Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Darkmoor is too easy now

AuthorMessage
Champion
Mar 28, 2010
So, I was helping my brother's ice with darkmoor on my and I realized that Darkmoor was SUPER EASY! I got through Yevgeny and Shane in 4 rounds and Mali took 12.
Not only that but Mali's pierce went from 70 to 40. Don't you think this is too little of a challenge compared to what it once was? I knew about the December Darkmoor nerf, it made Darkmoor easy but recently they nerfed it again with the Spring update. Neither of these nerfs were necessary imo. I'll admit, the Dec. nerf was somewhat necessary but only for critical and block, the health and pips were completely unnecessary. Some may think I'm ungrateful about these nerfs but tbh, Darkmoor is not a challenge anymore. Nothing in this game is anymore. Soloing is a different story however (so don't reply to this saying that I can't solo it). Rasputin, Omen and Malistaire are considered to be the hardest bosses in the game however none of these bosses are even HARD. Which is why I propose that we buff Darkmoor.

Lvl 110
Lvl 84
Lvl 27

Survivor
Jul 02, 2012
I'm going to have to disagree with your proposal.

Many, many, many players asked that Darkmoor be made easier and I'm fairly happy with the way it is now (my opinion). Not ALL players can kill 'Yvengy and Shane in 4 rounds' nor Malistaire in 12 like you stated because we all use different strategies and it depends on the spells that the creatures use as well. This could have been only luck. But I congratulate you for beating it so quickly (more than I ever did thus far).

Do note that the Malistaire gear is part of the best in the game, so it makes sense to let everyone get a shot at it. It's still a very tough challenge, especially for those who have never been in before. And frankly, I don't think there will be another change made to Darkmoor over raising boss statistics considering the two that the have made already, degrading their stats.

Why complain over something that's "easy"?
How about the old Malistaire in DragonSpyre?
Did you already receive your full set (or at least what you wanted)?

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Only one of my wizards has made it through the 2nd Darkmoor dungeon and is the only one to get a spell.

Why?
- Because I don't have the perfect team to go in.
- I don't have enough friends online at the same time to do the dungeon.
- I also hate Team Up, because you get people who leave ALL THE TIME, leaving you to die, therefore, not achieving your goal of getting the dungeons completed.
- People also don't want me in because I'm not using the school 'they' want.
- Plus, they don't want me in because I don't have ANY Darkmoor gear or have the Darkmoor spell yet (which is why I'm there in the first place)

It doesn't mean I'm a bad player. Even though many of my wizards have better overall stats than those WITH Darkmoor gear, I still can't get through all 3 dungeons with a random team.

Everyone should have a shot at getting through the Darkmoor and get the gear. In my opinion, it seems to me you are just showing off how special you are that you consider tough dungeons easy. Elitists are few and far between compared to the 'normal' players of this game, who struggle every day to get what they need to complete their quests/bosses/dungeons.

Proclaiming "Darkmoor is too easy now" on the boards just isn't cool. Being cool is maybe helping people who are lacking decent gear and helping them through Darkmoor without any expectations upon completion.

Survivor
Jan 09, 2011
BrynnerOfReign on Apr 27, 2016 wrote:
Only one of my wizards has made it through the 2nd Darkmoor dungeon and is the only one to get a spell.

Why?
- I also hate Team Up, because you get people who leave ALL THE TIME, leaving you to die, therefore, not achieving your goal of getting the dungeons completed.
- Plus, they don't want me in because I don't have ANY Darkmoor gear or have the Darkmoor spell yet (which is why I'm there in the first place)

It doesn't mean I'm a bad player. Even though many of my wizards have better overall stats than those WITH Darkmoor gear, I still can't get through all 3 dungeons with a random team.

Everyone should have a shot at getting through the Darkmoor and get the gear. In my opinion, it seems to me you are just showing off how special you are that you consider tough dungeons easy. Elitists are few and far between compared to the 'normal' players of this game, who struggle every day to get what they need to complete their quests/bosses/dungeons.

Proclaiming "Darkmoor is too easy now" on the boards just isn't cool. Being cool is maybe helping people who are lacking decent gear and helping them through Darkmoor without any expectations upon completion.
I will be willing to help you get through darkmoor. I have the same problem. I get a team and then after first fight everyone leaves

Survivor
Dec 20, 2010
I personally agree, Recently I had a challenge if I could solo darkmoor with 3 chances in mind, On my second I had done it and killed shadow malistaire easily, it didn't take me long to enchant Blade critical attack in less than 20-50 rounds.

Dylan LegendSmith, Prodigious Necromancer

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I'll guarantee you that while you may have found it simpler based on your past experiences, it is still going to be tough sledding for a lot of people. I'm sorry that you feel slighted by not having to face as tough a foe, but there are a lot of other people who felt slighted for the opposite reason as well.

The dungeon has been out for over a year now. My guess is KI probably felt that most people who wanted to already had their "fun" with the mega challenge. Polaris was a short world. Now was probably the perfect time to make Darkmoor a little more attractive to the people who need something to do until a new world comes out... particularly those who had no desire to do Darkmoor in the year between it's release and the release of Polaris because it's demands were beyond what they were willing to invest.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
As with all things, when KingsIsle realize it needed to be nerfed, they didn't do it logically, or stop at a reasonable point. It is now easier to do Darkmoor with a team of 100s than it is to do Waterworks with the same team. Players are demanding still further nerfing, and KingsIsle will listen.

Eventually, what was supposed to be an OPTIONAL challenging dungeon giving gear that is absolutely not necessary for anything in PVE, certainly not the world following its release, will be finishable by Team Up groups in thirty minutes with no strategizing, going woohoo YOLO.

I'm all for the storyline being playable by every single player, even those unwilling to look, think or strategize. It's disappointing that dungeons created solely to encourage players to look, think and strategize (and to be fun to those who already did), are now being nerfed to the point that they, too, can be done with none of that.

The original release of this game did include some challenge despite what players will tell you. It's frustrating to hear those players yell the loudest and get what they want. A game that is no longer fun because it requires no actual playing.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
PaigeGoldenspear on Apr 28, 2016 wrote:
As with all things, when KingsIsle realize it needed to be nerfed, they didn't do it logically, or stop at a reasonable point. It is now easier to do Darkmoor with a team of 100s than it is to do Waterworks with the same team. Players are demanding still further nerfing, and KingsIsle will listen.

Eventually, what was supposed to be an OPTIONAL challenging dungeon giving gear that is absolutely not necessary for anything in PVE, certainly not the world following its release, will be finishable by Team Up groups in thirty minutes with no strategizing, going woohoo YOLO.

I'm all for the storyline being playable by every single player, even those unwilling to look, think or strategize. It's disappointing that dungeons created solely to encourage players to look, think and strategize (and to be fun to those who already did), are now being nerfed to the point that they, too, can be done with none of that.

The original release of this game did include some challenge despite what players will tell you. It's frustrating to hear those players yell the loudest and get what they want. A game that is no longer fun because it requires no actual playing.
Say it loud! Eventually KI will add a button that allows people to log on, choose their wizard and then just click the button and the wizard plays itself. No thinking, no planning, no work. Just like watching TV with a very limited amount of interaction. Want a new spell? Click a button and get any spell you want...no school restrictions. Want the perfect pet? Click another button and there it is with all the talents money can buy. No longer will you have to team up to take on those tough bosses. They'll be dumbed-down to the point they can't even tie their own shoes. No more of that worrisome questing and thinking and stuff. It will be a land in which the streets are paved with Potent Trap TCs and lined with Amber. Mastery Amulets will rain from the heavens and every day is Free Crowns Day!!!
-Or- KI will be reasonable and keep the game moving in the direction it's going. KI gets a lot of criticism for the changes they've made... some of it deserved... but I think they're making headway. But if the chronic "easy-streeters" get their way the game will eventually be no challenge and no fun.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
monkey99700 on Apr 27, 2016 wrote:
I will be willing to help you get through darkmoor. I have the same problem. I get a team and then after first fight everyone leaves
Thanks Monkey!

I would love to get 4 of my wizards through Darkmoor .... even if it's just once. My Myth is the only one who made it through the 2nd dungeon, the rest need to do the whole thing.

110 -
92 & below -

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
I wasn't going to reply to this post as I'm not yet at a level to go to Darkmoor so I can have no opinion about this dungeon.
However the utter contempt expressed toward other players in these two posts have riled me up: Paige Goldenspear & TucsonWizard.
I have done the majority of the game solo, I think & strategize, I try to get the best gear and pet to help me along, I generally avoid team up because of players who quit at one look at me, my school ( Death ) my level ( 96 ) or my gear.
My gear isn't the best but its not garbage, either.
I attempted Xibalba 5 times because of quitters, finally got the help of another quester - we duoed that dungeon.
The majority of players replying to this post also think & strategize - they are trying their darnedest to pass through these dungeons and your attitudes towards them aren't helping.
I would prefer simpler dungeons because Wizard101 has become completely hostile to a solo player.
BTW I haven't been able to complete either the Waterworks or Tower of the Helephant because of team up quitters.

Survivor
May 26, 2013
Honestly, I think that you should make something like a old Wizard101. Now hear me out if you have ever wanted to keep playing how it was back then, you should make a mode where if you want to play the game before any update you can, but I already know there is gonna be a catch to pay or have membership or something. I think you should really consider this because every body knows that the new wizard101 is potatoes and the old one was good. I want to play a game that I enjoy and that I can have a challenge.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
MarissatheFT on Apr 27, 2016 wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree with your proposal.

Many, many, many players asked that Darkmoor be made easier and I'm fairly happy with the way it is now (my opinion). Not ALL players can kill 'Yvengy and Shane in 4 rounds' nor Malistaire in 12 like you stated because we all use different strategies and it depends on the spells that the creatures use as well. This could have been only luck. But I congratulate you for beating it so quickly (more than I ever did thus far).

Do note that the Malistaire gear is part of the best in the game, so it makes sense to let everyone get a shot at it. It's still a very tough challenge, especially for those who have never been in before. And frankly, I don't think there will be another change made to Darkmoor over raising boss statistics considering the two that the have made already, degrading their stats.

Why complain over something that's "easy"?
How about the old Malistaire in DragonSpyre?
Did you already receive your full set (or at least what you wanted)?
I'll answer your questions first.
1. If everything was as easy as Krokotopia or Wizard City, would this game still be enjoyable? Exactly.
2. I never did Malistaire when he had 100k health in DS but that did certainly seems like a challenge, something I would like to see out of Darkmoor.
3. Yes, but that is NOT what is driving me to make this thread, I have the gear on my ice, fire, balance and life but my death and myth still need it.

Keep in mind that Malistaire is 100% optional, you do not need to darkmoor to access anything special in the storyline, you don't even need the 2nd part spell (but it's good getting that anyway) and the gear isn't even necessary for completing Polaris or Khrysalis. The only real use for it is for pvp.

TusconWizard and PaigeMoonShade explain this extremely well

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
BrynnerOfReign on Apr 27, 2016 wrote:

Why?

Finding a team was hard before and after the nerf, at least for me, I noticed literally no difference in the amount of time it took for me to find a team. Even if Kingsisle nerfed Darkmoor again, the school issues and long team waiting times will still continue to exist. Believe me, I have experienced how long it takes to get a team (although not to the scale of myth), it often takes me 30+ minutes to find a team.

Also for the record, I am not trying to show off and I don't consider myself an elitist but that's all opinion based. Besides, I had a way faster team that I was with on my balance that could do it in 8 rounds, I see no reason to brag.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
Dylan LegendSmith on Apr 27, 2016 wrote:
I personally agree, Recently I had a challenge if I could solo darkmoor with 3 chances in mind, On my second I had done it and killed shadow malistaire easily, it didn't take me long to enchant Blade critical attack in less than 20-50 rounds.

Dylan LegendSmith, Prodigious Necromancer
You soloed it? That's pretty impressive man.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
High Five Ghost on Apr 28, 2016 wrote:
I'll guarantee you that while you may have found it simpler based on your past experiences, it is still going to be tough sledding for a lot of people. I'm sorry that you feel slighted by not having to face as tough a foe, but there are a lot of other people who felt slighted for the opposite reason as well.

The dungeon has been out for over a year now. My guess is KI probably felt that most people who wanted to already had their "fun" with the mega challenge. Polaris was a short world. Now was probably the perfect time to make Darkmoor a little more attractive to the people who need something to do until a new world comes out... particularly those who had no desire to do Darkmoor in the year between it's release and the release of Polaris because it's demands were beyond what they were willing to invest.
Here's the thing: Darkmoor is unnecessary, you don't need to do it. If it was too demanding, it was your choice if you wanted to do it, which is why I don't think it was a great idea to nerf it. The dungeon was a lot of fun before the nerf but now it feels more like a chore. I remember that I did a few runs with a couple of friends a day before the nerf, we were enjoying ourselves and having long and extended conversations while also formulating a strategy. Now that people can do it in under 1 hour with very little, that sounds more like a chore and NOT as fun and challenging as it used to be.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010

Took the words right out of my mouth, good job

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
BrynnerOfReign on Apr 28, 2016 wrote:
Thanks Monkey!

I would love to get 4 of my wizards through Darkmoor .... even if it's just once. My Myth is the only one who made it through the 2nd dungeon, the rest need to do the whole thing.

110 -
92 & below -
I'm in the same boat as you. My myth is the only one that has made it through. need to do it. I'd be up for joining if possible.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009

Hear Hear! I am all for easy mainline quests and it really disappoints me that an area that was supposed to be challenging is now a joke compared to its original state.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
anecorbie on Apr 28, 2016 wrote:
I wasn't going to reply to this post as I'm not yet at a level to go to Darkmoor so I can have no opinion about this dungeon.
However the utter contempt expressed toward other players in these two posts have riled me up: Paige Goldenspear & TucsonWizard.
I have done the majority of the game solo, I think & strategize, I try to get the best gear and pet to help me along, I generally avoid team up because of players who quit at one look at me, my school ( Death ) my level ( 96 ) or my gear.
I attempted Xibalba 5 times because of quitters, finally got the help of another quester - we duoed that dungeon.
The majority of players replying to this post also think & strategize - they are trying their darnedest to pass through these dungeons and your attitudes towards them aren't helping.
I would prefer simpler dungeons because Wizard101 has become completely hostile to a solo player.
BTW I haven't been able to complete either the Waterworks or Tower of the Helephant because of team up quitters.
I don't harbor contempt for the other wizards in this game and I don't recall using the terms every or all when referring to them. I simply don't understand the constant demands from many posters for easier bosses, quicker quests and more freebies. Every other post is a complaint, and many of these complaints are about instances that have been in the game for a very long time. It seems like any time one of these folks doesn't have immediate success either with a quest, or finding a reagent, or catching a fish, it becomes a reason to demand wholesale sweeping changes to the game. There's such a "hurry up" attitude about the entire experience and that's what really gets me. I've been a gamer for a long time. (I could very well have been gaming before some of these wizards were born) and I've played a lot of games. What I've found to be consistent is that the ones I've enjoyed have been a challenge. If I load a game and can breeze through it in no time then that game is a one-time experience because it doesn't stimulate me. If it doesn't present a challenge then it's not worthy of my time. That's what endears this game (and Pirate101) to me so much... it's stimulating. There are so many opportunities for replay, and with that, so many different strategies to be employed. It frustrates me that so many people want to lessen this experience by making things easier.
So, I offended you and for that I'm truly sorry... but the fact remains that there is a large contingency of folks who would rather not be challenged, and who'd rather not be worried by strategy and tactics. To those people I say try something different. If this game ain't your cup of tea then try a new one but don't demand changes to things that have been successfully accomplished by thousands of people before you. The folks that think and strategize aren't the target of my post. It's the ones that choose not to that I'm addressing.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
Keep in mind that Darkmoor is unnecessary, Xibalba isn't. None of the Darkmoor gear is even needed to compete Polaris and I doubt you'll need Darkmoor gear to solo the next world. Soloing hard dungeons like Waterworks, TOTH and Darkmoor has become more of an achievement than a pleasure. I have seen people solo ALL of these dungeons, it just takes work.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
Eric Stormbringer on Apr 29, 2016 wrote:
Hear Hear! I am all for easy mainline quests and it really disappoints me that an area that was supposed to be challenging is now a joke compared to its original state.
I couldn't agree with you more!

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
That wasn't contempt. It's disappointment that there can't be anything requiring thought left in the game.

Waterworks, ToTH, and Graveyard were never intended to be soloable and I'm not sure I'd classify a handful of optional dungeons as hostile to the solo player. I soloed, on three wizards (Life, Death & Fire) almost the entire game, in pre-nerf Azteca. Two of those characters basically soloed Khrysalis. Fire found a questing partner about halfway through Khrysalis. All required a full team for Darkmoor.

I soloed a Balance to Avalon and a Storm through Zafaria in the post-nerf Azteca era. Then I took a hiatus.

Both now have a questing partner in Azteca, (my least favorite world), and they may never leave it as he doesn't much like questing in general, so if I don't say "Hey, let's go" he's going to go beat people 40 levels above him in Ranked 1v1.

For dungeons like the above, I'd stand at the sigils until I found some help. I couldn't solo Xibalba, didn't try it, and I know there were situations (throughout all worlds) where I'd move to a Crowded Realm and ask f I could join because I was having difficulty soloing specific things, mobs/instances/dungeons etc...

I never said these posters didn't think or strategize. I said that this dungeon in its original form was designed for and appealed to those that did. It is almost possible to do it without those things now, and people are demanding further nerfing. I'm not sure what other conclusion to draw than that those demanding the nerfs aren't willing to do such.

No, I don't want KI to turn Darkmoor into an (easily) soloable dungeon. I fully support it, like WW and ToTH, requiring a team of three or four at level. I'd rather not have all of the little remaining fun sucked out of my favorite video game.

If that is contempt, I have a different dictionary than you.

For the record, there's video evidence of Pre-(any)-Nerf Darkmoor being soloed. It's certainly soloable now. Not by me, mind you, but it could be done.

Survivor
Jan 09, 2011
BrynnerOfReign on Apr 28, 2016 wrote:
Thanks Monkey!

110 -
92 & below -
when do you want to do it?

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
If you find Darkmoor too easy now. Simply go do something else more of a challenge for you.

I do understand the point about absurd player requests to nerf this, that, and the other. Just because there are lots of players asking for things to be made easier to do, faster to accomplish doesn't mean that KI is capitulating to every frivolous demand. I feel there is some over the top exaggeration on this thread. When anyone who has spent any time at the Darkmoor graveyard knows there are players who will stand there begging to be a part of a team. Usually with not the best gear on. This is not a couple of hundred players or thousands that can't do it. You don't make a change for that many people when you have millions of players.

No Darkmoor is not required, it's not a mainline quest. So because many players can't seem to acquire the gear and spells because of the difficulty, oh well too bad for you? Go finish Khrysalis and Polaris and be happy.

Wow, that's kinda deep. As if there is no new content to challenge you. I personally have all my gear but spent many, many, many hours farming the snot out of that dungeon. So have all of you that have it. Clearly KI feels (as they know the numbers and we don't) that this nerf was warranted.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
seethe42 on Apr 29, 2016 wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you. My myth is the only one that has made it through. need to do it. I'd be up for joining if possible.
that would be great. We should meet up. Maybe we can find others on the boards with the same frustrations and get together as a team, or just help each other through.

My Myth needs to finish the 3rd dungeon, and I have that I need to do the entire thing with.