Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

what's with all of the beggars

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
When someone comes up to me and ask to get a gift, I give them one. BUT it not what they were expecting. I give the gift of advice! I tell them to go ask their parents if there is a job they can do to earn money or if they know a way they could earn some money so they can spend it on this fun family game.

Explorer
Dec 01, 2012
The easiest way to stop a beggar is immediately ignore them. It helps a lot. The worst kind of beggar is one that you've been playing with for a long time, and become good friends with, but then they suddenly start begging, but you don't want to ignore or delete them because they're nice and a good friend. Can anyone help me make this decision?

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
With crowns comes great responsibility.

It's basically life. If you go into New York City you will probably find beggars in the Subway. And of course, this being a family game, you are going to have kids who do not quite understand how rude it is.

Survivor
May 27, 2009
Dr Von on Sep 26, 2013 wrote:
I am a level 90 wizard, who just so happens to collect mounts and, as a result, have several awesome ones from the packs. I also have a bunch of others that I bought for crowns or gold, plus a Malorian dragon (from a card that isn't available where I live and was gifted to me by one of my best in-game friends, who lives in the US).

Naturally, I get hounded with gifting requests any time I pass through the Commons. It's unfair that we should we have to be wary of wearing our cool stuff, just because someone *might* beg for crowns or gifts, so I'm grateful for the Ignore button... if only real life had one of those.

When someone asks for a gift, I tell them that:

1) I don't have crowns and was gifted the item by someone else, or
2) My parents disabled gifting on my account.

#1 is a white lie, and #2 is a huge lie: I'm an adult, and can enable gifting whenever I want. In fact, I like to gift my friends on their birthdays and holidays... but I work hard for my money and am not obligated to share any of it with someone I don't know from a hole in the wall.

/my 2 cents,

Laura S.
"von"
I respect you. I also do hate beggars, considering I was one! I used to beg all the time when I was very young playing this game. I dont do it anymore because its really annoying!

Madeline Summer, 47 wizard

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
Brandon SoulThief on Oct 5, 2013 wrote:
The easiest way to stop a beggar is immediately ignore them. It helps a lot. The worst kind of beggar is one that you've been playing with for a long time, and become good friends with, but then they suddenly start begging, but you don't want to ignore or delete them because they're nice and a good friend. Can anyone help me make this decision?
tell them to stop asking because you don't like it if there a good friend they will but if they a bad friend they wont then the best thing to do is warn them if you ask me one more time I will ignore you that wt I do

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
seekers74 on Sep 23, 2013 wrote:
I'm at the point that I dread going through the Commons (and from time to time other places too, it's happened in Dragonspyre) sometimes due to the fact that I'm often barraged with requests to gift someone with crowns or buy people things. Worse, sometimes I don't get the request until I've friended the person. Yes, I run a full class of six wizards who each have a mount. I ride a White Stag (from the Christmas gifts), a Frontier Dragon (for having an older account), a two-person Treant (on sale on St. Pat's Day), a Rickshaw (a card mount), a Blue Dragon (just because I like Dragons) and a Hawk (a card mount). I understand these are all impressive to some players, but it does not mean I have a lot of crowns to be buying other people things. I'm glad there is an ignore button and the option to switch Realms. Does anyone else feel this way?
yes, now I just tell 'em straight up! "No! I'm broke! even if I did have some I'm a greedy person!"

Jul 18, 2012
West DeathTalon on Dec 20, 2013 wrote:
yes, now I just tell 'em straight up! "No! I'm broke! even if I did have some I'm a greedy person!"
see the thing about them is that when they beg there just hoping someones nice enough to spend money on some stranger but that's what i just find funny because some people love this game so much and they feel bad cause when they buy crowns everyone asks if they have them.
of course they say yes cause there nice.
but what they don't understand is like how much of a waste it was
the best pvp school ever 2,000 overlord ;)

Survivor
Jan 01, 2012
I agree with this. Yes I am aware i have a full page of mounts but that does not mean i have crowns every second. I have been playing for 2 years and had at least 500 people asking me for packs. What I mean by this is when people are begging for packs, they're really asking you to give your money away. Why you ask? Well you have to pay money to get crowns. So if you give crowns away its like throwing money out the window
Please Kings isle, will you fix this issue, I think it would be a great improvement for every wizard so no more people ask for packs. It would make me feel great to stay in the commons without all the begging.

Emily Ruby song

Survivor
Feb 11, 2013
(Get ready, this post may be long...)

Beggars are the most annoying thing on Wizard101,in my opinion. I'd never go realm hopping all day. It's just a waste of time. If anybody were to do that, they'd end up with maybe a sad pack. Beggars, though, can promise rewards in return, but don't trust them. If you are a beggar reading this, then stop. Every single time I go into the Commons, there is a beggar, saying "gift me" or "gift me and I'll gift you back." Don't they know, specially if they've done it before, that they are wasting their time? The older kids are teaching younger kids that it is ok to ask for money? Asking for stuff that costs crowns is like going on the street, watching people pass by, asking "hey get me a shirt please" or "give me some money please." Stop, we need to stop this by saying "gift me" in text chat not be allowed. Thank you for reading.

-Rebecca Misthunter level 90 life

Survivor
Aug 27, 2013
This morning, I was in the Hatchtery, and I asked this guy what he was looking for. He said "I'll take anything really" I was excited since he had a Polar Fox which I am still looking for by the way, then he says "But I need a Hatching Elixir, then I will hatch." Then this guy, I think he buys him one and then they go and hatch. Seriously, you don't "NEED" one, you "WANT" one. Two different things, don't go around asking people for things you don't need. If you need it, we can understand, but no.

Explorer
Oct 26, 2012
OK so here is my story on beggars. I was walking in the Commons going to the Bazarr and I had on full crown shop gear I only did it because of spells, anyways then I turned to go to pet pavilion instead of the bazarr because I just though of the gear I had on! And right before I was about to go ahead of prospector zeke a TON TON of people ran up to me at the same time saying. GIFT ME GIFT ME GIFT ME GIFT ME! and then I was like no no and no. it gets really annoying!

Survivor
Dec 19, 2010
I just start ignoring everyone around who's bubble has the chat "can you gift me." I also ignore all the people who go around asking "can you take me to?" Finally, anyone who goes around saying "I need a boy" or "I need a girl." Please remember this is just a game and you should really be ashamed of yourself for trying to start a creepy dating relationship with someone online who you have no real info on.

Survivor
Dec 29, 2008
This has happened to me a lot recently. The most recent situation was when I was questing around Marleybone and a random guy came up and asked me if I "wanted a boy". When I declined, he insisted I gift him a mount for "breaking his heart". I just put him on ignore and switched realms :P

Explorer
Jan 03, 2013
This has happened to me every now and then what I do is I say no or I walk away one time someone followed me so I said no he kept pestering me with friend requests and and I kept declining finally I ignored him. My way to get around beggars is to stay in another world like Krok or marlybone or to always stay in a "perfect" realm I only go to a crowded realm when I want to find someone who is doing the same quest as me so mainly bosses yeah... Also has anyone ever see this one player who kept saying one thing over and over like a tv ad I think it was like go to so and so website and buy this and or that finally after 27 times I ignored him. Also one person mention about the mount for tc, I once was almost pulled into this scam I had a storm lord tc and frost giant but I knew a little about the scammers so I sorta messed with him I put both in the tc trading window he put down that he was ready then I "accidentally" closed out I did that twice and finally he went away. Just recently I told someone who was about to get pulled into this scam that it was a scam and not to do it. I am not for sure if he listened to me or not.

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
There's a difference between "asking", and "begging". I've done and faced both. Now that I have the awesome power of crowns I don't do it. I hold the power!! Begging is an annoying form of harassment and I guess could be reportable. If the action is repeated over and over, ignore the beggar and move on. If an individual asks once and does not continue to ask, they're fine. They could just possibly be curious to see what it's like. Just say no to said beggar, or don't respond at all. Very simple, no? If you're feeling generous, go ahead and give them something, not my decision. If it were myself, I wouldn't gift a total stranger I do not know. If they're my friend, I might consider gifting them if its something worth gifting.
There should be no reason for an individual to feel scared to travel to the commons at any time, even for something like begging. The realms I go to are almost always scarce of beggars, with the rare exception at times. My advice: ignore the beggars, switch realms, ask the beggars to leave, or don't respond, say you are going AFK, or something else. Maybe ask them to come to your castle and gift them there, then kick them out? I don't know where they'd end up though. Probably back at the commons.

Goodbye, Bob says hello.

Survivor
Mar 02, 2013
Beggars don't bother me at all. I usually run through the commons so fast anyways. Sometimes I even let on that I may have coins just to see how people respond. Sometimes I will attract beggars and other times no one seems to care. But, they don't bother me in the slightest.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2013
Hey guys I met a beggar by the name of Elizabeth Lifeflame She was going up to anyone who had crowns gear asking for a hairdo. Literally everyone said "I don't have crowns," It was quite funny until she got to me as I was typing she tried to friend me which put me over the top friending someone to get something? So I retyped "I am NOT going to gift you!" It is so annoying when people want something from another person through begging and friending. Really Kingsisle should either ban gifting or the phrase gift me. Another person (there were like 5 people begging only the one asked me) was asking people to gift her tc no offence you can't gift tc unless it is through a card pack or she meant trade, with out you getting any your self. Some other people were doing a form of begging they were trying to get people to help them on pagoda saying "I have pagoda who wants to help me?" Another person kept saying, "I WANT A SWORD, any sword, I am level 10." (last part in menu chat) I hope someone changes this because it takes away from the actual game. Someone else just said "Gift me free etc." What does that even mean? I hope this problem is solved soon.

Tarlac Owldreamer Level 35 Fire Wizard
"If you want to beg, live on the side of the road."

Defender
Dec 12, 2012
BlazeTaleweaver on Dec 31, 2013 wrote:
This has happened to me every now and then what I do is I say no or I walk away one time someone followed me so I said no he kept pestering me with friend requests and and I kept declining finally I ignored him. My way to get around beggars is to stay in another world like Krok or marlybone or to always stay in a "perfect" realm I only go to a crowded realm when I want to find someone who is doing the same quest as me so mainly bosses yeah... Also has anyone ever see this one player who kept saying one thing over and over like a tv ad I think it was like go to so and so website and buy this and or that finally after 27 times I ignored him. Also one person mention about the mount for tc, I once was almost pulled into this scam I had a storm lord tc and frost giant but I knew a little about the scammers so I sorta messed with him I put both in the tc trading window he put down that he was ready then I "accidentally" closed out I did that twice and finally he went away. Just recently I told someone who was about to get pulled into this scam that it was a scam and not to do it. I am not for sure if he listened to me or not.
Actually one time I purposely fell for a scam in the commons just so the other people would listen. this is how it went

Scammer: Who wants a gift?
Strangers: I do
Scammer: ok give me tc and i will gift
Me: Do not do it its a trick
Scammer: no it not
Me: fine add me i'll give a tc
So i try to give him firecat XD
Scammer: HEY better tc
Me: fine
So i go to bazaar and buy firebats
Me: take this firebats it is rare (lie, it not rare at all)
So he takes it
Scammer: what do you want
Me: give me a hydra pack
Scammer: ok
then he leaves and removes me
Me: see guys it was a trick

Explorer
Jan 08, 2011
I'm reluctant on going to the commons even without beggars. I'm not the social type of person. I have a tight circle of friends whom I trust with all my heart, and I've made it a game by spam-gifting packs to them XD
Anyway, yeah. I don't exactly like beggars. Considering the rare times I'm actually in the commons, I'm usually completely silent and observe the odd conversations that happen, but the beggars can be pretty funny.

Survivor
Apr 17, 2013
i'm a nice huy so if i'm in a good mood i might gift beggers but i hate it when beggers try to scam you (when you gift them and they say they didn't get anything so you gift them again) so now i'm starting to just say no but then they say they will report me and a irl friend said to just tell them to go ahaed and try

fred deathshade 23

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
I have four mounts and I had one friend that as soon as I friended him he asked for crowns. I said no, then he said "your worthless" and unfriended me and left. Its kind of sad too, I saw a beggar and he had full crowns gear and a hydra mount and still begged people it was really sad that some people give crowns which you earn with REAL money, its like going in real life and asking people randomly for money.

Survivor
Dec 01, 2013
yes it annoys me but i normally just ignore them [beggers] but when there my friends thats when they start to really annoy me.

Dustin Skullthorn lvl 16 and a 1/2 /

Survivor
Nov 17, 2011
Here's something to think about:
Computers cost hundreds of dollars
Internet costs a lot of money per year
So if they can spend that much money to simply play the game, why can't they spend 10$ on a card?
Yes, I understand that some people can't buy such luxuries, or their parents simply wont let them.
But they of all people should understand that people aren't made of crowns/money.
Italics wont come off, so my post will be in italics now. :/
I usually laugh when people ask for a gift and threaten to report. I find it funny.
Begging in general, to me, is a joke.

Defender
Jan 31, 2010
Heck, I've had a friend or 2 come to me while I was doing something at my house in-game and ask if I had crowns... I told them no, I was out... The first time I ever gifted people was the last time... I was left with almost no crowns for myself, but the gifts were to good friends who had helped me out and I told them I'd give them a pack or 2 when I got the crowns for it... I have even turned off my friend requests since going into Wizard City seems to provoke all the low levels to attempt to become friends with me... I'll make friends with anyone who is at least in Dragonspyre... Any lower and you can forget it... These days, the commons have thinned out and there aren't as many beggars though I suspect they decided to attempt to take advantage of people playing Pirate101 and just went there... When these beggars come back, I will tell them no and that I don't gift... I prefer to spend my crowns on things I want...

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
A fun way to get rid of beggars and earn profit:
1. Find a beggar.
2. When they ask for items, say; 'Well, I'm low on treasure cards and I was going to buy a pack for myself, but if you can give me some treasure cards, I can gift you a pack."
3. If they refuse, either walk away, or if you're feeling in an evil mood, press it further and say; "I'm giving you a real money item for some cards. Isn't that a great deal?" If they don't refuse, skip this step.
4. Once they fork over the TCs, abscond with them while laughing evilly. Sell TCs for profit or use them in battle.