Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How does hatching work?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 06, 2010
My pet vampire is eating up all my gold. I just want my enchanted armament to inherit some of the stats of my vampire but every hatch i do i get a vampire not an enchanted armament. They are both ancients too.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2012
Understanding hatching is very simple actually. So basically how it works, is it takes the stats of both Adult+ Parents and mixes them together. So if you have your pet and you hatch with someone else, half of your stats will go into it and the other half from the other pet and then combine into one.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
if only it were so simple

Each time you mix, you get a chance of either parent, with the exception of school-only pets, and a few rare ones that can't be hatched. The pet type is weighted, so it isn't always an even chance. Some pet species are "sticky" -- you'll get them a lot -- others have a lower chance to pass. We have no control over the process, other than initial selection.

Each parent has 10 talent slots, and 10 derby ability slots for a total of up to 20 each (some may be the same on both parents). The baby will inherit 10 of each in a chance mix. Parent talents that have been unlocked, or would be unlocked if the parent was fully trained (this was set when the parent hatched) have a slightly greater chance of coming up in the baby, but there is no guarantee of that, so "hidden" talents may appear at any time.

Usually "perfect" pets are made through repeated hatching in stages. It takes luck, and patience, but you can do it.

Best of luck!

Survivor
Oct 08, 2013
It may take a while to hatch the pet you want. If your pet keeps hatching Into the same thing instead of something different it's probably a common pet, so I would save up some coins if I were you.