Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mind the word order, please.

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jun 14, 2016
Currently there are mentions of "Oni no X". This should be "X no Oni" instead, since "no" (の) is a postposition in Japanese.

Defender
Jun 09, 2015
sKochiya on Jun 21, 2016 wrote:
Currently there are mentions of "Oni no X". This should be "X no Oni" instead, since "no" (の) is a postposition in Japanese.
I have no idea what you mean

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
He is pointing out a grammar error in the Japanese names for the oni that are creating havoc in Mooshu

The monster we fight inside Shirataki Temple is called, in-game, "Oni no Plague"

Which is supposed to mean "Demon of Plague" in Japanese, but the way KI wrote it out, it actually says "Plague of Demons".

Same for "Oni no Death" which, as written, actually translates to "Death of Oni".

It's like writing "Loom of the Fruit" when you mean to say "Fruit of the Loom". Or saying "End's Land" when we mean "Land's End". The -no- particle is like a " 's " possessive and follows the noun which "owns" the following noun.

The correct word-order would be "Death no Oni", "Plague no Oni", etc. (Actual entities of elemental horror in Japanese culture have specific, proper names that shall not be repeated here.)

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
mario king on Jun 22, 2016 wrote:
The OP is referring to Japanese grammar. How it is being used now, versus how it should be used.

Best of luck!
S.S.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Rather than 'Oni no War' it should be 'War no Oni', I think.

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
Currently NPCs and treasure cards mention "Oni no War" and "Oni no Death". But as they stand, these terms actually mean "war of the oni" and "death of the oni" respectively, since the Japanese particle "no" 「の」 is more like the English "'s", rather than "of". The correct phrasing would be "War no Oni" and "Death no Oni", respectively, though I do have to question why they mixed English and Japanese words.

Explorer
Jan 27, 2013
sKochiya on Jun 22, 2016 wrote:
Currently NPCs and treasure cards mention "Oni no War" and "Oni no Death". But as they stand, these terms actually mean "war of the oni" and "death of the oni" respectively, since the Japanese particle "no" 「の」 is more like the English "'s", rather than "of". The correct phrasing would be "War no Oni" and "Death no Oni", respectively, though I do have to question why they mixed English and Japanese words.
If I had to guess, KingsIsle used "no" as a direct translation of "of". While this is correct in some cases, most of the time, "no" is a possessive, as you've said. However, they probably mixed English and Japanese words because of Mooshu's severe Japanese influence. Oni is a Japanese word as well: Demon.
Demon of War: Oni No War
Word for word translation.

Dakota TitanHeart
Prodigious Diviner