Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Storm Powerful Enough?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 18, 2010
I think storm is way overpowered, and kingsisle should lay a bit of the spells damage. What do you guys think? Please leave a reply!

-Jake

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Elijah MythHorn on Jun 22, 2013 wrote:
I think storm is way overpowered, and kingsisle should lay a bit of the spells damage. What do you guys think? Please leave a reply!

-Jake
Personally I think storms balance of damage vs health has to be the way it is.

We have a few storm wizards and altho they are very powerful they have been defeated a few times due to their fizzle rate early on and health all through the game. It's all about knowing how to do what when with Storm.

Each school has it's strong and weak points, learning how to work these to your advantage is what they game is all about.

Delver
Oct 30, 2011
Storm is meant for damage and damage only.Like insane bolt 10000 damage meant for damage.There is a way to survive insane bolts hit on you with only resist.My ice can survive it any day with his awesome 98 universal resist making him a 2nd age warlord as well as 1st but he has beaten by my storm who is great in damage (107).My storm with a critical storm owl no block with colossal hits about 7000 easily.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010

-Jake
I think you need to do your research. Storm's spells may be the most powerful, but their fizzle rate is also the highest. Their health is the lowest (base health). It all evens out., as KI planned, to make the game fair.
Just because you can't beat them doesn't mean their spells should be nerfed. It means you need to work on your battle skills.

Delver
Feb 25, 2013
NO! Storm is one of the hardest schools to play with, in my opinion. They sacrifice health and accuracy for that much damage. They have to defeat before they are defeated. The damage is good how it is. Try making a wizard of that school before you complain.

Delver
Apr 11, 2012

-Jake
Jake89934,

Every school has their weakness and advantage. If 's forceful and effective high-damage spells were disposed of their damage advantage, what would be the point of having a school? has
always been the high-damage school and I think it should stay that way.

Your Fellow Wizard,
Miranda Thundergem LVL56

Survivor
Apr 13, 2013

-Jake
i think storm is just fine.
because it has a lot of fizzles and low

-chase mythief

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
If Storm didn't have that damage, they'd die. Yes, they would. Trying to hold on to barely 3,000 health points is hard enough as is in Azteca without lower attacks. The damage is fine as it is.

Scarlet Nightdreamer, level 90 Diviner (She has awesome critical, so I tend to lay off the damage as I can land a critical most of the time. Her health and resistance however, are sub-par to say the least. Her accuracy is mediocre with boosts from gear.)
Alura Unicornglade, level 45 Thaumaturge (She's nearing Scarlet's health and has decent attacks. Soloing is no big deal with her because she rarely fizzles and can one-hit kill regular monsters.)

Explorer
Jun 12, 2011

-Jake
lol, are you joking? storm's damage is all that keeps them alive.

as the owner of an archmage diviner, i will tell you that time is not a luxury we have. you see, storm's defensive stats are garbage: our health is a joke, our resist is awful, and our crit block is all but nonexistent... we need to do as much damage as we can, in as few combat rounds as possible, in order to survive.

the whole point of storm is to kill before you get killed~ that's why we are built for damage, and nothing else.

at level 80, a storm wizard has steroid damage, but only around 2500-2700 health (the same as the other schools have by level 35); a same-level ice wizard does less damage, but has between 6000-8000 health, is immune to fire and storm, and has the highest resist/crit block in-game.

notice the pattern?

schools with high attack power have horrible defensive stats; those that are weaker offensively make up for it with their steroid health and resist. so leave storm alone~ it's fine as is.

-v.

promethean and
archmage
legendary
master and
adept

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
Laura Shadowsong on Jun 23, 2013 wrote:
lol, are you joking? storm's damage is all that keeps them alive.

as the owner of an archmage diviner, i will tell you that time is not a luxury we have. you see, storm's defensive stats are garbage: our health is a joke, our resist is awful, and our crit block is all but nonexistent... we need to do as much damage as we can, in as few combat rounds as possible, in order to survive.

the whole point of storm is to kill before you get killed~ that's why we are built for damage, and nothing else.

at level 80, a storm wizard has steroid damage, but only around 2500-2700 health (the same as the other schools have by level 35); a same-level ice wizard does less damage, but has between 6000-8000 health, is immune to fire and storm, and has the highest resist/crit block in-game.

notice the pattern?

schools with high attack power have horrible defensive stats; those that are weaker offensively make up for it with their steroid health and resist. so leave storm alone~ it's fine as is.

-v.

promethean and
archmage
legendary
master and
adept
Storm is the ultimate glass cannon.

Explorer
Nov 29, 2012
Tyler Legendfriend on Jun 22, 2013 wrote:
Storm is meant for damage and damage only.Like insane bolt 10000 damage meant for damage.There is a way to survive insane bolts hit on you with only resist.My ice can survive it any day with his awesome 98 universal resist making him a 2nd age warlord as well as 1st but he has beaten by my storm who is great in damage (107).My storm with a critical storm owl no block with colossal hits about 7000 easily.
98 universal resist? Yeah, nice lie. Maybe 98 resist to storm.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Scarlet Nightdream... on Jun 23, 2013 wrote:
If Storm didn't have that damage, they'd die. Yes, they would. Trying to hold on to barely 3,000 health points is hard enough as is in Azteca without lower attacks. The damage is fine as it is.

Scarlet Nightdreamer, level 90 Diviner (She has awesome critical, so I tend to lay off the damage as I can land a critical most of the time. Her health and resistance however, are sub-par to say the least. Her accuracy is mediocre with boosts from gear.)
Alura Unicornglade, level 45 Thaumaturge (She's nearing Scarlet's health and has decent attacks. Soloing is no big deal with her because she rarely fizzles and can one-hit kill regular monsters.)
I think I would go nuts without solid base damage and near 100% accuracy. Crit is almost immaterial after Three Points - you will crit so infrequently that you may as well not factor it. If you have crowns critware (world burner rod, staff of anubis, etc.) you can ignore this paragraph and continue critting every hit and enjoying it.

Most of the street mobs in AZ have around 120-150 critical block, not to mention the bosses who are sitting around 250-350 critical and 150-250 block.

Storm's crafted gear has modest crit blocks, so I use a mix of av crafted ice/storm boots and the balance crit blocking ring, plus ww shirt and hat. I lucked out and got a lvl 80 wand with monster 60 block.

I hate losing the 85% or so storm damage I had sometime between CL and ZF. I like surviving crit bladed storm owl more, though. You do reach a point where the post-ZF storm gear damage attrition is too high a cost for a marginal improvement in crit block, resistances, and health boost. Going below about 70% storm damage boost makes me really uncomfortable in ways that would not bother me as pretty much any other class. If you don't hit, or don't hit hard enough, you're dead.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
crunkatog on Jun 23, 2013 wrote:
I think I would go nuts without solid base damage and near 100% accuracy. Crit is almost immaterial after Three Points - you will crit so infrequently that you may as well not factor it. If you have crowns critware (world burner rod, staff of anubis, etc.) you can ignore this paragraph and continue critting every hit and enjoying it.

Most of the street mobs in AZ have around 120-150 critical block, not to mention the bosses who are sitting around 250-350 critical and 150-250 block.

Storm's crafted gear has modest crit blocks, so I use a mix of av crafted ice/storm boots and the balance crit blocking ring, plus ww shirt and hat. I lucked out and got a lvl 80 wand with monster 60 block.

I hate losing the 85% or so storm damage I had sometime between CL and ZF. I like surviving crit bladed storm owl more, though. You do reach a point where the post-ZF storm gear damage attrition is too high a cost for a marginal improvement in crit block, resistances, and health boost. Going below about 70% storm damage boost makes me really uncomfortable in ways that would not bother me as pretty much any other class. If you don't hit, or don't hit hard enough, you're dead.
For critical rating, I have a wand from a bundle and the crafted hat that gives me decent critical. I'm still landing criticals around seventy-five percent of the time. As for block, I've seen better and I've seen worse. My block is at 153 universal, which blocks criticals quite frequently.

I've seen Storms with way better damage then I have though. At fifty-three percent it's not the highest it could be, but I'd rather sacrifice damage than critical block and resistance. (Jade boots, level 80+) I'm perfectly fine with my damage as it is though because, honestly, I'm more of a defensive Storm player. (There is such a thing. Lol) I prefer to blade up for attacks, heal, shield, save up pips and finally send the wrath of a full pip Tempest down upon my enemies. (With my luck it's usually all power pips or one to two white pips.) This strategy serves me well in Azteca and it's the one I'll use when soloing because it usually brings good results. I've only died once or twice and that's because I forgot to modify my cards for the mob I was facing.

Scarlet Nightdreamer, level 90 Diviner

Alura Unicornglade, level 45 Thaumaturge

Delver
Oct 30, 2011
CPS Cole on Jun 23, 2013 wrote:
98 universal resist? Yeah, nice lie. Maybe 98 resist to storm.
I have not seen it for a while as of ban but let me do that math:

Hat-21 universal from promethean jade hat of mystery
Robe-22 resist from promethean jade robe of mystery
Boots-16 resist from promethean jade boots of mystery
So far 59 universal
Pet-15 resist universal
Athame-5 universal resist
Ring-3 universal resist
83 universal resist
I would have had 93 if I did not give my 25 resist giving pet to my fire .
No wonder I dont know the alphabet.

Explorer
Nov 29, 2012
Tyler Legendfriend on Jun 25, 2013 wrote:
I have not seen it for a while as of ban but let me do that math:

Hat-21 universal from promethean jade hat of mystery
Robe-22 resist from promethean jade robe of mystery
Boots-16 resist from promethean jade boots of mystery
So far 59 universal
Pet-15 resist universal
Athame-5 universal resist
Ring-3 universal resist
83 universal resist
I would have had 93 if I did not give my 25 resist giving pet to my fire .
No wonder I dont know the alphabet.
Well yeah, Jade will give you a ton of resist including Heart steel, a ring, and a pet. The thing is, you CAN'T have a 25 resist pet. The closest you could get is 21 resist on a pet, unless you can get 2 of the same talents on one pet. (might be wrong).

Overall this would add up to 89 but it's close enough. P.S. When you did the math for adding up resist, it came to 82 not 83. P.S.S. Sorry if I seemed a little rude in any of these posts.

Delver
Oct 30, 2011
CPS Cole on Jun 25, 2013 wrote:
Well yeah, Jade will give you a ton of resist including Heart steel, a ring, and a pet. The thing is, you CAN'T have a 25 resist pet. The closest you could get is 21 resist on a pet, unless you can get 2 of the same talents on one pet. (might be wrong).

Overall this would add up to 89 but it's close enough. P.S. When you did the math for adding up resist, it came to 82 not 83. P.S.S. Sorry if I seemed a little rude in any of these posts.
Well I am not so good at math so really I thought it was 98 cause a 3 look like an 8 but yeah I was mistaken by I thought it was 25 but it was 21.I really need to go to school.

Explorer
May 17, 2010
CPS Cole on Jun 25, 2013 wrote:

21 universal resist on a pet? I don't think so. I think you max out at 20 universal resist. The way I see it is:
You can max 14 with spell-proof and 7 with spell-defy but those depend on using the other 4 slots to boost your stats/attributes (in particular str and agility).
The absolute best that I see is Proof, Defy, Mighty (+65Str), Relentless(+65Ag), Unshakeable(+40Str & +25Ag) which I don't have but calculate will give +7 on defy but only give +13 on Proof and hence a total of only 20.
Please let me know if I'm missing something.

Explorer
Nov 29, 2012
I4C gr8ness on Jun 27, 2013 wrote:
21 universal resist on a pet? I don't think so. I think you max out at 20 universal resist. The way I see it is:
You can max 14 with spell-proof and 7 with spell-defy but those depend on using the other 4 slots to boost your stats/attributes (in particular str and agility).
The absolute best that I see is Proof, Defy, Mighty (+65Str), Relentless(+65Ag), Unshakeable(+40Str & +25Ag) which I don't have but calculate will give +7 on defy but only give +13 on Proof and hence a total of only 20.
I am not for sure at this point. I have a link to a thread on Central that has some info on it (look for songsofthespiral's post) that might help. http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?79301-Guide-to-reaching-MAX-resist! Let me know if the link doesn't work and I'll see if I can try to fix it.

Delver
Oct 30, 2011
I4C gr8ness on Jun 27, 2013 wrote:
21 resist is very possible.Look at CSP cole's link.

Explorer
Jun 08, 2012

-Jake
Storm, Really? Okay for starters the new ice gear gives 90 resist to storm and fire without even a PET, RING, or Athame. And who's gonna save up for a storm owl when they're dying? If you attack storm they have to heal. But they all have they're good points. Ice is Boss in PVP(A lot of resist) and storm is Boss in PVE(Finish it faster). But then again some people don't know what gear to get(like a 7 year old), or my 13 year old friend who thinks whatever gear looks the best has the best stats(doesn't know what switching it). So it's just pretty much about who ever has the best gear and is SMARTER when it comes down to it. Like lets say some with immunity to storm goes first and didn't bring shields so the storm converts then dead. It's all about who is pretty much the best stats and the smartest when it comes to picking out what to do. I'm only 13 but i have 12 warlords( 2 accounts). It keeps me busy in the summer time. So don't complain, if you don't like storm you don't have to be it or even do pvp. So pretty much if you're having problems with them make an ice.

Mastermind
Dec 11, 2011
Northlite on Jun 22, 2013 wrote:
Personally I think storms balance of damage vs health has to be the way it is.

We have a few storm wizards and altho they are very powerful they have been defeated a few times due to their fizzle rate early on and health all through the game. It's all about knowing how to do what when with Storm.

Each school has it's strong and weak points, learning how to work these to your advantage is what they game is all about.
No, no, and no. Our damage may be over the top, but our health needs to be buffed up a bit, so, oh I don't know, WE ARE ACTUALLY ABLE TO USE IT.

Survivor
Apr 20, 2013
Well... I think that the spells should be a bit less powered. But to equal it out it has a high chance of fizzling!

From,
Chris DeathWeilder

Explorer
Jun 20, 2013
I personally think storm is op but their resistance is not that good though :/

Survivor
Apr 12, 2011
Storm is NOT overpowered. Yes they have strong attacks but they have the worst accuracy of all schools. There health is also the lowest of any school. I think Good attacks, but the lowest health and accuracy makes it balanced.

Ryan SoulShard Magus , second , third

Defender
Jul 02, 2009

-Jake
Do you even have a storm wizard? No they are not overpowered! Certainly not! Ok, I used to think that storm's damage was too high, but then I took a walk in their moccasins. I got that from p101 central. Anyway, you should get what I mean. Sure, storm's damage is high, but they pay for it dearly with low accuracy, high fizzle rate, low defense, and other stuff. So yeah. If you took away their damage, they would be the weakest class possible. Then everyone would quit, and wizard101 would be gone. You want that to happen, Elijah? Think about it, why don't you?