of crowns they will use in a given month. Additionally, subscribers will sometimes keep their subs running even if they completely stop playing for a time, while when FTP player aren't playing, they aren't spending money.
  2. While true that there are more perks than unlimited access to areas included in membership. most if not all of these can be had by FTP members by spending enough of the crowns they choose to use to get access to the game.
  3. I do agree that 2500 crowns is way too much to make financial sense for KI. Either a much smaller amount such as 50-100 crowns per month; or special member only items such as housing items, potions, and treasure cards at specific milestones such as three months, six months, one year, two years, etc. makes more sense.
  4. Rewarding one group of players based on how profitable they are to KI is not penalizing or unfair to players who aren't in that group as long as the same criteria of who gets the rewards is applied evenly across all players. It's just good business sense. Just like everything else in life, the more you put into something, the more you get out of it.
An excellent post.

Survivor
Aug 07, 2009
YES! and the longer we're subscribed the better they get.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2011
Its a nice addition but they do give us a lot of discounts on memberships already.

Survivor
Jan 06, 2013
Like the idea for free crowns but instead of what ever amount you said (forgot what it was but I remember it was really high) for the ember ship you have to pay for every month how about 100 crowns per month. 6 months 500. 12 months 1100. That way it is pretty fair for the amounts.

Haley Moonshard
Jessica Mistcloud
Haley frostflame

Survivor
Sep 26, 2013
I have watched this back and forth debate with interest,and here is what I have learned/observed:

1) The ones who support this idea seem to be using logic,and citing hard evidence to support their claims,while the ones who argue against seem to be trying to manipulate opinions based on emotions,and having no evidence to backup their claims.
2)One side says it should work based on cited evidence,the other side says it won't based on no evidence.
3) This subject isn't really important to me either way,but based on the degree of passion it has sparked, i decided to go investigate it further,and here is what I found......

It is a huge and verifiable success! I googled the top 10 mmorpg games and found that everyone of them not only use it,but their is a wealth of information supporting the FACT that this did indeed increase the profits of these games. A little googling goes a long way here. So in conclusion, while it is by no means certain either way of what would happen if implemented, the evidence<and lots of it> does trump the simple opinion of "it wont work".
Decision based on what has been offered so far in the arguments- It most assuredly should be tried

Historian
Jul 18, 2010
The players love it but not so much Kingsisle probably. They need money too. If they give out membership reward that big, they could lose a lot of money. How about some smaller things yet still enjoyable to the players. I love this idea lol

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
critical blizzard on Nov 23, 2013 wrote:
intrepedituis yes your example has same price for a month membership and yes they give 5 dollars worth of "turbine points" each membership month but you have to play for a decent amount of time just to find a premium area the max level in that game is 20 still right? well it was when i was playing it and i saw level 13 people who have spent no money on the game have you seen around a level 40 (or higher) in wizard101 that has spent no money on the game? not to mention their premium areas are about the size of the island getaway castle. and here is where your way off you think this has no affect on me because i am not a member? it has the bad affect on me because i buy crowns because of that they would either have to 1 increase costs of crowns items or 2 decrease the amount of crowns you get for 5 bucks so they could still tell you that and people would still buy crowns your right this has no harm for MEMBERS but it makes things a lot worse for me and other gamers like me unless you have another game to back up your claims you have no more evidence then Nicholas hawkspear (not that i think he has shown evidence)
anyone read this? intrepeditus do you have a different example? i did the research on ddo and in fact use to play it and i ask of all of intrepeditus's blind followers to try it too and tell me the max level and level they think a non turbine point buyer/membership renewer can get too ddo needs the turbine point reward because a very large percentage of their game areas are not premium

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
critical blizzard on Dec 2, 2013 wrote:
anyone read this? intrepeditus do you have a different example? i did the research on ddo and in fact use to play it and i ask of all of intrepeditus's blind followers to try it too and tell me the max level and level they think a non turbine point buyer/membership renewer can get too ddo needs the turbine point reward because a very large percentage of their game areas are not premium
Plenty of examples. i just listed a few, think someone else listed more. As for DDO, it has grown by leaps and bounds since they implemented the improved perks. The premium areas are all over. They have been so successful they are now launching a new AD&D sister game. You can read all about the success of their perks in official statements,their member forums,guest forums, etc.
The saddest thing about this whole debacle is that the people who argue against it, are in all probability hurting the expansion of this game, if KI adheres to their wishes.

P.S. I have followers?!?

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Intrepidatius on Dec 4, 2013 wrote:
Plenty of examples. i just listed a few, think someone else listed more. As for DDO, it has grown by leaps and bounds since they implemented the improved perks. The premium areas are all over. They have been so successful they are now launching a new AD&D sister game. You can read all about the success of their perks in official statements,their member forums,guest forums, etc.
The saddest thing about this whole debacle is that the people who argue against it, are in all probability hurting the expansion of this game, if KI adheres to their wishes.

P.S. I have followers?!?
sorry but ddo has a different type of costumer you have to understand this and DDO has a much much larger % of non premium areas then premium you cannot change that and that's why they NEED those perks wizard101 just isn't a game where you can play most of it for free like DDO and your gonna have to get over that.

ps. princess pooofy is your main one cause poofy is most blind

Survivor
Jan 10, 2013
I think that a certain amount of crowns should come with each type of membership. My reasons are easy enough and hopefully other wizards agree with me.

1. A lot more wizards will be buying memberships and that would be an increase in money for wizard 101.

2. It would help us wizards and make us happier with the game( i am already happy with the game though, it would just be an improvement.)

3. I feel that there are not as many things do do as a member that wizards would think. Crowns would be an extra reason to buy membership

Those are my reasons. I feel that those are good reasons for crowns to come with membership

Survivor
Aug 20, 2011
There are some problems with this:

Membership users would have too much of an advantage over crown users (they already do)
Membership cost would go up (due to both the crowns and demand)
Beggars will multiply, because more membership now means more crowns

also:
"3: I feel that there are not as many things to do as a member that wizards would think."
You are taking membership for granted. You can go anywhere and do anything you want, you can report people and not just say "i hate o you" to them, and the time for crafting and the hatch timer is halved.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Wolf DunePyre on Dec 13, 2013 wrote:
There are some problems with this:

Membership users would have too much of an advantage over crown users (they already do)
Membership cost would go up (due to both the crowns and demand)
Beggars will multiply, because more membership now means more crowns

also:
"3: I feel that there are not as many things to do as a member that wizards would think."
You are taking membership for granted. You can go anywhere and do anything you want, you can report people and not just say "i hate o you" to them, and the time for crafting and the hatch timer is halved.
this plus kingsisle merge this with membership benefits i don't want to start my arguements over it takes long time to get people to see past the greed convincing them this will help you KI

Survivor
Jan 10, 2013
ForerunnerDeity on Oct 14, 2013 wrote:
I think it would be a great addition to the game if we were rewarded for our membership purchase(s). I suggest that the developers should add a reward system as follows: every month our membership renews we receive 2500 crowns. Thoughts?

thats what i was saying... KI would and could make more money with this because people would buy it more, i no i would

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
Really? Who's the one who brought this topic back up? It's been out of the Updated Topics list for so long, and now some selfish person wanted more from only paying $9.95. Really, why do you not see how much stuff we already have. The only thing I think Members should get is a group of Teleporters in the Commons that take you to Olde Town, Cyclops Lain, and Dark Cave. Incase you spoiled people that always want more and more have never seen what we already have, take a look: https://www.wizard101.com/game/membership

-Nick
"When the battle gets deadly, summon a Death Shield"

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
Everyone is insane about this! KI would go bankrupt because of this! The only reward there should really be is the actual game itself! If you want a reward do quests. You are being ungrateful about all of this! I had to basically beg my parents to death to get this!

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
Healer2704 on Oct 23, 2013 wrote:
Hey, i think you went a bit overboard with the suggestions! (It is only my opinion)
My suggestions and opinions:
1. We should get a pet egg every year your a member. Opinion: It wouldn't be too overboard in power! Maybe a card, just a blade. 2. I dun want crowns for it! That would be too greedy for members. Instead, why don't we get a new housing item that is interactive? Every 6 months we would get an interactive item! Opinion: Interactive house items, such as able to earned from quests and bought with gold, should be given. 3. We should get a gold reward if we do a goal that is only available to members, like "Go to mooshu and defeat 6 Ronins" for "1,400 gold". Opinion: The quest would be based on your level! For example, if you where level 50; you wouldn't get a quest from previous worlds, you would get it on the world that level is supposed to be on. It would be "Go to Celestia and defeat 10 Any Enemy" for "2,000 gold".
Opinion for all suggestions: These wouldn't make non-members mad because of the things others suggested, they would be extra add ons. The non-members wouldn't try to be members like "Mom! I want membership beacuse i'll get crowns each year!" "Dad! But I'll get an extra card at level 50!" x throws tantrum x
None of that drama would happen, it would just be fairer because we don't need tantrums and our eardrums exploding.
Sorry for long post
Hannah Moonstone level 39 "Live life to the fullest, like every day is your last."
The only thing about rewards is that members get a lot of perks and advantages however it's not a bad idea although it's not a good one either.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2009
FinnAgainWindrider on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
Chrissy is totally right! We pay for membership, and get the game as a reward! I mean, really!

KI also does regularly give little perks, little presents, holiday things, this year they had the anniversary deal and gave members gifts for that, ranging from statues to mounts.

But they should not have to pay us to play their game. I think that notion seems a little backward, to be honest. These guys are trying to make a living, after all!
eh i mean so does every game...but this game is a wee bit expensive....fun. but expensive

Survivor
May 05, 2009
critical blizzard on Oct 14, 2013 wrote:
you already get ranked pvp and pet derbies crowns buyers have to buy pet derby and ranked pvp day entries and only get to post in here for one month after buying crowns
Yes, but I wouldn't call that an "award" it's more of an option. I don't PvP nor play in pet derby, membership is mostly for the opening of worlds so you can move on in questing. I think giving us free crowns is a bad idea, but small things like 7-day mounts would be nice, and maybe like 5 free henchman of your choice.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
gummybears000999 on Dec 29, 2013 wrote:
Yes, but I wouldn't call that an "award" it's more of an option. I don't PvP nor play in pet derby, membership is mostly for the opening of worlds so you can move on in questing. I think giving us free crowns is a bad idea, but small things like 7-day mounts would be nice, and maybe like 5 free henchman of your choice.
what your're suggesting is the the equivalent of crowns buyers asking for 2 days of member like access when purchasing 6 dollars or more worth of crowns

Defender
Feb 13, 2011
I have only used membership once from a gift card. But I am a crowns person. Some of us have only bought crowns and have spent a lot more than membership people and are treated like free players. It would be ideal for people to get all the membership benefits except the areas after they have spent a certain amount of money.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
Anyone that says that Wizard101 would be a better game because of this should realize that KI isn't trying for that. They're trying for a fun, kid-friendly game (kids don't have money). They get awards from that too as shown here: https://www.wizard101.com/game/reviews-awards I think that KI should keep as the way it is, members already get enough. Though you are right about giving crowns not hurting KI, they will not be earning as much as they are now. Since you guys are obsessed with proof, here's mine that they won't be earning as much money:

(Membership) $9.95 + (They also decide to buy crowns) $5= $14.95

(Membership) $9.95 + (They would've bought crowns, but they already get them for free :/) $0= $9.95

Now, which one's more? Yes, the top one! They earn more money with the first way. Was that enough proof for you? Also, people who get crowns/cards will be treated unfairly. I might agree if this idea was changed a little to include people who spend a set amount of money on the game in general and the added benefits weren't too expensive (like items/pets/smaller amount of crowns). That is just my opinion. I also agree with the people who think we should shut this discussion. It is just bringing out the immaturity and hostility in all of us.

~Magic Music

P.S. Please remember that these are opinions (which were asked for). We all have them. Nobody is right or wrong.

Just remember this quote: "Girls, girls, you're both pretty."

Survivor
Jul 27, 2012
I like this idea but they need to make money. I don't think we should get too much crowns but this is what I recommend:

2nd consecutive month as a member: 200 crowns or 1 life, 1 storm level 90 henchmen (pick one)

3rd consecutive month as a member: From your secondary school (I.E. I'm a necromancer but I used most of my training points until now to train in storm up to stormzilla, but now I can't get any higher in storm) get the next level spell if possible, or 200 crowns.

4th consecutive month as a member: Next level spell in your secondary school, or 300 crowns.

If these are added, that would be great. Also can anyone tell me if there is another storm school that's not in ravenwood (in example: balance school in KT). If there is one, please let me know because I want to get more spells in storm instead of just stormzilla. I realize that storm is my favorite school and I love the spells, but I'm already level 51 and don't want to take all this time to level up again without finishing the necromancer first. Sorry kind of went off-topic, but yeah the consecutive month rewards would be great as long as they don't exceed 400 crowns at once.

Survivor
Jan 22, 2013
I think that members should receive certain prizes for paying for membership. I have seen this idea mentioned before, but this is what I think it should be like.

First off, I think members shouldn't start getting prizes until they have subscribed for at least 6 months. Secondly, every 6 months after that, members could start getting even more benefits for subscribing. Thirdly, you would receive these prizes every month.

This is what it would be like...

6 months of membership: 250 crowns
one random pack(not including mega snack pack)
one random pet snack(this could include mega snack)

1 year of membership: 500 crowns
two random packs(not including mega snack pack)
two random snacks(this could include mega snack)

1 year and 6 months of membership: 750 crowns
three random packs(not including mega snack pack)
three random snacks(this could include mega snack)

2 years of membership: 1,000 crowns
four random packs(not including mega snack pack)
four random snacks(this could include mega snack)

It would keep going on like this for however long you had a membership. But, there would be a limit of no more than 1,250 crowns a month, no more than 5 random packs a month, and no more than 8 random snacks a month.

I hope you enjoyed reading this! Leave your comments below. I wanna hear your thoughts on this. :)

Cya in the Spiral!