Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Clarification of Damage Modifiers

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 31, 2008
Greetings, students. I trust that your studies are going well in your respective schools and that you are conducting yourselves appropriately in your journeys throughout the Spiral. I have decided to speak to you concerning various mechanics of Magic that you may encounter. Today, I will address the idea of Damage Modifiers. Please prepare to take notes.

If you have a damage modifier on a piece of equipment, it will be clearly labeled as to how much additional damage it will provide. There are two sorts of modifiers to damage: a percentile damage modifier and a flat-rate damage modifier.

If you have a piece of equipment that is labeled “+x% Damage” then that percentage of damage will be added to the base amount of your spell damage. For example, if you have a hat that grants you +3% Damage, if you cast a spell that causes 200 points of damage, it will add an additional 6 points of damage. (Damage + Modifier % = Total damage. 200 + 6 = 206 damage).

If you have a piece of equipment that is labeled “+x Damage” then that is a flat rate of damage that is applied to your base damage amount, regardless of how much it is. For example, if you have a pair of boots that grant you +3 Damage, then it will add 3 additional points of damage to any damage spell you cast.

Also note, some equipment may only modify damage to a particular school rather than all outgoing damage. Refer to your character sheet to see your total damage modifiers for each school.

I do hope this is clear. I will periodically address you with enlightening bits of knowledge as to the intricacies of Magic in the Spiral. If you have questions, you may address them to me. I may even deign to answer them.

“To control the Future, one must look to the Past.”
Defender
Jan 25, 2009
*taking notes* Wait Professor, how did you end up getting 6 at the end of the "Damage + Modifier %= 200 + 6 ?" Shouldn't it be 200+3=203? My calculator gives the same answer as yours but how do I work without the calculator??

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Thank you prof. Alot of wizards may need this info badly.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i saw a +3 (with no percentage) the other day on my fire wizard's hat and thought it was a glitch, as it didn't appear to count toward her stat bonuses. thanks for clarifying.

-von

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
KorekuEternal on Feb 16, 2013 wrote:
*taking notes* Wait Professor, how did you end up getting 6 at the end of the "Damage + Modifier %= 200 + 6 ?" Shouldn't it be 200+3=203? My calculator gives the same answer as yours but how do I work without the calculator??
Jennyjtim, if you are working this on paper, you take the "Damage + Modifier %" and work it this way:

200 Base damage of spell
x .03 Modifier %
600 now place your decimal point in 2 spaces from the right. That gives you 6.00 or 6.

If there is not percentage sign, you just add the amount directly to the base damage "Damage + Modifier".

200 Base damage of spell
+ 3 Modifier (no percentage)

Hope this helps.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Just curious, in what order do damage modifiers such as bubbles play out? In the order that you play them, or before blades?

Also, one last question before I go. Will you do my laundry for me tomorrow?

Survivor
May 31, 2008
Goldendragon18 is absolutely correct in his calculations. Excellent work.

Ronster55, Auras are applied to damage calculation before hanging effects. That was an astute question. As to your follow-up question, however… I will dispatch some of my minions to gather up your laundry at once. Granted, when they are done, they tend to scatter said laundry in various hard-to-reach locations throughout the Spiral. But that shouldn’t pose any problems, I trust. I’m sure you’ll be able to be to your next class on time, in uniform.

“To control the Future, one must look to the Past.”
Defender
Feb 27, 2009
Professor Drake on Feb 22, 2013 wrote:
Goldendragon18 is absolutely correct in his calculations. Excellent work.

Ronster55, Auras are applied to damage calculation before hanging effects. That was an astute question. As to your follow-up question, however… I will dispatch some of my minions to gather up your laundry at once. Granted, when they are done, they tend to scatter said laundry in various hard-to-reach locations throughout the Spiral. But that shouldn’t pose any problems, I trust. I’m sure you’ll be able to be to your next class on time, in uniform.
Hey, the guy that takes care of the laundry found them in Dragonspyre where he went to the Crown of Fire and found out that Morganthe took your brothers soul and Sylvia is worried. She wants to stop it and is pleading to be risen from the dead so she can kill Malistare.

Survivor
Dec 15, 2012
Professor Drake on Feb 15, 2013 wrote:
Greetings, students. I trust that your studies are going well in your respective schools and that you are conducting yourselves appropriately in your journeys throughout the Spiral. I have decided to speak to you concerning various mechanics of Magic that you may encounter. Today, I will address the idea of Damage Modifiers. Please prepare to take notes.

If you have a damage modifier on a piece of equipment, it will be clearly labeled as to how much additional damage it will provide. There are two sorts of modifiers to damage: a percentile damage modifier and a flat-rate damage modifier.

If you have a piece of equipment that is labeled “+x% Damage” then that percentage of damage will be added to the base amount of your spell damage. For example, if you have a hat that grants you +3% Damage, if you cast a spell that causes 200 points of damage, it will add an additional 6 points of damage. (Damage + Modifier % = Total damage. 200 + 6 = 206 damage).

If you have a piece of equipment that is labeled “+x Damage” then that is a flat rate of damage that is applied to your base damage amount, regardless of how much it is. For example, if you have a pair of boots that grant you +3 Damage, then it will add 3 additional points of damage to any damage spell you cast.

Also note, some equipment may only modify damage to a particular school rather than all outgoing damage. Refer to your character sheet to see your total damage modifiers for each school.

I do hope this is clear. I will periodically address you with enlightening bits of knowledge as to the intricacies of Magic in the Spiral. If you have questions, you may address them to me. I may even deign to answer them.
Thank you Professer Drake! Every post by the Ravenwood staff is always helpful! Have fun teaching Professer! And if have any more tips Professer Drake could you please inform me? Thank you for using your spare time to read this.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Thank you Professor Drake.

I am sorry though that my Myth wizard has been absent from class lately, but she is on assignment in Marleybone. I promise I will make up all my lessons as soon as it is finished. hehe