Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Balance 1v1 Strategy/ Help!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 09, 2013
Hi guys! Recently in my free time I have been doing ranked matches because I so badly want the robe that you can get at warlord (which is a very popular item IMO because I now see a lot of them). I am a level 80 balance wizard. My rank is sergeant. But I have a problem, I loose just about the same amount of the time I win, and its very annoying bouncing back and forth from corporal and sergeant. I don't know whether its my strategy or gear or something else. I guess I'll just tell you my gear and strategy and maybe someone can give some helpful corrections.

Gear: All waterworks gear (28 resist to all, low block (100), 65 damage, 0 accuracy to all, lexicon blade)

Strategy: I don't really have a formal strategy but this is what I mainly do, tower shield first to prevent too much damage (but they end up take it off so idk if that's helping), mana burn when they get a lot of pips to inflict major damage and to remove any tower shields, occasionally use some colossal spectral blasts to again take off shields and deal quite a but of damage, use balance blade, sharpened balance blade, blade storm, sharpened blade storm (my pet gives 2 sharpened blade cards), along with a 75% feint and a 30% hex, then, if they don't tower shield, I'll use judgement with full power pips (I have a 100% chance). I use infallible to cut out some of their resist and that helps but it's not needed because I can hit over 18,000 damage. Now most of the time I am either too impatient or just don't want to risk all the rounds it takes to put those blades and traps on so I will just judgment with less than 7 power pips. I don't bother with weakness or the spell that minuses healing by 50%. So that's it, what do you think? Lol.

IMO, every school has something that is annoying in pvp:

Ice: spams frostbite, snow angel, tower shield, too much health XD
Fire: Efreet, fire dragon, heck hound (all very powerful and efreet gives -90%)
Myth: ugh! Spams stun, medusa, basilisk, thank gosh not too many earthquakes
Death: this school is annoying because right when I am about to kill, they use dr Von which heals them and does a bunch of damage to me! Grrr! This school has many blades.
Life: umm, I haven't fought a life wizard in pvp XD but I bet they can put up a fight due to their attacks, many heals and a ton of health
Storm: these wizards I find the easiest because they only have about 2500 health, but they can also critical and kill you in one hit. (I fought one who spammed wild bolt, did 1500 every time, was dead after the third round)
Balance: umm not too hard except they always mana burn me while I am saving up for judgement, as well as spam weakness and tc weakness! Ugh! Oh ya and availing hands! Lol.

I do carry cleanse charm treasure cards, incase of a weakness.

Thanks to anyone who actually reads all of this XD

Defender
Sep 19, 2010
MasterSorcerer653 on Aug 10, 2013 wrote:
Hi guys! Recently in my free time I have been doing ranked matches because I so badly want the robe that you can get at warlord (which is a very popular item IMO because I now see a lot of them). I am a level 80 balance wizard. My rank is sergeant. But I have a problem, I loose just about the same amount of the time I win, and its very annoying bouncing back and forth from corporal and sergeant. I don't know whether its my strategy or gear or something else. I guess I'll just tell you my gear and strategy and maybe someone can give some helpful corrections.

Gear: All waterworks gear (28 resist to all, low block (100), 65 damage, 0 accuracy to all, lexicon blade)

Strategy: I don't really have a formal strategy but this is what I mainly do, tower shield first to prevent too much damage (but they end up take it off so idk if that's helping), mana burn when they get a lot of pips to inflict major damage and to remove any tower shields, occasionally use some colossal spectral blasts to again take off shields and deal quite a but of damage, use balance blade, sharpened balance blade, blade storm, sharpened blade storm (my pet gives 2 sharpened blade cards), along with a 75% feint and a 30% hex, then, if they don't tower shield, I'll use judgement with full power pips (I have a 100% chance). I use infallible to cut out some of their resist and that helps but it's not needed because I can hit over 18,000 damage. Now most of the time I am either too impatient or just don't want to risk all the rounds it takes to put those blades and traps on so I will just judgment with less than 7 power pips. I don't bother with weakness or the spell that minuses healing by 50%. So that's it, what do you think? Lol.

Death: this school is annoying because right when I am about to kill, they use dr Von which heals them and does a bunch of damage to me! Grrr! This school has many blades.
Life: umm, I haven't fought a life wizard in pvp XD but I bet they can put up a fight due to their attacks, many heals and a ton of health
Storm: these wizards I find the easiest because they only have about 2500 health, but they can also critical and kill you in one hit. (I fought one who spammed wild bolt, did 1500 every time, was dead after the third round)
Balance: umm not too hard except they always mana burn me while I am saving up for judgement, as well as spam weakness and tc weakness! Ugh! Oh ya and availing hands! Lol.

Balance is the only school I'm not warlord in, so this advice is more universal than school specific and probably someone else can give better, but generally no matter what school you are, you don't want to stack shields or cast them preemptively. Wait until they use a blade or trap, and match your shield to it; prevents them from easily removing without having to waste their buff. Don't use spells that take all your pips unless its a guranteed kill. Don't blade any more than you have to, you want to get off quick moderate damage attacks to keep them healing(The exception being if they have a pet that is abusing the heck out of fairy and sprite, thats the situation where super judge IS a good choice). I've never bothered with weakness all that much, but I suppose it can help if they are getting some very scary looking buffs on. Don't bother packing that many heals(just 2-3 availing hands) because once you start going defensive and healing and stuff, its a downhill slide from there.

Talon Talon Commander

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
MasterSorcerer653 on Aug 10, 2013 wrote:

First, get crafted block boots from Avalon. I'd suggest not building up to such a huge attack, hit with something like scorpion or blast to take out around half of their life, then judge with max pips (or close to max pips) while keeping infections on.

P.S. not a balance wizard

Wolf Skullslinger, Thaumaturge by Trade

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
I was Balance overlord in First Age of game. A lot has changed in new age but I think for 1v1 it makes sense to try to use lots of small pip hits like scorpion, spamming weakness and Supernova until time for judge.