Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Glowing Blades and Traps

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 15, 2010
So you're in a fight and you are about to cast a blade. Opps! You already have a blade hovering above you, was it a sharpened blade or a regular? The seconds tick down...10...9...8....7...wait, was it a regular or sharpened?....6...5...4...regular or sharpened?!...2...forget it I'll just cast the sharpened blade. Funny enough it turns out you already had a sharpened blade on the whole time.

KI should add a feature that makes sharpened blades and potent traps glow so that we can differentiate them from regular blades and traps. Nothing is more annoying than being in the middle of a fight and forgetting what blades you have on, or what traps the boss has on them. Even if you call the blades and traps out it's easy to forget to do it every time.

All sharpened blades can glow the color of the school. If I cast a sharpened fire blade that blade would glow red. A regular fire blade wouldn't glow at all. If I cast a potent fire trap that trap would glow red and the regular one wouldn't glow. Sharpened elemental/spirit blades and potent elemental/spirit traps would glow maroon for balance since they are considered balance spells.

I think a lot of people would find this extremely useful. :)

Survivor
Aug 17, 2012
This would be largely useless because blades layer over each other. Glowing would be an ineffectual way to differentiate.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
An old thread, where we talked about possible solutions, can be found HERE. Really, I think the BEST thing to do would be to only display one of each type at a time AND combine that with new color schemes

Survivor
Feb 15, 2010
I revised my idea to have sharpened blades and potent traps glow silver, regular blades and traps remain the same, and item blades and traps glow gold. That way you have three different ways to differentiate three different stacking opportunities. At least when you get hit with a spell like Sirens you'll know which blades you've lost.

Explorer
Sep 27, 2014
I do agree that there ought to be a way to differentiate among the blades once cast, the main issue that I have with a mere visual difference is that, sometimes, the viewing angle and speed of rotation make it difficult to distinguish between the various blades.

I wonder if a better idea might be to allow the player to hover over the indicator at the bottom of the display (the one that shows name, health, pips, etc.) and pop up information on current blades. That is, we already have the card pop-up that shows which spell each player has selected for the round; why not assign a separate area of that info-bar to pop up a list of charms, and another to pop up wards. It would probably have to be limited to the last five placed in order to prevent filling up the entire screen, of course.

In addition, I think we should have some sort of indicator that tells us who is stunned. This would be particularly useful for when we get hit with Medusa, since that one stuns for two rounds.

Survivor
Mar 29, 2010
Obsidian Knight on Feb 15, 2016 wrote:
So you're in a fight and you are about to cast a blade. Opps! You already have a blade hovering above you, was it a sharpened blade or a regular? The seconds tick down...10...9...8....7...wait, was it a regular or sharpened?....6...5...4...regular or sharpened?!...2...forget it I'll just cast the sharpened blade. Funny enough it turns out you already had a sharpened blade on the whole time.

KI should add a feature that makes sharpened blades and potent traps glow so that we can differentiate them from regular blades and traps. Nothing is more annoying than being in the middle of a fight and forgetting what blades you have on, or what traps the boss has on them. Even if you call the blades and traps out it's easy to forget to do it every time.

All sharpened blades can glow the color of the school. If I cast a sharpened fire blade that blade would glow red. A regular fire blade wouldn't glow at all. If I cast a potent fire trap that trap would glow red and the regular one wouldn't glow. Sharpened elemental/spirit blades and potent elemental/spirit traps would glow maroon for balance since they are considered balance spells.

I think a lot of people would find this extremely useful. :)
Though I like the idea, there are many many types of blades, and having only one small type of blade "glowing" would not really help much.

I am an attack-based wizard (Fire) and use a lot of blades and traps, which can really stack up. For example:

Item Card Fire Blade
Treasure Card Fire Blade
Pet May-Cast Fire Blade
Regular Fire Blade
Sharpened Fire Blade

Having only one of all those blades glow wouldn't help that much, in my opinion. Also I think it adds to the challenge and game strategy when you need to stay focused and remember what you're doing.

I always go into battle with a plan of action, and as my cards are drawn and my enemies fight, I modify my strategy as needed to get the best possible outcome. Remembering what I'm doing is just a part of that. It all works together quite fluidly.

If you need help remembering, I highly recommend the Pet Pavillion dance game. It works with short term memory. After getting perfect almost every time on it for awhile, I noticed that in every day life my short term memory was much improved as well.

Strengthen yourself, and you strengthen your wizard!

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
Ellie Goldenheart on Mar 14, 2016 wrote:
Though I like the idea, there are many many types of blades, and having only one small type of blade "glowing" would not really help much.

I am an attack-based wizard (Fire) and use a lot of blades and traps, which can really stack up. For example:

Item Card Fire Blade
Treasure Card Fire Blade
Pet May-Cast Fire Blade
Regular Fire Blade
Sharpened Fire Blade

Having only one of all those blades glow wouldn't help that much, in my opinion. Also I think it adds to the challenge and game strategy when you need to stay focused and remember what you're doing.

I always go into battle with a plan of action, and as my cards are drawn and my enemies fight, I modify my strategy as needed to get the best possible outcome. Remembering what I'm doing is just a part of that. It all works together quite fluidly.

If you need help remembering, I highly recommend the Pet Pavillion dance game. It works with short term memory. After getting perfect almost every time on it for awhile, I noticed that in every day life my short term memory was much improved as well.

Strengthen yourself, and you strengthen your wizard!
Not all people put 100% of their concentration into the game when they are playing it, they could be watching a video or something in the background especially with pesky things like questing and farming. Because of this (don't care that I started a sentence with because), many players get lost about what they cast and this problem mainly occurs in team fights. Usually when I used to fight Morganthe, I lost track of feints easily because I was watching a video in the background and could've costed some problems for the group.

Lvl 110
Lvl 53
Lvl 25

Defender
Nov 14, 2015
I feel special cause i automautically remember most of the time just by habit and instinct lol my brain doesn't typically let me forget and if i do it usually passively makes me do what needs to be done

Survivor
Nov 08, 2009
dayerider on Feb 16, 2016 wrote:
An old thread, where we talked about possible solutions, can be found HERE. Really, I think the BEST thing to do would be to only display one of each type at a time AND combine that with new color schemes
I agree, one type of each trap / blade and maybe have a number displayed over it to show the amount.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Sneezypants05 on Feb 18, 2016 wrote:
I do agree that there ought to be a way to differentiate among the blades once cast, the main issue that I have with a mere visual difference is that, sometimes, the viewing angle and speed of rotation make it difficult to distinguish between the various blades.

I wonder if a better idea might be to allow the player to hover over the indicator at the bottom of the display (the one that shows name, health, pips, etc.) and pop up information on current blades. That is, we already have the card pop-up that shows which spell each player has selected for the round; why not assign a separate area of that info-bar to pop up a list of charms, and another to pop up wards. It would probably have to be limited to the last five placed in order to prevent filling up the entire screen, of course.

In addition, I think we should have some sort of indicator that tells us who is stunned. This would be particularly useful for when we get hit with Medusa, since that one stuns for two rounds.
This is a good and much easier idea. While I have a good long term memory, it is still a problem for people with shorter term memories and this feature should definitely be implemented.

Survivor
Nov 16, 2015
Sneezypants05 on Feb 18, 2016 wrote:

Great idea!