Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pedigrees can be misleading

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Many people go into the hatchery and see a pet with a low pedigree and immediately dismiss it. Since I normally hatch when I am near my max gold, I seldom care about the talents or the pedigree. I do try to hatch with a pet I don't already have. Now, the pet I was using today had a low pedigree, but I would like to ask how many people would hatch with this pet regardless of pedigree.

Wildclaw with 59 pedigree trained to Epic with the following talents
Spell proof
Pain giver
Spritely
Fairy Friend
With 2 each of ultra-rare and epic talents still open

Surprisingly, people just saw the 59 pedigree and said, "too low". Finally one person actually looked past the low pedigree and nearly begged me to hatch. I quickly agreed for two reasons: 1) I needed to lose gold. 2) he had a pet I didn't have.

I am now training that wildclaw to mega. I just hope it does get a decent talent at mega. Regardless of the talent it receives at mega, I will continue to use this pet regardless of the low pedigree.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 90 Life

Historian
Jul 18, 2010
Its not about pedigree, but talents. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE hatch with your wildclaw!! It's talents are very good! Those people missed their chance to have cool stats for their pets. So what about low pedigree? I dont even look at pedigree sometimes! I just look at talents. Enjoy your new pet!

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
Hannah Lifebringer on Mar 31, 2013 wrote:
Many people go into the hatchery and see a pet with a low pedigree and immediately dismiss it. Since I normally hatch when I am near my max gold, I seldom care about the talents or the pedigree. I do try to hatch with a pet I don't already have. Now, the pet I was using today had a low pedigree, but I would like to ask how many people would hatch with this pet regardless of pedigree.

Spell proof
Pain giver
Spritely
Fairy Friend

Surprisingly, people just saw the 59 pedigree and said, "too low". Finally one person actually looked past the low pedigree and nearly begged me to hatch. I quickly agreed for two reasons: 1) I needed to lose gold. 2) he had a pet I didn't have.

I am now training that wildclaw to mega. I just hope it does get a decent talent at mega. Regardless of the talent it receives at mega, I will continue to use this pet regardless of the low pedigree.

Pedigree does not really matter its the stat's current max of 250 and the active talent set.

In theory you can have a pet with

with 13 pedigree 250 to all stats

with proof, defy, sprite, fairy and unicorn active.

Now that would be a wild project to get that low of a pet. ( derby would need all 0 pip talents, pet talents half would need to be 0 pip

so your pet would be

13(22) running around as mega ;-)

Survivor
Jan 18, 2012
I also agree that pedigrees are misleading. When you consider that Fairy Friend is uncommon, Spritely & Spell-Defying are rare, you shouldn't mind a "low" pedigree. That being said, I do worry somewhat with the low pedigree pets because of the talents that have *not* manifested. Do you know all 10 talents? Any of those 10 talents can cross over to the new pet progeny. I've worked very hard on many pet lines to eliminate "bad" talents so that I know what all 10 are. I've also had low pedigree pets get great talents as well, but that is more luck than anything else. I could just as easily have gotten Spirited or some other selfish talent.

I look at manifested talents, but I usually ask about the ones that haven't come out. Many people have no idea what they have and that is pause for me unless I'm doing a charity hatch for someone - which I do a lot. There are ways to take the guess work out of hatching, but sometimes it is just fun to hatch away blind and see what you get!

Happy pet projects!

Explorer
Jan 15, 2012
Quinn Shadowrider on Apr 1, 2013 wrote:
I also agree that pedigrees are misleading. When you consider that Fairy Friend is uncommon, Spritely & Spell-Defying are rare, you shouldn't mind a "low" pedigree. That being said, I do worry somewhat with the low pedigree pets because of the talents that have *not* manifested. Do you know all 10 talents? Any of those 10 talents can cross over to the new pet progeny. I've worked very hard on many pet lines to eliminate "bad" talents so that I know what all 10 are. I've also had low pedigree pets get great talents as well, but that is more luck than anything else. I could just as easily have gotten Spirited or some other selfish talent.

I look at manifested talents, but I usually ask about the ones that haven't come out. Many people have no idea what they have and that is pause for me unless I'm doing a charity hatch for someone - which I do a lot. There are ways to take the guess work out of hatching, but sometimes it is just fun to hatch away blind and see what you get!

Happy pet projects!
I agree, I had problems in the hatchery when i had my
Ladybug pet from the purreau's plentiful pet provisions.
I use to ask people why they don't wanna hatch with me.
Because that pet had
May cast sprite
Spell - Proof
Spell - Defy
Pip o' Plenty
And people didn't even look at the stats.
(Jennifer RavenBlade if you see this, good!)
So that proves how these are misleading.
Valkoor GoldSong lvl 68 myth

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Most people dont know the first thing about pets and pet hatching. They make their own theories and assumptions. In their mind, they think a high pedigree is a better pet, because it has more EPIC talents rather than common or uncommon talents.

People should do more research rather than assume things.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I don't look at the pedigree number. I look at the manifested talents. Many times I ask people what other talents are in the 'gene pool' and many have no idea, so I will hesitate in hatching with that person.

I know what all 10 talents are on my pets. What manifests is a whole different matter, but I can inform a person who hatches with me what other talents are present down to the last pip.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
CrazyZombie11440 on Apr 1, 2013 wrote:
I agree, I had problems in the hatchery when i had my
Ladybug pet from the purreau's plentiful pet provisions.
I use to ask people why they don't wanna hatch with me.
Because that pet had
May cast sprite
Spell - Proof
Spell - Defy
Pip o' Plenty
And people didn't even look at the stats.
(Jennifer RavenBlade if you see this, good!)
So that proves how these are misleading.
Valkoor GoldSong lvl 68 myth
well people want to hatch with their vision of the perfect pet in hops all the talents show on the new pet. Sadly its rare that happens LOL - for the lady bug pip is an auto fail just like any unwanted card, has a great chance of showing up in the pet it hatches with. It takes so many hatches to weed out the junk you dont want. I have been able to make pretty decent pets but i mostly self hatch now days. i.e spud+fairy / fairy, tower , proof defy, sprite etc.

I have 2 talents on lock down when i hatch they always show up ( proof and fairy) now the question is the other talents i want dont always show up. defy, mc tower, mc sprite. ( i would love to manufacturer a few proof, defy, sprite, fairy, mc tower pets for a couple lower level wizards i have.

Many are picky too.. if proof is not 10% its a fail for example. I have a polar cat running around that has proof 9% 5% defy sprite fairy unicorn. ( i have a remake of that pet so its a 10/5 then its good)

Survivor
Jul 20, 2009
Hannah Lifebringer on Mar 31, 2013 wrote:

Spell proof
Pain giver
Spritely
Fairy Friend

So i leveled my Kraken pet up to ancient. Then i hatched with with a Nightwalker. Like you said for two resons:

1.) i didnt have one of course

2.) i think the card would be potential for a death wizard in pvp.

So i agreed to hatch and i looked and i got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So i have a couple questions to ask? If a pedigree is higher will he heal more??? And my other question is anyone know what talents these would give me besides what i got
  • Uncommon
  • Ultra-Rare
  • Rare
  • Uncommon
  • Rare slot (Health Gift)
  • Epic
  • Epic
  • Epic
  • Rare Rare
I would love to know what talents these are before i train it!!!!!!

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
StormyZillas on Apr 3, 2013 wrote:
So i leveled my Kraken pet up to ancient. Then i hatched with with a Nightwalker. Like you said for two resons:

So i have a couple questions to ask? If a pedigree is higher will he heal more??? And my other question is anyone know what talents these would give me besides what i got
  • Uncommon
  • Ultra-Rare
  • Rare
  • Uncommon
  • Epic
  • Epic
  • Epic
  • Rare Rare
Pedigree (high or low) will not determine if a pet will cast a spell.

I have noticed certain 'triggers' for some may cast talents. For Example: putting a trap on a enemy that has a shield my trigger the MC pierce spell on your pet. Attacking will trigger the MC blade talents. I think everything can trigger a MC sprite, unicorn, or fairy, although they seem to work more when playing in groups.

As for the talents you may get, without knowing the talents of the parents, it would be impossible for anyone to guess. You must also remember that some talents will manifest in your pet even if they were not manifested in the parent pets.

Hannah Lifebringer level 90 Life

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
StormyZillas on Apr 3, 2013 wrote:

• Uncommon
  • Ultra-Rare
  • Rare
  • Uncommon
  • Epic
  • Epic
  • Epic
  • Rare Rare
There's no way for other people to tell you what talents are on your pet. When you hatch with others, it's best to look at what has manifested on the other pet, plus ask what other talents may be in the gene pool.

For example, one of my pets has these:

Ultra rare = Sharp shot
Epic = May cast Balance blade
Ultra rare = Pain Giver (manifested)
Epic = Proof (manifested)
Rare = May cast Spritely (manifested)
Rare = Defy (manifested)
Uncommon = May cast Fairy (manifested)
Epic = May cast Unicorn
Epic = Critical

I know what all these talents are (or could be), because of hatching with my own pets, or with other people I know very well, and they know what potential talents are on their pet(s).