Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 8-9-13

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Happy Friday Wizards! Another week has passed, the heat is in the triple digits here (just like I like it), and it's time for my favorite part of the week - Feedback Friday!

This week, I had a discussion with another Professor, and thought this was just the venue to get some feedback on the subject, so here goes:

What does it mean to you to be a good gaming citizen?
Please discuss below.

Thanks, as always for participating, and have a wonderful weekend! ::grin::

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Delver
Feb 28, 2012
1. Ask before joining a fight / dungeon / bossroom and wait for a positive answer.
2. Don't work swear words around the filter.
3. Say ty, yw, and similar polite phrases.
4. Don't ask a million times. ON ANYTHING!!
5. Please no afk in battles. And please pass instead of letting the timer count down to zero.

Mastermind
Feb 06, 2010
It means to be kind, considerate, helpful, and sportsmanlike. I have tried my best to. Sometimes I am harsh here on the boards. I may not be considerate sometimes but I do try. That's what I think it means. But the teacher gives the grade not the student. I have met a person named Mitchell Hexdreamer and he is a good gaming citizen. We played PvP and he was a great sportsman. I had to leave for Aquila while we were in Wysteria and he let me go but with words like take care and good luck which was very kind of him. I asked for help and he immediately helped. He fled and he came back ASAP. Go mitchell!

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
alright here's my opinion on the matter.. a good gaming citizen is one that does not actively seek to aggravate/bully/insult others. unfortunately, from what i've seen on multiple games(W101 included) there seem to be less and less people fitting this category... at least in the PVP area(other games aren't all pvp but it still is there). note that this does not include always porting when others ask you for help, as it stands that one will make others feel good but.... it'll get you aggravated and then you'll seek to let out that aggravation on other players(does not apply to all please disregard if it doesn't apply to you). those are my thoughts, any one else?

Explorer
Sep 28, 2010
To be a good gaming citizen for me is to always try to assist people in need, one day every week I stand by the Sunken City and run it again so be sure to look for Destiny Waterthief and feel free to add me! I have a spot on my friends list always open to low levels and high levels alike

A balanced life is essential for success..... until you become a storm wizard and blow stuff up!

Survivor
Jan 16, 2011
Hi Professor!

I am actually talking to a professor IRL! WOO!

OK, now that that excitement is over, let me state my statement.

I really don't know. I have made heaps of good friends in Wizard101, so I think it was a good experience, so I guess it makes me feel pretty good and social.

Yours Always,

Wolf IceRider - A Lover of Balance -

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Being a good gaming citizen can also coincide with good sportsmanship

- Being a more experienced player, I try to help others learn about the game, spells, pips, pets, gear, gardening, etc.
- I've helped wizards pick out new gear that would help them better in the game.

- I've helped wizards farm for gold to get new gear and to hatch pets.

- I've sat in the hatchery many times and hatched my best pets with wizards that didn't have very good ones, and offer to hatch with them again until they get talents they want.

- I try to be courteous to players and treat them with respect.

- I do my best to educate naughty players about the Terms of Use; that it isn't acceptable to break the rules and that rules exist for a reason: To keep the spiral safe and clean for everyone.

LOL. I know I have more, but it's late and I'm pretty tired. When I think of more, I'll post again

Survivor
Feb 18, 2012
Dear Professor Falmea, a good gamer citizen has manners,and doesn't rage quit basically.

Joseph Pixietamer level 11

Joseph Icestalker level 24

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
Well, a good gaming citizen is somebody who is very polite and knows how to be nice. They ask before helping somebody and is available to fight. They say thank you and your welcome. They don't get angry when you join a battle with them. They don't attract other enemies in battle and flee. They don't teleport to you unless you tell them to. They aren't negative about your fighting. They invite you to do other things with them.

Champion
Jun 30, 2009
Prof. Falmea,

I think the "sparks" of a good wizard, would be:

1. Someone willing to help others with the larger areas.
2. Someone that helps in battle by sharing buffs (like blades and shields), so that it helps infuse confidence in a
wizard that is lower or higher than yourself.
3. Teamwork. Many people like soloing to horde the experience, but when battling as a team, everyone should at
least have a chance to hit the major boss hey are facing.

Hope you were tickled a bit,
Timothy Pearlflower, L90

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
grahambhg on Aug 10, 2013 wrote:
1. Ask before joining a fight / dungeon / bossroom and wait for a positive answer.
5. Please no afk in battles. And please pass instead of letting the timer count down to zero.
Perfect!

Survivor
May 03, 2009
I have to agree with Grahanbhg. Asking to join, saying thank you and your welcome is nice. Helping people when you can.

I don't think not porting to someone every time they ask makes you a bad citizen, just means you are busy with other things.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
grahambhg on Aug 10, 2013 wrote:
A very fine list indeed.

Survivor
Jul 04, 2012
Be Respectful, dont ask to be someones friend over and over again just because they look cool or look like they have alot of crowns which leads me to my next point dont beg for anything!!!

Logan DeathWisper,Lvl 16

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
First of all, let me thank you for letting me know about the Sand Squid's drops Awesome of you not to leave us wondering about him.

Also, I agree with most of the people on the board. It's about good manners and helpfulness. The vast majority of the people I meet in the game are good Wizard101 citizens I think. Some are ... well - we've all met them.

I'm wondering what your thoughts were on the matter?

Thanks again

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
you do not have to ask to join a battle if you wanna go play some single player game go ahead but this is an mmo

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
critical blizzard on Aug 12, 2013 wrote:
you do not have to ask to join a battle if you wanna go play some single player game go ahead but this is an mmo
Earlier worlds, I'll agree with you. The enemies are quite simple.. However it's where we get into the second arc that people start liking when you ask as the enemies get a severe difficulty and AI increase. Dealing with 2 of them is hard enough but when someone joins your battle and causes another enemy to come in, it amounts to a lot of annoyance, especially if you get downed from it. Bottom line is this, while it's not expressly against the rules, it is considered polite(very polite), to ask before jumping into a fight.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
Joshua Starflame on Aug 13, 2013 wrote:
Earlier worlds, I'll agree with you. The enemies are quite simple.. However it's where we get into the second arc that people start liking when you ask as the enemies get a severe difficulty and AI increase. Dealing with 2 of them is hard enough but when someone joins your battle and causes another enemy to come in, it amounts to a lot of annoyance, especially if you get downed from it. Bottom line is this, while it's not expressly against the rules, it is considered polite(very polite), to ask before jumping into a fight.
I think it's also basic consideration. The fact is that most of us (when we first started playing the game) have been the reason why someone else's character got sent reeling back to the Commons. You jumped in - just like Diego suggested - and the other guy was already too near death and you drew in another foe, too. When that happens on Unicorn Way or Firecat Alley it's not that big of a deal - but if it happens in Marleybone it's - __ - gut wrenching.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Another one would be if you accidentally get pulled into a mob fight where there is already a wizard fighting, don't flee just because it isn't the fight you need for your quest. You have now drawn in another mob for the other wizard to fight, and you should feel obligated to stick it out and finish the fight.

People who pull another mob into a wizard's fight and then flee are truly the lowest class of person I can think of.

Explorer
Apr 10, 2010
1. Be polite
2. Be nice
3. If you cannot say anything nice just say nothing.
4. Help when you can.
5. Be firm in your decsions in who and when you help.
6. The golden rule " Do unto others as they would do unto you".
7. Ask before you join a fight. (yeah i know its an mmo)
8. Never use your higher level friends as a fire alarm. They want to work on their quests also.
9. Do not take kindness for weakness. If someone is kind to you they are not weak. (Making fun of someone on your friend list that will call for help and will always show up.)

My thoughts

pirate8375

Administrator
Great list everyone! I'll pass this around to the other Professors. New Feedback Friday coming up shortly!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea