Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help with Gear?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 01, 2016
I am not very good with gear. I am currently level 53
And I need someone who can tell me what kind of good gear at my level.And explain how to pick out gear. And not
crown gear too at this moment. ~Thanks

Mastermind
Mar 01, 2015
Saberzo on Mar 22, 2016 wrote:
I am not very good with gear. I am currently level 53
And I need someone who can tell me what kind of good gear at my level.And explain how to pick out gear. And not
crown gear too at this moment. ~Thanks
Hi,

Im a lvl 56 wizard and I was about to post a topic on the same thing. But some advice I can give you is first of all, it is usually better to get gear from your school only. (you probably already knew that lol) Also, try to get gear that gives you resist, damage, block, etc to ALL schools. But I would wait until like, at least lvl 60 to REALLY worry about good gear.

Heather StarSong lvl 56
Jasmine SpellCaster lvl 23

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
There's not much in terms of gear options for L55 and under. If you're working on Wintertusk, the L56 crafted gear there is the best you can get for the time being until you hit Waterworks at L60 (even though Wintertusk gear has lower universal resist, sometimes the stats and blade/trap you get are better than Waterworks).

Wintertusk does have some L50 gear you can buy for gold. The vendors are at the beginning of the area and easily accessible.

Otherwise, you might have to stick with L45 bazaar gear and/or Malistaire's robe until you can craft something decent.

If you haven't done crafting, I would highly recommend you level up your crafting. It's necessary at this point and some of the crafted gear is excellent .... so much better than bazaar and general gear drops!

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
It may be in your best interest to reach level 60, then farm Waterworks for the Hangman's gear. However, if you have seriously underleveled gear, you could probably purchase a few things at the Bazaar to hold you over until Waterworks.

Best of luck!
S.S.

Survivor
Feb 01, 2016
Thank you all! And I know I might sound a little crazy, but how do I craft gear guys?

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Saberzo on Mar 23, 2016 wrote:
Thank you all! And I know I might sound a little crazy, but how do I craft gear guys?
Oh, dear.

Your first crafting quest will be in Olde Town. Talk to Miss Tanglewood (I think that's her last name). When you go through the tunnel into Olde Town, she's down the ramp and to the left.

She will tell you to collect, then craft something for her. Buy the recipe from her as well. I hope you've been collecting reagents as you run around the Spiral? If not, make it a habit to collect Ore, Stone Block, and everything else you come across. You can put it in your Shared Bank if you don't want to hold it in your backpack.

Once you're done with your first crafting quest and earned a badge, your next task is to hit the other worlds (Krokotopia, Marleybone, etc). Find the Crafter (they are next to the Reagent Vendors). Do each crafting quest until you can't go any further. There will be a timer at your crafting table, so you can only craft 3 items at any given time.

Crafting will make your life so much easier! You may also want to start gardening. Simple plants at first until you get the hang of which plants provide what. Plants are good for Reagents, especially the rarer ones.

If this all sounds a bit scarey, it's really not! It takes time to learn what is where and where is what, so take your time. There's no rush!

Survivor
Feb 01, 2016
Hmm ok got it. And my last question is...... Is crafting gear way more powerful from the gear from Bazaar?

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Hmm ok got it. And my last question is...... Is crafting gear way more powerful from the gear from Bazaar?
Vastly more powerful. ANd in many cases, crafted gear is better than what you can buy with crowns.

Survivor
Mar 31, 2009
I would say the best gear is either from boss/dungeon drops, crafted, or in packs(wands, jade, ect) once you get around lvl 56. I say lvl 56 because at that level you are able to craft the wintertusk armor and even the athame isnt that bad. Once you're lvl 60 I highly suggest you to farm waterworks for the hat, robe, and boots. The athame/ring from tower of helephant is also good, but it takes forever to find a good team and get through the dungeon so if you dont have a lot of time to farm the place go for the "Bear's claw of death" and the "Black Spinel of Battle" from the bazaar.

Survivor
Feb 01, 2016
crystalwizard12345... on Mar 25, 2016 wrote:
Vastly more powerful. ANd in many cases, crafted gear is better than what you can buy with crowns.
Oh wow, interesting. Well, I appreciate the help everyone! Now I know I need to start crafting

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Crafting has the best overall stats than anything you can find in the Bazaar. Don't even think about buying clothes in the Bazaar after L54. The athame, necklace and ring - some decent ones can be found in the Bazaar, but do a comparison with the crafted versions.

Luckily, if you get one wizard to the highest crafting level, s/he can craft for any lower wizards you might be working on! Gear can be put in the shared bank. The athame, necklace can be shared with other wizards (unless it's a school-specific one).

All 12 of my wizards are or will be wearing crafted gear (a few are just baby wizards). Crown gear above L25 isn't worth getting (seriously). It can look good, but it seriously lacks stats for what you need. Crafted is the best option.

Explorer
Feb 19, 2011
Survivor
Sep 13, 2012
Peeps,

I have previously requested that wizards stats be posted under their names on the message board.
This post has made my case and point. You can get all the feed back in the world from this board, however, opinion will vary or what is good gear depending on how you play. If you aim to be a strong hitter your gear will be different that someone that tanks and supports ect.
If we can see the stats of wizard post and those are the ones you desire. The answer is your game play will be more enjoyable.
As for me 2 ideas.
1. Craft gear which takes time.
2. Ask others you see that has gear you like, where they got it from. ( However, I will tell you some people are honest and others are not).
I was told that I could get certain gear from farming an area. So i did for a month. Just to find out, someone that didn't know was passing on bad information.
Posting of wizards stats under their names would at least give you a more viable option.

Bye Peeps

Explorer
Feb 19, 2011
Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
MADISON461J on Mar 26, 2016 wrote:
Peeps,

I have previously requested that wizards stats be posted under their names on the message board.
This post has made my case and point. You can get all the feed back in the world from this board, however, opinion will vary or what is good gear depending on how you play. If you aim to be a strong hitter your gear will be different that someone that tanks and supports ect.
If we can see the stats of wizard post and those are the ones you desire. The answer is your game play will be more enjoyable.
As for me 2 ideas.
1. Craft gear which takes time.
2. Ask others you see that has gear you like, where they got it from. ( However, I will tell you some people are honest and others are not).
I was told that I could get certain gear from farming an area. So i did for a month. Just to find out, someone that didn't know was passing on bad information.
Posting of wizards stats under their names would at least give you a more viable option.

Bye Peeps
out of curiosity, which wizard would you like displayed? The poster is using an account name and could have a number of wizards of different levels on the account. Are you wanting all of them displayed under the name?

Seems to me it would be a lot better just to have the poster post the stats of the wizard they are asking about.

Survivor
Feb 01, 2016
Yea I might just get the waterworks gear, I am already 58 level now and I am doing a little ok. I might as well just wait. Thanks everyone!

Survivor
Sep 13, 2012
Crystal,

I'm not above listing all wizards and their stats.
It appears that often times people opinions differ on what they think is the best gear. Most people want to be a big hitter. As we all know storm school is a very strong school when it comes to power. However the gear sets are totally different and then also between schools. So if i'm wanting to know about balance gear or how a balance wizard might prepare for a certain battle. It would give you an idea. If someone is speaking from experience or just speaking.
On here there is no way to know.
It's just an idea.
See i don't have a storm wizard myself because i'm not a fan of that school because it seems to easy to me. However, I have seen hits that make me say wow out loud. I can say, if your a storm wizard you can do a certain set up. But I would be lying. Because, honestly idk.
Ya see I have all max level wizards with great stats. I can even post numbers that might be impressive to the strongest wizards. But I really don't.
It's just a thought of how wizards might be able to get good advice.
If I see someone that has good or better stats than myself I might follow their post and learn something.
It doesn't mean the wizards with lower stats don't have good advise.
It's kinda like taking a car to a mechanic verses just asking someone on the street about a certain issue with it.
Both have an opinion. ( which one would you think might have better advise).
idk maybe i'm just crazy

Cya peeps

Survivor
Sep 13, 2012
Crystal,

Also great advise of the Crafted Gear. I 100% agree.

Good advice