Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Unfairness with the drops in Tartarus

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Aug 21, 2009
This is UNBELIEVABLE!

I did Tartarus today and I'm telling you: NEVER gonna do it again. I finished the last 3 Bosses WITHOUT dying a single time and all I got was reagents and one Treasure Card.

UNBELIEVABLE! Braided Vine, Diamond and Sirens Treasure Card. OH MY GOSH! This Dungeon is so difficult, especially the last battle, and all I got is some Reagents and a Treasure Card. You are insane KingsIsle. I am so mad right now and yes, this might be a rant but it's the truth!

Can somebody care to explain how is it possible that I killed THREE Bosses and only got this kind of stuff? Do you mean to tell me that I only got one thing from each Boss? WOW! You've outdone yourselves this time KingsIsle.

BRAVO!

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
Everyone gets different items. I got the Hades fire shoes, a Zeus wand, a Poseidon wand, amber dust, ambrose beard whisker, and a Promethean ice robe. lol. Maybe you just got unlucky. If you try again, there is a chance you can get the items you need.

Explorer
Apr 20, 2011
Chill it dude I soloed this on my storm and got good stuff stop your complaining!

Survivor
Oct 29, 2012
Omiguy on Aug 3, 2013 wrote:
This is UNBELIEVABLE!

I did Tartarus today and I'm telling you: NEVER gonna do it again. I finished the last 3 Bosses WITHOUT dying a single time and all I got was reagents and one Treasure Card.

UNBELIEVABLE! Braided Vine, Diamond and Sirens Treasure Card. OH MY GOSH! This Dungeon is so difficult, especially the last battle, and all I got is some Reagents and a Treasure Card. You are insane KingsIsle. I am so mad right now and yes, this might be a rant but it's the truth!

Can somebody care to explain how is it possible that I killed THREE Bosses and only got this kind of stuff? Do you mean to tell me that I only got one thing from each Boss? WOW! You've outdone yourselves this time KingsIsle.

BRAVO!
I agree, they made it to "rare"

Squire
May 10, 2013
Mount Olympus has very fair drops for level 30+ because every time on Zeus, I got one part of my Death Set.
Just need the robe

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
The drops are rather rare. Out of the five runs I have done, I have found only two to be worth. And I didn't even get any of the awesome Cinder set. Or any exalteds. (The exalteds I understand, but the only thing I got worth it were Hades' wand and boots; boots are sweet for pvp though.)

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
First of all your you seem to upset to even post, Just remember it's a game, you play it for amusement, no one is forcing you, secondly there are good drops, I've seen them, But if they are so good why make them so easily to be earned? You can't have everyone in the game running around with it right away then there would be no special reward for the ones that can do it, I am still farming the Gladiator, and Cronus, Then I will go do the fight against those three hoping I get the wand I want, Just stay calm and play with friends who enjoy the game too and either way you'll enjoy yourself

Your level 90 friend. -Miguel
Your level 66 friend. -Miguel
Your level 45 friend. -Miguel

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
This is UNBELIEVABLE!

BRAVO!
Wizards101 has turned into a game with more and more based around that, so much fun "Chance to Get".

Altho personally I don't enjoy this type of game play many others must. Many do not mind repeating these instances until they are blue in face to get items they "want".

I believe it's more of a challenge to play my wizards with the bare necessities of what I can buy with gold, I earned, at the Bazaar, some doable crafting and drops though out the game. My wizards don't seem to need all these fringes to get by. I would rather quest then farm.

For me farming is just too monotonous, it's like pet training with only level 3 pet snacks, amplified. I don't mind giving it a few goes but anything after that is so boring I would fall asleep during it. I wish my Wizard had auto pilot.

Lucky ones get things first run, for the rest of us thou, we either repeat it till cows come home or just accept the fact that we really can get by with out it.

The more complicated this game gets the less fun and more like work it becomes. As long as the general populous requires this sort of game play though it's bound to only get worse and it has. Lack of results after doing an instance over and over again must be fun for them?

I have learned to set my sights very low in the game since Water Works came out. I farmed that till I got such a hate for farming I vowed never to waste my game time on that again. So now if I get something first try ok, if I don't that's ok too.

The game drops are set to make it so some will get things easily and others will not, it's all in the odds, it's up to you to decide if you want to take a chance on them.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
This is UNBELIEVABLE!

BRAVO!
You know Your not suppose to get the drops in one run lo it's like waterworks you don't get all your gear in one run it takes time plus that's what makes the game fun if you were suppose to get a drop every the game would be too easy ;p

Survivor
Jul 29, 2009
I have to agree with what this guy said. Not the whole spazzy part, but the part about a little unfairness in drops. I have done it 5 times and every time I got two reagents (never has one been amber). I am the only one too. Everyone else in my group gets gear; wands, robes, hats and boots. It is frustrating. And so time consuming. Even to just find four people who want to do the whole dungeon and not just Cronus. I am wondering if my frequent reagent drops have been a result of me grabbing the reagents in the first part of the dungeon the first time I played it through. If it is and I can never change that and I will always get reagents as drops, then I may get really frustrated. I would like to see a change in how fair some of these drops in these final bosses are.

Thomas ShadowThief

Survivor
May 09, 2010
Is your backpack and bank full? because usually if it is i dont get anything but tc and reagents. If not the drop rate is meant to be low to make it a challenge.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Sometimes you get nothing, it's all RANDOM

People generally have a hard time dealing with chance in the universe. This game is driven by random number generators and people have a very difficult time coping with randomly getting less than they expect they deserve as a reward.

This is why a lot of myths and old wives' tales have sprung up around Waterworks, ToTH, Mirror Lake, et al.

Always break the rules. Never break the rules. Always go first. Always go last. Never pick up the kelp or the pearl. Never wear waterworks gear inside waterworks during a battle. Always wear waterworks gear inside waterworks during a battle. Never hit with a spell less than 5 pips. Flee and port back ASAP if you die. Never flee, always wait for a teammate to heal you, if you die. Do the eels, but mess up the clams. Do the clams, but mess up and fight the eels. Mess them both up and fight them all.

On, and on, and on. Most of them have an equally constraining and contradictory variant. I ran WW 26 times on one storm, and 32 times on another storm, before each got all his gear. All the variant tricks above had no apparent effect, and I found it more efficient just to avoid needless hassles and finish quickly.

It's as if the human mind craves purpose, and chance is devoid of purpose, it just happens this way or that. That is the most frustrating scenario for high achievers - people who understand that the most valuable resource in this game isn't gold, or crowns, it's TIME. And there's nothing they can do to get around the fact that the single biggest determinant of success is how many times you complete the dungeon. No shortcuts, no crowns option to remove the need to run Tartarus and Waterworks again, and again, and again.

It hurts. But there's nothing for it but to muster your friends and grab a drink and hit x again, and this time make sure you have PLENTY of space in your backpack for when (not if) you hit that jackpot.

Champion
Jun 30, 2009
This is UNBELIEVABLE!

BRAVO!
I had help last night,and allI got was a Senator robe (90), that I'll never use. I agree with you on getting hit below the belt.

On top of that, I can barely see anything in the game, save the final room. Btw, where is Eurydice?

Timothy Pearlflower, L90

Survivor
May 20, 2012
This is UNBELIEVABLE!

BRAVO!
I totally agree with you Omiguy! I have battle them 34 times and no cinder plate. This needs to be fixed.

Hunter Stormshade lvl90

Survivor
Jun 30, 2010
This is UNBELIEVABLE!

BRAVO!
It is just a matter of chance to get the stuff you want, I tried to get the ring I wanted from the gladiator but i did'nt get it. Whereas my friend, got all the best storm gear from Tartarus. The fun of the game is to keep trying to improve your wizard, or you'll finish the game too quickly.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
ZeusssLol on Aug 5, 2013 wrote:
You know Your not suppose to get the drops in one run lo it's like waterworks you don't get all your gear in one run it takes time plus that's what makes the game fun if you were suppose to get a drop every the game would be too easy ;p
It is much worse than Waterworks. In any Waterworks run you might get one or two bits of "real" gear. In Tartarus it is maybe one good thing in four or five runs. Most of what is dropping is pretty bad. I don't know anyone who has even seen an amulet, and there is almost no gear I'd want to use for PvE. They really need to get some better stuff in there.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2010
This is UNBELIEVABLE!

BRAVO!
I kind of agree with you, one thing is that it is not about how you do it or if you die or not, chance is all there is to it. But Kingsisle should really make the worst gear higher because people really do put lots of effort in these dungeons, but the really bad thing is they get really excited and think they know they will get AWESOME gear and get really let down at the end. This might make them really sad. But as they said, it is a matter of chance, so it is not exactly their fault.

Explorer
Jul 01, 2011
This is UNBELIEVABLE!

BRAVO!
I agree with you. Except its not hard in my opinion but the drops are not fair at all. They made it ultra-rare drop to get the good stuff. I Done Tartarus like 20 times on my life, fire, and storm. I get junk everytime. They have crafted items but not the stuff hades drops. I wish us crafters can craft the good stuff instead of spending our whole lives trying to get one item.

Explorer
Jun 15, 2009
i'll hit 90 today, i suuuuuuuuuure hope from what i have been hearing from MANY players now that things are not as bad drop wise for the time spent, i am so not getting to 90 to see low level drops ("feed my pet" clothes, reagent, and card combo drops or less) ... :S

like the original post, i would pass judgement the first run, already dreading hitting this place up ...

no
way
on
earth

would i farn this with a low drop rate, the fun would end fast
(hardcore adult multiple MMO gamer here)

i remember when farming gold was an issue, i still thank KI for making THAT easier ...

i WILL try it though, and i will at least love the challenge, but eventually, i think what the intent of the original post er was saying is, "eventually", something people "want" has to drop, no matter what game it is

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
I agree that some of the items that hades drops are almost impossible to get. I think that there should be something that counts how many times you have farmed or killed a boss and then you can go to a chest(or something similar) and you can buy the stuff the boss drops based on how many times you have beaten that boss. like cronus, the anthem he drops should require 20 defeats and then you can get it by buying it from his defeat chest. same goes with hades and any other hard to farm bosses.

Explorer
Jun 15, 2009
gweedoboy on Sep 13, 2013 wrote:
I agree that some of the items that hades drops are almost impossible to get. I think that there should be something that counts how many times you have farmed or killed a boss and then you can go to a chest(or something similar) and you can buy the stuff the boss drops based on how many times you have beaten that boss. like cronus, the anthem he drops should require 20 defeats and then you can get it by buying it from his defeat chest. same goes with hades and any other hard to farm bosses.
unfortunately, subscribers "pay to play" already, to many stacks of payments is trivial, i like play to win, not pay to win, if they adjust the drop rates like they have with pets, it becomes funner, already if you want the highest resistance in the game, you must, *pay to win* via card packs, played these dungeons a bit already, unfortunately i dread along with many, the day they say, *pay or no item*, not this player

Explorer
Apr 20, 2011
dark17604 on Sep 11, 2013 wrote:
I agree with you. Except its not hard in my opinion but the drops are not fair at all. They made it ultra-rare drop to get the good stuff. I Done Tartarus like 20 times on my life, fire, and storm. I get junk everytime. They have crafted items but not the stuff hades drops. I wish us crafters can craft the good stuff instead of spending our whole lives trying to get one item.
Well I have done Tartarus three times and to be honest with you I got the Poseidon Fire HAt and Robe and also the HAdes wand and the zeus fire boots in three runs is this lucky?

Explorer
Apr 20, 2011
This is UNBELIEVABLE!

BRAVO!
I have a solution this is a glitch what ever school you are bring a friend and try to kill hades in a one hit kill tell your friend to flee kill hades. Then when you finally finish the battle Hades will spawn again . I got so angry when my friends did this glitch while I fled but I ended up getting my fire hade staff.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2008
Did you check to see if your backpack and bank were full? That's what happened to me. Also, you should get a group together with a strategy. Mine is a jade life who can heal, a high critical storm and me, I can blade him and he attacks. It takes about 45 mins to complete.

Survivor
May 24, 2010
Wow i have done hades at least 30 times in the past two days and i have gotten nothing but braided vine and amberdust. this is a joke i keep getting junk there must be a flaw in the drops because my team mates say they dont get anything but tc's and reagents. im not happy at all