Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Charred Path to PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 23, 2011
Many pyromancers have been having quite a bit of trouble with PvP (including myself) ever since the release of the mega resist ice gear. Some have claimed to find a way around it. While I still remain skeptical, many people continue to argue on and on about it. This topic is going to be used to spread the word. We need to spread the information that fire people need to hear in order to bring balance back to our PvP matches. As an example, I will list some current problems:

Pierce isn't good enough to get over the resist?
Prisms are easily dealt with and not effective enough?
Too many other distractions (weaknesses, shields, stuns, almost dying, etc.) in the way?
Other schools also proving to be problems?

I am dearly hoping this topic will make PvP fun once again for us. Not that it wasn't before, but frustration does tend to take away from things. We can overcome this together, so let's try this out.

Jason StormCaster, level 86

Delver
Oct 26, 2010
Ways to get around ice "mega" gear in 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4.

1v1: Carry +20 treasure card infallibles. These make ices resist down to 49 for fire and 51 for storm. That's just with infallible. +10 pierce blade, that's 50 and 55 for both fire and storm.So, now you may attack freely with little resist for ice. Now, you might be saying, WHAT ABOUT SHIELDS??? Theres:
  • Shatter
  • Spells for fire that take shields and do overtime
  • Pierce
  • Minions
I could go on and on.

2v2: Same infallible, pierce blades, but now, you don't have to waste a pip for the +9 pierce blade! A friend can give you one! Your friend can also remove shields, stun, distract, heal, AND, you can take out the ices!

3v3: Same rules apply with 2v2, but now you have MORE people to help you take ices resist down.

4v4: Earthquake can take away all shields and defenses for the ices.

Now, let me break something down for you. An average ices resist with the Horned Helmet, Woodland Tribal Coat, and the ice boots that give potent trap and +15 resist, is: 70, and 60. Plus a resist pet is, 85 and 75. Now. Hold up. 85 is...ALMOST IMMUNITY!!?!?!?! And I know with the pierce blades -39 for both is 46 and 36. That means, I was wrong, and with these pierce blades, ice has even less resist. 36 is nothing. 46 is nothing. I have 52 resist for ice and I get killed by them and they have 33-36 damage. Storm has an average of 71+. I've even seen storms with 110 damage. Fire has an average of 55-65. This is 2, 3, even close to 4x ices damage.

I guess if you don't want to listen to me that's fine. But coming from a 2 time Fire warlord, I have beaten numerous ices with massive resist. Did I even mention this:

Certain gear gives pierce also. Some pets also have the ability to give pierce as a talent. There is a whole market of pierce possibilities for your wizard. I will also be making a part 2 for myth, death, life, and balance.

Defender
Nov 15, 2008
I agree, ice has way to much resist it is very unfair. I also noticed it's ONLY ice with the huge resist. This is challenging for any school

matthew wyrmblade lvl 82

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
I have a promethean fire captain. When facing ice people, generally, i lay down a few converts, 1-2 blades, a tc infallible, hopefully a spear or 2, my bubble, and do a max pip heckhound. If it goes critical with no block, they will probably die. (my fire has a critical of 350, and also 9% base armor piercing) On normal people, I either spam low pip critical spells, or try to OHKO them with efreet or heckhound. My strategy might not work up to warlord, but it has worked fairly well for me so far.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2011
A Balanced Life on Jun 17, 2013 wrote:
Ways to get around ice "mega" gear in 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4.

1v1: Carry +20 treasure card infallibles. These make ices resist down to 49 for fire and 51 for storm. That's just with infallible. +10 pierce blade, that's 50 and 55 for both fire and storm.So, now you may attack freely with little resist for ice. Now, you might be saying, WHAT ABOUT SHIELDS??? Theres:
  • Shatter
  • Spells for fire that take shields and do overtime
  • Pierce
  • Minions
I could go on and on.

2v2: Same infallible, pierce blades, but now, you don't have to waste a pip for the +9 pierce blade! A friend can give you one! Your friend can also remove shields, stun, distract, heal, AND, you can take out the ices!

3v3: Same rules apply with 2v2, but now you have MORE people to help you take ices resist down.

4v4: Earthquake can take away all shields and defenses for the ices.

Now, let me break something down for you. An average ices resist with the Horned Helmet, Woodland Tribal Coat, and the ice boots that give potent trap and +15 resist, is: 70, and 60. Plus a resist pet is, 85 and 75. Now. Hold up. 85 is...ALMOST IMMUNITY!!?!?!?! And I know with the pierce blades -39 for both is 46 and 36. That means, I was wrong, and with these pierce blades, ice has even less resist. 36 is nothing. 46 is nothing. I have 52 resist for ice and I get killed by them and they have 33-36 damage. Storm has an average of 71+. I've even seen storms with 110 damage. Fire has an average of 55-65. This is 2, 3, even close to 4x ices damage.

I guess if you don't want to listen to me that's fine. But coming from a 2 time Fire warlord, I have beaten numerous ices with massive resist. Did I even mention this:

Certain gear gives pierce also. Some pets also have the ability to give pierce as a talent. There is a whole market of pierce possibilities for your wizard. I will also be making a part 2 for myth, death, life, and balance.
This is very helpful, and it may just be me having this issue, but iv'e done this and still failed. Why? By the time I've gotten the blades ups, removed shields, and got an attack ready, I'm about dead and have a weakness on me so I attack. It does good damage but because of the spammed weakness all game I lose. Can you help with this, or is it another basic tip of carrying the removers in the tc deck?

Jason StormCaster, Level 88

Delver
Oct 26, 2010
Ok. To take weaknesses off, bring cleanse charms, and did I mention you can WAND them off? This is common sense. Bring triage for the frostbites and angels, and you can beat ANY ice. ~Glad I can help.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2011
A Balanced Life on Jun 19, 2013 wrote:
Ok. To take weaknesses off, bring cleanse charms, and did I mention you can WAND them off? This is common sense. Bring triage for the frostbites and angels, and you can beat ANY ice. ~Glad I can help.
I know i can wand them off lol. I used ALL my wands and still had a weakness on me by the end. However, I'll keep your tips in mind. Thanks for the help!

Jason StormCaster, Level 88

Survivor
May 21, 2013
matthew wyrmblade on Jun 17, 2013 wrote:
I agree, ice has way to much resist it is very unfair. I also noticed it's ONLY ice with the huge resist. This is challenging for any school

matthew wyrmblade lvl 82
i know right and balance is suppose to have a piece of something from everyschool and it doesn't have anything from ice it has nothing from fire either it has no stuns no dots and the only way balance can get huge resist is by using waterworks gear with help of pet resist or by using jade gear with pet resist and yet balance should also be able to get at least 42 resistance with gear from it's own school and not having to farm waterworks (Blaze ravenmender level 59 Blaze moonmender promethean)