Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Skeptical "Magic"

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 15, 2008
What I'm proposing is a kind of magic that would oppose Balance magic and would be available exclusively only to monsters. This is my logic. Because Ravenwood school is a school for magic, I think it would be incorrect for Revenwood to teach Skeptics because, or at least in my mind, skeptical magic would be the absence of magic. And since we're wizards, I don't think we should be able to use it. For monsters, this magic should only be given to those monsters that make sense for them being skeptical of magic, such as the scratchers of Marleybone for example because their main attack is supposed to be scratching not magic.

In terms of power, Skeptics should have a base damage similar to storm. I say this because skeptical "magic" shouldn't be able to use balance blades or any other form of blades, traps, auras because those are magic boosters. The only boost I'd allow are sun school boosts because they don't cause any sort of magical aura, blade, or trap to appear out of thin air. Skeptical wizards should have to rely solely on their skepticism alone. Skeptical magic should be given 85% accuracy due to the lack of anything to boost their spells.

If I were told I would need to make an actual school with this. I would keep all of the above about the power of he school. The trainer would be some shady character that exists in all main-line worlds (like prospecter Zeke) instead of having any sort of set school. Like the balance trainer in Revenwood but in every world. Skeptical wizards should have clothing that gives very high boosts to make up for the lack of blades or traps. The only magic boost they'd be given is a convert. They should have moderate health, because it's only fair. And their wands are exclusively mundane objects that can only be used for the skeptical school because skeptical school cannot use other school's wands.

In terms of actual spells, I can't think up of any creative ones, but I'd imagine skeptical spells to be similar to bow and arrow wand or sword wand attacks but much stronger. The stronger skeptical spells should give random dispels as extras. Of course these spells would use pips because it would weird if Skeptical "wizards" had to use some other system compared to current wizards.

I'd appreciate feedback,

Valkoor Shadowcaster, Archmage Necromancer

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Defender
Jul 02, 2009
Hold up. If these "skeptical wizards" were wizards, they wouldn't be wizards. Right? They hate magic. So they wouldn't be wizards. And second, if its exclusive to monsters, then why are you talking about there being a teacher? And gear for this stuff? Seems confusing to me.

Survivor
Dec 15, 2008
You bring up an excellent point. I really thin this magic should be reserved for monsters only. The stuff about wizards and trainers and spells was only my thoughts if it were to become a revenwood school magic. But, yeah, it should just be for enemies.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
So something like Elexorien.

Dispel All, three flavors of weakness, and fortify.

YOu can almost hear her saying, "Pish tosh! Summon cyclops? They don't exist. See?" *dispel*

or "All that mumbo-jumbo and hand waving has nothing to do with reality. Magic words are just there to distract the gullible, they can't actually make someone's robes catch on fire." *weakness*

"I'm waiting...where's this big thunderbolt supposed to come from?" *fortify*

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
So are some of the melee attacks we use that come with our wands thought of as skeptical magic? Like when I use the sword of kings. I chuck the sword at the enemy. Does that stuff count?

Survivor
Aug 15, 2009
balance hasn't been doing particularly well in pvp lately. not sure if it's necessary.