Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Unfairness with the drops in Tartarus

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 18, 2008
Yes I am a exalted ice and have done Tartarus near 100 times I am getting very very tired of this dungeon and hades does not want to drop his unseen boots! Please help me

Survivor
Mar 05, 2011
Hunter Stormshade on Sep 9, 2013 wrote:
I totally agree with you Omiguy! I have battle them 34 times and no cinder plate. This needs to be fixed.

Hunter Stormshade lvl90
Wow. I-uh, guess it is unfair then. sorry

(P.s. I was the wizard guy! yo' friend Duncan Drakemancer out, PEACE!)
(P.p.s. sorry if i was harsh/hippie-like in my last post .

Survivor
Aug 05, 2012
Wow dude, chill. When I was doing Tartarus, i didn't notice that my backpack and my bank were both full so after we finished the 3 bosses, I got nothing. I didn't get this mad, I didn't get mad at all, lol.

Survivor
Aug 28, 2009
crunkatog on Aug 14, 2013 wrote:
Sometimes you get nothing, it's all RANDOM

People generally have a hard time dealing with chance in the universe. This game is driven by random number generators and people have a very difficult time coping with randomly getting less than they expect they deserve as a reward.

This is why a lot of myths and old wives' tales have sprung up around Waterworks, ToTH, Mirror Lake, et al.

Always break the rules. Never break the rules. Always go first. Always go last. Never pick up the kelp or the pearl. Never wear waterworks gear inside waterworks during a battle. Always wear waterworks gear inside waterworks during a battle. Never hit with a spell less than 5 pips. Flee and port back ASAP if you die. Never flee, always wait for a teammate to heal you, if you die. Do the eels, but mess up the clams. Do the clams, but mess up and fight the eels. Mess them both up and fight them all.

On, and on, and on. Most of them have an equally constraining and contradictory variant. I ran WW 26 times on one storm, and 32 times on another storm, before each got all his gear. All the variant tricks above had no apparent effect, and I found it more efficient just to avoid needless hassles and finish quickly.

It's as if the human mind craves purpose, and chance is devoid of purpose, it just happens this way or that. That is the most frustrating scenario for high achievers - people who understand that the most valuable resource in this game isn't gold, or crowns, it's TIME. And there's nothing they can do to get around the fact that the single biggest determinant of success is how many times you complete the dungeon. No shortcuts, no crowns option to remove the need to run Tartarus and Waterworks again, and again, and again.

It hurts. But there's nothing for it but to muster your friends and grab a drink and hit x again, and this time make sure you have PLENTY of space in your backpack for when (not if) you hit that jackpot.
This is completely true, I couldn't have said it better myself. People STILL believe in those hoaxes, just the other day I picked up the pearl because I didn't know people thought it would lower the drop rate, one guy got mad and went on the rant the rest of the time, I ended up getting the robe AND the boots that run.

There is no tricks, there is no cheats, there is no bypasses. All there is is to defeat the boss and swing the roulette to see what your prize is. Nothing more, nothing less. I wish people would start to realize that instead of making up things that they think could change the outcome of the rewards. That's just not how KingsIsle coded the game.

Explorer
Feb 05, 2011
I am so sorry to hear that you didn't get anything good on your first try. Of course, it will take a few tries to get the best drops. I don't know if I am extremely lucky, but I got the Hades' Hat on my first try. On my second try, I got Hades' Cloak. I have only done it twice, but I will continue to farm. I was hoping for the staff, since it's critical rating is INSANE! I think Tartarus is an extremely difficult dungeon, but it's definitely worth the challenge. I think you should do it five more times just to see if you get gear. I hope this helps, and good luck.
~Jared Shadowbreaker, Level 93 Life
"See ya in the Spiral!"

Squire
May 10, 2013
Omiguy on Aug 3, 2013 wrote:
This is UNBELIEVABLE!

I did Tartarus today and I'm telling you: NEVER gonna do it again. I finished the last 3 Bosses WITHOUT dying a single time and all I got was reagents and one Treasure Card.

UNBELIEVABLE! Braided Vine, Diamond and Sirens Treasure Card. OH MY GOSH! This Dungeon is so difficult, especially the last battle, and all I got is some Reagents and a Treasure Card. You are insane KingsIsle. I am so mad right now and yes, this might be a rant but it's the truth!

Can somebody care to explain how is it possible that I killed THREE Bosses and only got this kind of stuff? Do you mean to tell me that I only got one thing from each Boss? WOW! You've outdone yourselves this time KingsIsle.

BRAVO!
Chill!
Just do Tartarus again. Maybe that time you'll have patience.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2009
Omiguy on Aug 3, 2013 wrote:
This is UNBELIEVABLE!

I did Tartarus today and I'm telling you: NEVER gonna do it again. I finished the last 3 Bosses WITHOUT dying a single time and all I got was reagents and one Treasure Card.

UNBELIEVABLE! Braided Vine, Diamond and Sirens Treasure Card. OH MY GOSH! This Dungeon is so difficult, especially the last battle, and all I got is some Reagents and a Treasure Card. You are insane KingsIsle. I am so mad right now and yes, this might be a rant but it's the truth!

Can somebody care to explain how is it possible that I killed THREE Bosses and only got this kind of stuff? Do you mean to tell me that I only got one thing from each Boss? WOW! You've outdone yourselves this time KingsIsle.

BRAVO!
I feel you. I just got out of my like 400th tartarus run empty handed. One of our team mates lost connection which seems fine and dandy knowing that he could come back, only until the point that he lost his progress and couldn't come back. In the mean time, my friends were getting killed over and over with hades healing like 3000+ health back every time, then uses virulent plague before all of our hits when I realize that zeus and Poseidon will just land big critical attacks yet again. It doesn't seem like i'm on the right topic currently, but when our lost team mate was still there, I had a confident feeling we could farm over and over again. But I never feel motivated when the hades battle was going at a 2 hour pace only to get some reagents and treasure cards and useless senators gear! I've been farming tartarus for about a year now and I don't even have armor of a sorrowful life, something everyone i've seen apparently gets it in "their first try" or "just a few tries." It must be some curse. Now that I think about it, will I even do what I want when I grow up? Will I get a job or get out in life? Probably at not based on the pace its taking me. Because i'm gonna be in my 70's just trying to something I actually want from just a computer game. I'm starting to feel like everything that anyone would actually want is the chance of the amulet of divine influence (0.1% chance or less). So I begin doing tartarus at around 3:50 pm or so, as i'm typing this (right after a tartarus run) it's 7:09 pm. Thank you kingsisle!!
Tristan winterflame, exalted

Survivor
Jan 05, 2011
I agree with you one this. Honestly, when the drop rates are so rare, as most of them are, it becomes more like a chore than a game that you want to enjoy. Once and if you do get the stuff, of course it's worth it, but when exactly will you be able to get what you want? I feel like that it's a waste of time to keep doing this place, because there really isn't much a chance. For all of the money, time, and effort we put into this game, I believe they should make the drop rates higher. I've seen what the creators say to those who right letters, and they believe there's nothing they can do about it and it's perfectly fine. Do they read these complaints?

Survivor
Jan 28, 2011
I am going to start farming tartarus for the first time in a few weeks and i am dreading seeing Amber, senators robe of uselessness, 200 gold and other stuff. I just want to see Hades robe of torment, or amulet of divine influence appear on the screen. If it does i am going to equip it then run around say "i got it at woolworths" then IRL run laps around my yard.

Thomas Ice Thief lvl 90 wizard

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Amber isn't so bad. That we can use at least. I got the amulet, so it happens. Good luck!

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
I've run it about 30 times probably more. Pretty much the most I've gotten out of it was a poseidon helm the rest pet food. Really that was pet food also. If they would at least remove the senator gear from that battle it might help.

Survivor
Mar 03, 2012
I just did Tartarus today and I had a really good team. (It had a storm, a balance for buffing and healing and me as a tank) At the end, I got useless treasure cards and amber (funny how I get it the day after I crafted Loremaster) and a senator gear. The balance guy got the hades resist shoes (the one I am farming for) and he said he didn't even want or need it! The people who said to calm down and say the drops are fair are ones who got the gear. I really apologize for the rant and stuff but I think a lot of people might agree with me.