Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 8-17-13

AuthorMessage
Administrator
It's Friday, so let's just get down to business! ::grin::

Fire, Storm, Balance, Death, Ice, Life, Myth... you've been asked to pick one of these main seven schools of focus. Then, in Celestia, we introduced Astral magic, the Sun, Moon, and Stars schools, which anyone can learn for the cost of training points.

If there was a new type of magic, and it was up to you to dream it up, what would it be? Would it be the eighth school (so you had to choose that as your main school), or would it be like Astral magic (anyone can learn it in addition to your main school)
?

Looking forward to hearing your ideas, everyone. Have a great weekend, Wizards!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Survivor
Jan 01, 2013
Well i think this would be a main school. In wysteria there is the school, chaos, for myth but i was thinking that would be the opposite balance has been waiting for. the only problem, i dont know how you guys would fit that in. but i do think it would be an amazing twist for there to be an opposite to balance

Jasmine SparkleHeart

Survivor
May 29, 2013
Hmm... I would like something like "Unbalance" Or "Universe" Or something
If it were a main school my best idea is Unbalance, Oppisite of Balance and similar Stats
Starting health: 450

Attack: Strength as much as a Myth wizard

Accuracy: 80%

Image: It's a Thing thats Black, Not brown.

And for a Astral Spell, i would go with A Black Sun.
Basicly it is similar to star expect you cast it on another Foes and it weakens them, For example: "-15% Attack for 3 Turns" Or something

I hope this helps!

Andrew, Level 29

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
Professor Falmea on Aug 16, 2013 wrote:
It's Friday, so let's just get down to business! ::grin::

Fire, Storm, Balance, Death, Ice, Life, Myth... you've been asked to pick one of these main seven schools of focus. Then, in Celestia, we introduced Astral magic, the Sun, Moon, and Stars schools, which anyone can learn for the cost of training points.

If there was a new type of magic, and it was up to you to dream it up, what would it be? Would it be the eighth school (so you had to choose that as your main school), or would it be like Astral magic (anyone can learn it in addition to your main school)
?

Looking forward to hearing your ideas, everyone. Have a great weekend, Wizards!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!
If there were to be a new school, I'd do one like astral. It wouldn't be exactly fair for older wizards because they may have all their slots filled up, and don't have time for a new person. Here are my ideas

School- Sacrifice (rename spell maybe)
What it does-
It would be something like kill self to bring other to full health.
That may not work so.....
School- Gravity (stick with space theme, most likely my main idea)
Maybe it would remove shield on opponent, or maybe even you, then it would bring the shield in the middle of the circle floating in the air. Then you could take It at any time. Of course, other spells would be included, not just that, but I think it may have a chance of working. Maybe on yourself and enemies, but not on friends because that may lead to mean players taking other's shields away. Anybody but enemies can take the shield out of the middle. Including friends. Maybe you could do this with blades and traps too.

The symbol could be a hand lifting up. It would be a change, and the icon on a card would be a shield in the air.

Just my 2 cents. ;D

-Molly level 73 school of balance

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
It seems like most suggestions I've seen elsewhere are already small parts of existing schools of magic. Earth is Life, Dark is Death, Water is Storm.

The only truly original idea I can think of is Time magic. Gretta Darkettle on Firecat Alley said that she used to teach Alchemy, so I guess that's what the practice would be called.

I cant really think of a tactic broad enough for it to be a primary school, so it'll probably have to be secondary. The spells I thought up for it were meant to fit the idea of manipulating time. One spell would cause the side that goes first to change, effective at the start of next round. There would be a spell that allows you to swap positions on the duel circle with someone else on your side, the arrow would continue pointing at your old spot, so he could still cast his spell. You would pass when the arrow gets to you, or he would if you switched with someone that came before you. Another would all cause participants to randomly change positions. The arrow would go back to the start of your side, and go through again, with anything that already cast a spell passing. There would be three versions, one that only affects friends, one that only effects enemies, and one that effects both. A final one would cause the arrow to reverse direction. It would spin backwards until it reaches the end of the enemy team, they cast their spells in reverse order, (if your side goes first, otherwise they just pass) and then it goes back to allow anyone after you to cast their spells. Casting it again would return the turn order to normal. There could be a permanent version, and one that only effects the round in which it was cast To keep things clear on the rotation direction for the permanent one, the cloud like texture in the middle would also reverse the direction it spins, and probably also be mirror imaged to ensure its "spiral" still makes sense.

I know that seems like a lot of code to write, but you did ask a pretty big question.

Survivor
Mar 21, 2009
There could be a a Time school that affects the battle rink and manipulate enemies

-Luke Duskbreath

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
I would love to see either Music or Light. I think it would make a great 8th school to choose when you start your adventure! Both schools could focus on Intermediate damage - kind of like Myth is - and focus on buffs as well. I can image the school colors being mainly White and trim Yellow. :)

Survivor
Aug 25, 2009
Sky and void magic! Void opposes myth and wind opposes storm.
Sky wizards harness the power of the mysterious force of the sky to uplift the spirits of their teammates. They specialize in all enemy attacks, stunning, buffs, and minor defense. They have outstanding accuracy but weak damage. Some of their spells can remove enemy wards, and others can remove wards directly before attacking. They also gain access to several (bubble) spells (balefrost, time of legend, etc) that focus on boosts of accuracy, defense, attack, power pips, critical and block ratings, and even pierce rating. They are great team players, and their main focus is helping their teammates and themselves hit easily and hit hard. They are an elemental school and oppose storm because while the storm school is about hitting with massive, ruthless power, the school of wind focuses on supporting their teammates while not dealing much damage themselves. Their school colors are pink and white.

Void wizards harness their psychic energy to cast bizzare and wacky spells. This school is based heavily on luck. They gain spells regarding accuracy and critical/block rating. Many of their spells have side effects, some of them differing. One spell, savage wildclaw, can either weaken the opponent, do an extra amount of damage, or leave a buff on the opponent. They have fairly high health, less than average toughness, decent accuracy, decent defense, and great power pips. Their spells have no particular recurring theme, as the only theme is the weirdness of the mind. They oppose myth not because they are different, but because they are alike. Both summon strange creatures to attack, but while myth brings forth the power of ancient lore, void brings out the power of ones own mind and its inner darkness and mystery. It is a spirit school. Their school colors are dark purple and green.

Thanks for reading! I had these ideas a while ago and thought they would be interesting additions :) thanks again! -Rogan Hawkbreath

Survivor
Jan 22, 2013
Hmmm, well, I would go with another "astral type" school. Unlike adding a eighth main school, it would be much more helpful and a lot less confusing. Adding another main school is nearly impossible at this point in the game. I mean it's doable, but it would take lots of time and work.

Grace Silverdust Level 82

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
I don't know. I would say having wind as an 8th school maybe. Using all flying creatures and tornado,hurricane spells.
I guess storm is close to this but I don't know what else to mention atm.

Squire
May 10, 2013
Defender
Jul 02, 2009
This might not be a good idea. Well I'll say it anyway I guess. How about hybrid schools? Like fire and ice make the steam school. Or death and life make the decay school. Or would this just be something that balance already encompasses? I don't know.

Survivor
Nov 26, 2012
hello

if I could come up with a new school I would call it the school of mind

in the school they would use mind control to take over others. I would imagin the school to be dark and gloomy kind of like death but not really :P.

and spells with gloom. just having a tuff time picture it but I hope someone can help me with it.

Scarlet Ravensword level 54

See You In The Spiral

Survivor
Jul 13, 2012
I believe there should be the school of, Wind the colors being white and silver, a lovely Proffeser named Salamond Brisktower, should do the trick, and the school hidden within Azteca.
"The Spiral holds many secrects." Erin B.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Since many players have multiple accounts with full classrooms already, I would have to say make it something everyone can learn unless our classrooms are expanded to hold a couple more students. I would not create a third account just to have the eighth school.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
I believe a time school would be completely original.

Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
Since balance combines all the schools, I think that its opposite would be void - nothing from any of the schools. As it stands now, my favorite part of the schools is the mythology and folklore about them, their story. To me, that's more important than what the school actually is.

I really liked what I read about the MooShu approach to magic: swords and prayers, inner peace, etc. I think "Time" would be a good school, but that might be hard to think up spells for. Using the new school as a main school instead of a trainable one is much better, in my opinion. It opens up more story, a new professor, and can still be trainable as a secondary school for another wizard... and I'd be interested in all the new combinations that could arise from it. Balance+time, Fire+time, etc. Just make sure it has a mastery amulet!

Survivor
Jan 11, 2013
the school of power, as another astral type school. the entire basis of the power school is to gather enough energy and force to knock out your opponent as quickly as possible. they have strong blades, strong traps, and have the ability to reverse an attack that the opponent gives, such as a stronger beguile. because of this, these spells are no pvp and astral enchantments do not work on them!

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
If you go with another Astral school of magic, it would have to be a pretty darn helpful school because there are already so many useful Astral spells that I really don't need or have space for any more of them.

So my vote is for a completely new school of magic. I guess it might be the opposite school of balance or maybe it's own thing, like Balance is, with nothing to do with the other schools. Some kind of crazy school opposite of balance might be a lot of fun. Certainly creating an entire new school of magic would be a ton more work than just making a new Astral school of magic.

One idea I had would be at a certain level, mayb

With 8 schools of magic would you change the max wizard limit to seven? So many of us already have filled all our wizard slots and I doubt many would be willing to open a new account just to try a new school of magic.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2013
Either the Space School, or the Matter School. They're both the same thing.

Definately like the Astral schools. I don't have enough room for an eighth school, and you'd practically have to re-write the whole story to make it work.

The purpose of the school of Matter (I think I like that better!) or Hyolegy (Hyle is the Greek word for matter) is like a larger scale of Star Magic. In other words, is creates those things like Wyldfire and Time of Legend, you know those things. There are a wider selection of these in this school. There are also spells which increase the potency of these Global spells.

The symbol of Hyolegy is a square inside a circle. It is studied by Hyolegists. I hope you like my idea.

Survivor
Aug 06, 2009
It would be cool if there were a school of technology, its colors could be grey and brown and there starting spell could be tech mouse its animation could be a wind-up mouse that has red eyes and shoots out gears. it would be awesome if the made an eighth wizard slot too.

Blaze ashblood lvl.63

Delver
Feb 28, 2012
Wind / air. Make it the opposite of balance.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
I actually thought of something and I hope a lot of people see this and comment. the new school that I thought of was, the school of energy.

energy wizards use the energy from pretty much anything as long as it is giving off energy. an example would be a fire, all the energy its giving off is the reason why its so hot. energy wizards can take advantage of that energy and turn it into something new, and that's where they would get there magical powers from, from anything in the world that has energy flowing through it. they can even slow down and speed up the particals in the air to create things other wizards can not. that is what makes them so unique.

school colors are red and white(if these are the colors for the balance school plz tell me)
normal accuracy is 80%
spell damage is in between myth and fire
there spells are kinda like balance mixed with fire(not in spell animation) so they can either hit hard if they choose to or they can be a help to the team, not as much as a balance wizard but there always good to have around.

so that's my idea of a new school I hope you guys like it.

Survivor
Sep 16, 2008
I think that a new school itself would be a far more interesting addition to the game rather than another secondary school, like the Astral Schools.

As someone who has played from near the beginning, I've always found the base schools interesting (with myself owning a wizard in each school except Myth. Poor school, it really deserves something to lift it up a bit).
When the Sun, Moon, and Star school spells were introduced, I was amazed, but not overly excited. Yes, they were three new schools, but they were secondary and with limited effects.
The Moon School is essentially useless to most players, and the decent Star School spells are basically unreachable until level 84 (the animations on those look really awesome, by the way. Especially Chastisement, Punishment, Reliquary, and Cycle of Life). They were cool, but only for a shortwhile, as everyone could use them.

My point is, is that people found the uses from the three Astral Schools and completely ignored and forgot about the other aspects of it, thus rendering them useless. They're used as intended - damage boosters and defense boosts and such, so they're nothing special or exciting.

On the other hand, a new school, unlike the Astral Schools, would really be a game changer. It would bring a new and interesting lore to the game, and I would create a wizard for it in a heartbeat.

People have suggested Time - that's a good idea, but Arcane, the very power of magic itself, rather than focusing on a specific element like fire or ice, would also be fairly interesting as well.

Survivor
Nov 14, 2008
Jacob IronEyes on Aug 19, 2013 wrote:
First, i have The School of Chaos. This school would become Balance's natural opposite, letting balance finally get a convert. This schools main focus would be dealing heavy damage to all enemies. It would have a 70% accuracy rating like storm, but average with 5-10% less base health.

The school to complete this triangle is the School of Time. This school's natural opposite will be the School of Stars (i'll talk about that later). This school's specialty would be surviving by having spells that kind of undo things. I.E. they'd have a spell that would act like a ward, but would reflect half the enemies damage. I thought this would fit in to time cause it would be like the wizard going back in time, to revert the damage done. Their health would be good, but not better than ice.

The other three schools would be to add the astral schools as main schools of focus. Sun would focus on enchanting charms, but would have attacks like Solar Flare (a flare from the sun hits all enemies), or sunspot (a ward to leave a DoT effect on the next person to attack you). Moon would be the opposite to sun. They'd focus on cloning the other types, though they'd have spells like High Tide, (The moon causes an ocean to rise and engulf all enemies), and Blinding Night, (a transformation that blinds the enemies causing damage and leaving a lingering aura that lowers accuracy for 4 rounds). Finally there is the star school. Their opposite is the school of time. Before you say oh how are they opposites, ask yourself if it makes sense that storm and myth are opposites. Star school would basically be a bubble school. They could have auras that help the team, and weaken the enemy team. They'd have attacks like Constellation, (a constellation of stars floats on the field dealing damage), and Solar Nebula, (A cloud of dust covers the field and lowers all enemies accuracy, damage, and resistance for 4 rounds)."
This is a post i made a little while ago about new schools.

Edit: I later changed chaos to havoc because chaos is the myth school in wysteria.
First, i have The School of Chaos. This school would become Balance's natural opposite, letting balance finally get a convert. This schools main focus would be dealing heavy damage to all enemies. It would have a 70% accuracy rating like storm, but average with 5-10% less base health.

The school to complete this triangle is the School of Time. This school's natural opposite will be the School of Stars (i'll talk about that later). This school's specialty would be surviving by having spells that kind of undo things. I.E. they'd have a spell that would act like a ward, but would reflect half the enemies damage. I thought this would fit in to time cause it would be like the wizard going back in time, to revert the damage done. Their health would be good, but not better than ice.

The other three schools would be to add the astral schools as main schools of focus. Sun would focus on enchanting charms, but would have attacks like Solar Flare (a flare from the sun hits all enemies), or sunspot (a ward to leave a DoT effect on the next person to attack you). Moon would be the opposite to sun. They'd focus on cloning the other types, though they'd have spells like High Tide, (The moon causes an ocean to rise and engulf all enemies), and Blinding Night, (a transformation that blinds the enemies causing damage and leaving a lingering aura that lowers accuracy for 4 rounds). Finally there is the star school. Their opposite is the school of time. Before you say oh how are they opposites, ask yourself if it makes sense that storm and myth are opposites. Star school would basically be a bubble school. They could have auras that help the team, and weaken the enemy team. They'd have attacks like Constellation, (a constellation of stars floats on the field dealing damage), and Solar Nebula, (A cloud of dust covers the field and lowers all enemies accuracy, damage, and resistance for 4 rounds)."
This is a post i made a little while ago about new schools.

Edit: I later changed chaos to havoc because chaos is the myth school in wysteria.