Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gear Trading

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 15, 2015
Hello,

I've been playing Wizard101 for about 7 years now and every other MMO i've played or heard about has this in the game. I see no reason why not to put this in the game. Just make it an addition to the "Trade" button when you click on a friend. Either click the regular "Trade" (which has been in the game since the beginning) or click on the other option Trade Gear with your friends. This isn't just helping people with MANY things in the game but it also makes the game more of a community. Now obviously you can make some exceptions like crown gear that has been actually bought with "Crowns Currency" could not be traded but if the "Crowns" gear has been dropped than it should be allowed for trade.
Thank you
Sincerely,
Chris Stormfriend

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I highly doubt this will ever happen. It would open up way too many problems and opportunities for abuse. There are too many children that play the game.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
MASONthelegendwarl... on May 22, 2016 wrote:
Hello,

I've been playing Wizard101 for about 7 years now and every other MMO i've played or heard about has this in the game. I see no reason why not to put this in the game. Just make it an addition to the "Trade" button when you click on a friend. Either click the regular "Trade" (which has been in the game since the beginning) or click on the other option Trade Gear with your friends. This isn't just helping people with MANY things in the game but it also makes the game more of a community. Now obviously you can make some exceptions like crown gear that has been actually bought with "Crowns Currency" could not be traded but if the "Crowns" gear has been dropped than it should be allowed for trade.
Thank you
Sincerely,
Chris Stormfriend
No, people need to farm Darkmoor instead of getting it from other people.

Lvl 110
Lvl 104
Lvl 27

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
You know the culture must be changing at KI. I can't tell you how many times I tried to make a post or start a topic about trading, only to have parts of my post censored or the topic prevented from even making the boards.

I feel the same as you, I'd be hard pressed to remember a MMO I've played that I couldn't trade gear, money, items with other players. I'd really enjoy the ability to trade gear, gold, reagents, pet snacks, jewels, arena tickets, you name it.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
If it was only certain gear I think that it would be okay. Also if it was maybe like True Friends only or something.

Explorer
Apr 30, 2010
I love the idea, but there'd have to be some form of warning like

"You're giving away items, and getting none in return, Are you sure you wish to proceed?"
or
"You're offering a valuble item, are you sure you wish to continue?" etc.

due to scammers. I cant imagine how many people have been jipped out of TC, or gifted some stranger, under a "promise" of better stuff, only to have the player port away or change realms, stealing said item. Now imagine this on a much grander scale.

It'd also promote people making alts/friends, then going to a boss with their strongest wizard, and bringing the alts/friends along to get 4 players worth of loot. Then simply trading it all to the main person. This makes Darkmoor, Omen, And other high-loot areas too easy to abuse and exploit. You could get a full darkmoor set in one go, with 3 other wizards of your class

Just my 2 cents
-Shadow

Survivor
Mar 15, 2015
Shadow warrior on May 23, 2016 wrote:
I love the idea, but there'd have to be some form of warning like

"You're giving away items, and getting none in return, Are you sure you wish to proceed?"
or
"You're offering a valuble item, are you sure you wish to continue?" etc.

due to scammers. I cant imagine how many people have been jipped out of TC, or gifted some stranger, under a "promise" of better stuff, only to have the player port away or change realms, stealing said item. Now imagine this on a much grander scale.

It'd also promote people making alts/friends, then going to a boss with their strongest wizard, and bringing the alts/friends along to get 4 players worth of loot. Then simply trading it all to the main person. This makes Darkmoor, Omen, And other high-loot areas too easy to abuse and exploit. You could get a full darkmoor set in one go, with 3 other wizards of your class

Just my 2 cents
-Shadow
I do understand the whole "Scamming" situation but then again what difference does it make? It happens now anyways as it is. I understand that there is little kids who play the game and are easy to manipulate by people who have no respect or are evil minded, but this doesn't mean that you cannot put such a thing in the game. I'm sure the community would love such a thing and after all it is a MMO, it's meant for gear grinding and as hard as it may be for people to get certain gear i'm surely positive that "Scammers" won't have such an easy time. After all the Darkmoor gear i would say is far more valuable than anything else in the game so far. So this will give scammers a hard time 100% Plus the people that have full darkmoor gear and keep grinding it with their friends, and happen to get another piece of gear they have they would most likely feed it to their pet. What i'd do (obviously i'd keep a spare for each piece of gear in my bank).

Sincerely,
Chris StormFriend

Survivor
Apr 09, 2011
I totally agree with the trading system.The trading system is a basic principle of every mmo.
Ki stop struggling for the Family Game of the year award,and create something that will maybe even bring more people in the game rather than protecting some kids.There are extreme measures such as protected accounts or parent-blocked accounts and parents can disable trade or limit it if they want.The age verification can block the trade system for kids under 13 and allow the rest to have some fun.Not all gear tradeable ofc this never happens and it shouldn't,darkmoor gear,crown items and no-trade shouldn't be able to be traded.Do not forget this will open new horizons,we do have the typic gold bazzaar but this could create a new crowns bazzaar allowing people to buy some unique gear other sold for double the crowns it was sold for and the company will also have a great profit out of this.
Think this through many have asked for this,and just give us what we want KI.

Angel FrostBreeze 110
Digby Jadefriend 110

Survivor
Mar 27, 2010
I totally agree with this, it's a big part of MMO's and there really isn't a reason for not adding this in the game. I understand the kids and the scammers, but is it right to not enable this just for ones sake??? Plus KI could more than likely make parent restrictions on trading in general if there kid is too young and may have a chance of getting scammed because they're too gullible.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Yes but:

Every other MMORPG allows trading between players

but

Every other MMORPG does not allow players to have more than one character logged on at the same time (KI does, you just need more than one account.)
Every other MMORPG does not allow players to have more than one account
Every other MMORPG does not allow trading between characters belonging to the same account (because you can't have more than one - not legally).

Having run other MMORPGs in the past, things such as multiple accounts are bannable offenses.

Would you like KI to change that? If we're going to say that this game has to be structured the way that the other MMORPGs are, and has to allow trading between players, then like it or not, all players must have only one account and only one character in that account. Somehow, I don't think you want to see that take place.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
crystalwizard12345... on May 25, 2016 wrote:
Yes but:

but

Every other MMORPG does not allow players to have more than one character logged on at the same time (KI does, you just need more than one account.)
Every other MMORPG does not allow trading between characters belonging to the same account (because you can't have more than one - not legally).

Having run other MMORPGs in the past, things such as multiple accounts are bannable offenses.

Would you like KI to change that? If we're going to say that this game has to be structured the way that the other MMORPGs are, and has to allow trading between players, then like it or not, all players must have only one account and only one character in that account. Somehow, I don't think you want to see that take place.
So you've played every MMO past and present?

1. Not true
2. Not true
3. Not true

Even if all the above statements were true I'm not sure how that would prevent gear/item trading amongst players.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2015
crystalwizard12345... on May 25, 2016 wrote:
Yes but:

but

You're mentioning all of the negatives but if you were to point out all of the positives from other MMORPG games it wouldn't even come close in relation with Wizard101. There's a reason why they're out there more and more popular than Wizard101. My point exactly. Copy other MMORPG's KI

Thank you

Chris Stormfriend

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
MASONthelegendwarl... on May 26, 2016 wrote:
You're mentioning all of the negatives but if you were to point out all of the positives from other MMORPG games it wouldn't even come close in relation with Wizard101. There's a reason why they're out there more and more popular than Wizard101. My point exactly. Copy other MMORPG's KI

Thank you

Chris Stormfriend
Wizard101 isn't as popular because it doesn't have gear trading? Nah, there are other reasons including not f2p, broken pvp and boring combat.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
I still think Tradeable Gear should be tradeable throughout all characters on a Shared Account. If a player gets three Life Darkmoor Robes on her Life Wizard, she should be able to put two of them in an Account Shared bank that allows another family member whose account is linked to hers to retrieve it and equip on his Life Wizard.

Expanding it past that isn't something I'd like to see for whom a major portion of the target audience is child/tween/teen.

Survivor
Mar 01, 2009
I think it would just open up more opportunities for abuse than anything else.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
I would like this, but I doubt it'll ever happen in this type of "kid freindly" game. And if some people are annoyed by beggars now imagine how it would be if valuable gear items were tradable. I do wish this could happen though. They could make it a setting that's off by default and that you'd have to log in with the master password of an account to enable, that way young kids wouldn't get cheated out of their items as easily.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
MASONthelegendwarl... on May 26, 2016 wrote:

Thank you

Chris Stormfriend
odd. other mmorpgs are more popular? Maybe with the crowd that wants to do nothing but grind. Ever gotten a quest here to kill 1 million of a certain type of mob? That's pretty standard on the grinding games. You won't find that here.

And it's strange that w101 isn't popular when there are so many people playing that not only does the game require a server farm to run on, but multiple instances of common areas (like the commons) because there are so many people logged in all the time.

How, exactly, do you define popular?

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Mr Talon on May 25, 2016 wrote:
So you've played every MMO past and present?

1. Not true
2. Not true
3. Not true

Even if all the above statements were true I'm not sure how that would prevent gear/item trading amongst players.
>So you've played every MMO past and present?

Quite a few of them AND run/designed/programed sevmeral. Yeah.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2015
Adam Wintersinger on May 28, 2016 wrote:
Wizard101 isn't as popular because it doesn't have gear trading? Nah, there are other reasons including not f2p, broken pvp and boring combat.
I don't understand why you just assume I only mentioned "Gear Trading" only as a subject. I literally said in quotes (in which you quoted me to replying) that there's so many other things "POSITIVE" things other MMORPGs have. Other than gear trading and all the others mentioned in the comment. Please read before replying, or even quoting me on something you clearly got the wrong message from.
Thank you
Chris Stormfriend

Defender
Jun 13, 2012
I truly adore this idea. I have more than one account -five, actually- and often times my thaumaturge receives an item that my sorceress could wear. Often times, I sell the item due to my icy magician not being able to wear the non-sorcerer forbidding "enchantment" it has and vice versa. This idea should be implemented between family-linked accounts and/or true friends (which my main two accounts are both).
-With lots of love, your icy-soul-magician, Miranda Dreamsong

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
crystalwizard12345... on May 29, 2016 wrote:
>So you've played every MMO past and present?

Quite a few of them AND run/designed/programed sevmeral. Yeah.
So that means you haven't played them all, despite your extensive experience. I too have played quite a few so I know your statements about what every other MMORPG doesn't allow is untrue.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2015
Miranda Dreamsong on May 30, 2016 wrote:
I truly adore this idea. I have more than one account -five, actually- and often times my thaumaturge receives an item that my sorceress could wear. Often times, I sell the item due to my icy magician not being able to wear the non-sorcerer forbidding "enchantment" it has and vice versa. This idea should be implemented between family-linked accounts and/or true friends (which my main two accounts are both).
-With lots of love, your icy-soul-magician, Miranda Dreamsong
I love this idea. If you have linked accounts, or are "Truly Friends" (true friend code) with the other person than you should be able to trade gear with the other person. Since after all you do have him as a close friend or relative.
@KI Please the least you can do is tell us WHY this wouldn't be a good idea.
Thank you
Chris StormFriend