Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Chat Block

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Alright I am new to these forums so if this is gonna be looked on badly let me know and I won't object to it being taken down or moved to a more appropriate space. Anyhow I'm sure we've all had the issue of trying to get a point across(a fair point with no bad language mind you) and yet had the words turn red when we're trying to post it as it isn't recognized and/or blocked on the chat. Now most of these words are blocks for a reason: Bad language/references, insults, slurs. However there is one thing that constantly confounds me as to why it is there and if someone can clue me in as to why it's there please do so. It's the number block. I did some thinking on this issue and the only reason I can come up is certain number sequences are taken the wrong way. Examples aren't gonna be posted here though. That or the fact that people can spam them. Now given the clever coding that the Kingsisle staff has done has proven to me that they're more than capable of blocking numbers that are more than a certain number of characters long or block sequences that could be offensive to people. So if anyone can tell me why the number block is in place it would definitely clear things up for me.

Administrator
While developing Wizard101, we realized the style and content of the game would appeal to all ages. As a result of our young audience, we decided to incorporate safeguards that make online play a generally safe and positive experience (especially when dealing with other players).

We have excluded numbers from the chat system to ensure that children who don't know better cannot easily exchange private information.

As for stating your current level, health and mana, the Menu Chat system has these pre-formed statements under the Friendly -> Stats section.

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Ok thank you. That does make a lot of sense and now I know I can easily tell people via the safechat. because I normally didn't even use safechat I never knew you could communicate the stats via that.. so yeah thanks a lot!

Survivor
Apr 13, 2013
It also bugs me when mentioning "omg"
Whenever i see something that surprises me I always go "omg" and the letters turn red. Therefore, I have adjusted to typing out "oh my gosh" even though it isn't as comfortable. And I also am against the no capitals. I hate seeing people typing "i see you" with the lower case "i." Being an older player, I have adjusted to beginning a sentence with a capital letter and including one when possible. Please allow players to make the first letter of their message capital as when you type it, it turns out lowercase. This probably does not bug others, but it bugs me in particularly and I am sure it bugs older and mature players as well. Thank you for listening.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i agree, re: "omg"~ that said, i have enough words in my vocab that i have found alternatives.

i can appreciate what ki is trying to do with the chat system~ oftentimes, kids don't know what's wrong or right unless told and we need to protect them from themselves; i don't have kids, but i wouldn't want my niece and nephew giving out personal info to some weirdo by accident.

that being said, some of the most ridiculous words are filtered: movie, magazine, periodical, perhaps... what's wrong with those? and it does seem kind of silly having to use the menu chat system for stats or being unable to tell someone your level... would it not make more sense to block certain number-word combos instead of just filtering numbers altogether?

being a canadian wizard, it gets exhausting having to thinks about retyping everything in american english~ nothing like asking your friend what her favourite colour is, only to find out that all she sees is "what is your..." and i suddenly look like a total creep (true story, guize).

/my 2 cents,

-von

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
I can see what you're saying there Von. It can get a tad annoying even when you know it's there to help keep the younger players safe. It's happened to my friends so many times that I've managed to figure out when they meant something bad by it or if they mispelled/ attempted to use a word that wasn't in the dictionary, and they actually block the words you listed? Wow I actually never knew that and I'm with you on that point. That is kinda dumb to be blocking those words. If a movie's inappropriate and the player is trying to talk about it. The title and any details will already be blocked. No need to block the word movie. Same goes with the other blocked words that you mentioned.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I could tell you why perhaps is blocked and probably periodical to, but, if I tried, the mods would delete the post before it got posted. As for magazine, I am not sure why it is blocked but i can make a fairly good guess. Movie is a different word altogether and honestly, I have never noticed it being blocked and I have seen it used a couple of times in open chat.

Some words can be disected so to speak to create other words or meanings. Those are the ones KI is trying very hard to keep out of the game dictionary.

I would like to see a really good spell checker put in place to work in conjunction with the game dictionary and I think it would prevent a lot of the chat issues we have been seeing over the past few years. If a word is not spelled correctly it would not get past the system and if the word just happened to be foul, it certainly wouldn't but it would stop the filter go arounds as well.

Hummm, KI, is something like this even possible?

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I decided to check those particular words out in the game tonight. Those words are not blocked in Open Chat, but they would be in filtered. Only a couple of them turn Yellow in Open and Movie is not one of them.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
DragonLady1818 on May 10, 2013 wrote:
I could tell you why perhaps is blocked and probably periodical to, but, if I tried, the mods would delete the post before it got posted. As for magazine, I am not sure why it is blocked but i can make a fairly good guess. Movie is a different word altogether and honestly, I have never noticed it being blocked and I have seen it used a couple of times in open chat.

Some words can be disected so to speak to create other words or meanings. Those are the ones KI is trying very hard to keep out of the game dictionary.

I would like to see a really good spell checker put in place to work in conjunction with the game dictionary and I think it would prevent a lot of the chat issues we have been seeing over the past few years. If a word is not spelled correctly it would not get past the system and if the word just happened to be foul, it certainly wouldn't but it would stop the filter go arounds as well.

Hummm, KI, is something like this even possible?
Their chat scripting has more than proven to me that it is possible. However! Coding is extremely difficult and while it may be possible, it may not be practical and in fact may cause a lot of bugs, though adding a few of the things people use to go around the foul language filter probably wouldn't be that difficult. The spell-checker could be based off the one from Microsoft Word and that would provide a good help.

On a Side-note: I've noticed that no matter what is said, if you put something in quotations it will turn red and not allow you to quote something. Even the word "quote" is blocked. Chalk another one up to weird blocks.

-Joshua Starflame, The wizard of joking